Connacht 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht 2021/22

Post by cormac »

Bealham has signed a new 2-year deal
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 3:57 pm Bealham has signed a new 2-year deal
Good news. I always felt he was different though. He's making the Irish 23s when everyone is fit.

He's too important for Ireland, too important to keep Connacht competitive and too important to keep Connacht competitive in the interpros.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great news for Connacht.
He is one of the most important players in their squad.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 2:34 pm
I think we could see many players switching provinces this summer. There has always been some but we might see more than usual and it won't be Nucifora's doing. It will simply come down to supply and demand. Not just about money but players looking for game time.

I think there will be a reduction of most squad sizes and a reduction of the average player wage. The pressure coming from abroad is less now. There will be a few who decides to leave but the IRFU will weigh up who is leaving by the potential savings by reducing wages and I think they won't mind a few players leaving.
Absolutely agree with you.

The change in the URC schedule and the unfortunate decline of the Heineken Cup should be beginning to act as a levelling function as far as Irish provincial squads are concerned – the standard of the league has improved quite substantially and there are more 'big' games [all the SA teams are big games based on their history as teams] but fewer games overall. You should be able to launch an international bid based on your league form.

Leinster's game against Bath, Munster's game against Wasps and Connacht's game against Stade Francais, all in the European Cup, were some of the easiest they've played this year. There doesn't look to be any step up at all between league and cup ... it's as often a step down.

Big squad sizes aren't as key to getting through the season, and no clashes with international weekends means you can pick your strongest team more often. Fewer games will encourage fringe players from the provinces to move where they have the chance to play more often.

No idea how this will pan out for Irish rugby, I should add. The system has been massively reliant on Leinster bringing though younger players in the Pro14 and that is going to be a huge change. There's no point in beating around the bush to make it more palatable for fans of other provinces ... Ireland are massively reliant on what Leinster do.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Yeah. The group stage is a doddle now so teams are going to get weaker.

With a home and away last 16 seeding doesn't matter until the QF which isn't enough for some sides to worry about.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Confirmation today that Papali'i is off to Brive on 2 year deal in summer.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently Peter Robb is not going to be offered another contract at Connacht. Makes sense, he's way to injury prone and with Daly re-signed and Forde and Jennings coming through it's an area to save money in. Hope he picks up something elsewhere as he's still young.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht looking to sign LH Irish qualified Finn Wright from Australia. Won't be on a lot of money and Friend seems to have a good scouting system in Oz so let's see.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 11:29 am Connacht looking to sign LH Irish qualified Finn Wright from Australia. Won't be on a lot of money and Friend seems to have a good scouting system in Oz so let's see.
There are nine props currently on senior contracts and one in the academy. Wright has been brought in on a senior contract, Roydon Swift will join the academy, and there are the rumours that Ben Popplewell will do the same.

That's thirteen props, sounds like a lot. Who might depart?
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

berliner wrote: January 7th, 2022, 12:38 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 11:29 am Connacht looking to sign LH Irish qualified Finn Wright from Australia. Won't be on a lot of money and Friend seems to have a good scouting system in Oz so let's see.
There are nine props currently on senior contracts and one in the academy. Wright has been brought in on a senior contract, Roydon Swift will join the academy, and there are the rumours that Ben Popplewell will do the same.

I would imagine Robertson-McCoy will not be renewed and would be surprised to see Greg McGrath kept on.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by berliner

No idea. But again most are on small money. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Where did you hear that Wright is on a senior deal? I'd be surprised if he was anything other than academy/dev. Tuimauga and one of McGrath or DRMcC will be off id imagine.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Is Roydon Swift Irish qualified? I looked him up and all I could find was he was on someone's schools team of the year.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

scentofgunpowder wrote: January 7th, 2022, 7:24 pm

Where did you hear that Wright is on a senior deal? I'd be surprised if he was anything other than academy/dev. Tuimauga and one of McGrath or DRMcC will be off id imagine.
Now that you query it, I can't find the article which gave me that idea. It didn't state he was on a senior contract - that was just my interpretation - but there was no mention of the academy. In short, I may well be wrong about his status.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by dropkick

Is Roydon Swift Irish qualified? I looked him up and all I could find was he was on someone's schools team of the year.
No idea but I would imagine so.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Another loss by Connacht. Once again a great team but not a squad to help them go to the next level. They need a LH, two locks and a ball-carrying backrow. Unfortunately they don't have a LH. McGrath isn't trusted and neither is Tuimauga right now. Buckley is near retirement age and while Burke has been fantastic you need at least two quality props in that position.

Dillane is leaving next season and Fifita isn't working out. Thornbury is quality but injured a lot.

Papalii seems to be no longer trusted by the coaching staff. They seem worried about him getting another red and been out for the rest of the season.

It's a big ask replacing that many players with Connacht's budget. Friend has done an incredible job with his moneyball signings but I and other's feel if the IRFU just backed them a bit more (like they did Lam) they could be a serious outfit.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Sunshine, that's a bit pessimistic, Burke has been great, duggan is decent in set piece and has youth on his side. Buckley is 31 not old for a prop, should have a year or two.

With Jennings, Forde, Dylan tm and winger can't think of his name pushing up from academy that should be relatively low cost contracts plus Arnold, Dillane, papilii, fafita and maybe a few more moving on we should be able to target a new signing or two.

What about Ed Byrne, Vakh Abladze and Martin Maloney with a short term cover option for Mick Kearney
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The most obvious inter provincial transfer of all time is surely Peter Dooley to Connacht?

Clearly good enough to cement that #1 jersey, now fourth choice LH at Leinster with Milne / Boyle coming behind.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Dooley was so obvious a couple of years ago that I left him out because he must have had plenty of chances but didn't want a move anywhere or he'd have been off.