Connacht 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Connacht 2021/22

Post by riocard911 »

"Harry? Let me be as frank as possible here. I don't think Harry Byrne has ever done anything in a Leinster or Ireland jersey that I've seen which has made me feel he deserves, at his current development stage, one single second of test rugby participation. I'd have him bottom of the list, below Burns, Healy and Frawley in that order."

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this one, Jezzer. From what I have seen of HB thus far i.e. all his appearances for the Ireland u20s and for Leinster - either on the telly, at the RDS or both - I put him ahead of Burns, Healy, Frawley and Carty. To give you just one example: in the match vs Glasgow away in November 2020, where he steered Leinster to a 19-32 victory, he was magnificent. It was on the basis of performances such as that, that the management had him lined up to start the home Heino match vs Northampton the following January. Unfortunately he got injured in the warm up and hasn't had a decent run of games since then. Burns and Carty for me are good URC/ERCC level players. Healy - personally I don't get all the raving. Sure he's got a monster boot, but he can blow hot and cold too. Of all the outhalves I've mentioned, Harry, from what I have seen of him and the others, has the highest ceiling and shows the most promise by some distance. I think therefore he should be nurtured in the hope, that he fulfills his obvious potential. I have every confidence, that this is what Faz mór, Leo, Stu and Felipe are currently trying to do.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

riocard911 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 3:13 pm "Harry? Let me be as frank as possible here. I don't think Harry Byrne has ever done anything in a Leinster or Ireland jersey that I've seen which has made me feel he deserves, at his current development stage, one single second of test rugby participation. I'd have him bottom of the list, below Burns, Healy and Frawley in that order."

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this one, Jezzer. From what I have seen of HB thus far i.e. all his appearances for the Ireland u20s and for Leinster - either on the telly, at the RDS or both - I put him ahead of Burns, Healy, Frawley and Carty. To give you just one example: in the match vs Glasgow away in November 2020, where he steered Leinster to a 19-32 victory, he was magnificent. It was on the basis of performances such as that, that the management had him lined up to start the home Heino match vs Northampton the following January. Unfortunately he got injured in the warm up and hasn't had a decent run of games since then. Burns and Carty for me are good URC/ERCC level players. Healy - personally I don't get all the raving. Sure he's got a monster boot, but he can blow hot and cold too. Of all the outhalves I've mentioned, Harry, from what I have seen of him and the others, has the highest ceiling and shows the most promise by some distance. I think therefore he should be nurtured in the hope, that he fulfills his obvious potential. I have every confidence, that this is what Faz mór, Leo, Stu and Felipe are currently trying to do.
I don't disagree about the possibility he has a very high ceiling, but right now the floor is below required test level and he's playing closer to the floor than the ceiling!

If we can get him some Heino sub minutes and the odd URC start, I'm all for it.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

OTT wrote: December 1st, 2021, 12:09 pm We critique players much harder who play for Munster and Leinster than we do for Connacht or Ulster imo.

We go on about Ross Byrne or Harry or Joey or Healy or Murray or JGP or McGrath or Casey and remember their bad games, we tend to blanket their good games into being because the packs they are playing with are better and give them a good platform but Carty and Marmion/Blade we tend to remember only their good games and patronise Connacht and write off any loss as being because they don’t have the players. You can’t have it both ways, Carty has played in both the bad losses against Cardiff and Dragons this season and he was rubbish in that Dragons match, also it gets pushed around that Carty was made the scapegoat for Ireland’s World Cup game against Japan and has been punished since with Ireland, Carty showed no control in that game when he came on and that has always been his Achilles heel and it still is when Connacht are under the pump,if he was playing regularly for Munster or Leinster he would be described as flaky. Ross Byrne was the guy who missed out on the World Cup in 2019 he was the unlucky one at that time.

The year Connacht won the league people might remember (but probably would choose not to) that it was AJ McGinty who came in during the season and took the 10 shirt and gave Connacht the consistency and control that matched the Lamb model (not surprising he’s signing him again for Bristol).

Carty is 29 now, fair play when he plays well we should give him his dues, he’s clearly a really talented player but it’s ridiculous to forget the games where he isn’t on it, they are not that hard to find there’s been loads of them through the years. That’s why he hasn’t got more Ireland caps, Bundee and Robbie before him are proof that you will get picked for Ireland regularly if the coach thinks you are god enough to it doesn’t matter who you play for.
Just a fact check on your points above OTT, Carty started that Japan game, not came on. Carbery came on and was unable to influence the game.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

I see the flashes of talent from Harry but it's not enough for me.

I understand the view that he has a high upside and therefore is worth the time investment but it's Leinster who need to invest not Ireland. He needs to become comfortable then dominant at league level and then try to being his game to the international camps and compete. He's no use as a third choice passenger at the world cup he needs to be a contender or he won't travel. When push comes to shove the coaches will go with the guy who has demonstrated that he can step in and run the show not the guy they hope might.imo
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's not his fault he was picked for Ireland when he didn't have much gametime this season.

Faz limited his options by bringing 3 outhalves. But we won 3 tests so it's all good. Harry Byrne was clearly a medium-long term selection.

Before the break Carbery was under pressure. He kinda still is. But he didn't stick his neck out when standing 10.

Harry Byrne can pass soft or with a lot of zip. He can kick pass like his brother and has good range long. He's elusive, fast and can tackle. He can offload and make split second reads. His party trick is that he's surprisingly good at crashing over from 5m and that's rare in an outhalf. He can pick apart defences.

His brother isn't as gifted (he is more talented than he's given credit for), but he figures out a way to win. If Harry can do the same then it's a really good thing for Ireland and Leinster.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:49 pm It's not his fault he was picked for Ireland when he didn't have much gametime this season.

Faz limited his options by bringing 3 outhalves. But we won 3 tests so it's all good. Harry Byrne was clearly a medium-long term selection.

Before the break Carbery was under pressure. He kinda still is. But he didn't stick his neck out when standing 10.

Harry Byrne can pass soft or with a lot of zip. He can kick pass like his brother and has good range long. He's elusive, fast and can tackle. He can offload and make split second reads. His party trick is that he's surprisingly good at crashing over from 5m and that's rare in an outhalf. He can pick apart defences.

His brother isn't as gifted (he is more talented than he's given credit for), but he figures out a way to win. If Harry can do the same then it's a really good thing for Ireland and Leinster.
+1
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Well Connacht tore us a new one right enough! We were awful especially in defence but they played some great rugby especially in what looked like poor conditions their back play was excellent. I thought we had them in trouble in the scrum but from 9 to 15 they were a different class to us

They won't lose many players to test call ups and I reckon they will be a good bet for the play offs, one of the better sides in the URC to watch
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Connacht have Stade Francais in their first HCC game.
Could see Connacht winning this one and setting themselves up for an interesting HCC.
Here's hoping.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Try Blade, Carty converts. Connaught 7-0 ahead after 11 mins.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Sanchez peno - 7-3.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Carty kicks the restart straight out...
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Second scrum peno in a row for Stade....
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Sanchez overcomes the westerly gales to land a peno from halfway! 7-6.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

2nd try for Connacht just as the rain fills in. 12-6.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

The Stade kicker can't figure out this wind at all.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Westies handed out a hiding to SF, 36 - 9
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FT: 36-9. Great result and strong finish from the Westies!!!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

As usual all the headlines will go to Munster but Connacht beating a pretty good SF Team is probably the bigger story this week. I know french teams don't travel well but that was a really good side that they put out. The URC has been a boon for teams like Connacht and there style of play will cause plenty of teams trouble.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Papali'i is off to Brive next year which puts Connacht in the market for a number eight. Butler is meant to be out of contract too. I could see one of our backrow's been moved for the 'good of Irish Rugby'.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

sunshiner1 wrote: December 15th, 2021, 2:19 pm Papali'i is off to Brive next year which puts Connacht in the market for a number eight. Butler is meant to be out of contract too. I could see one of our backrow's been moved for the 'good of Irish Rugby'.
they'd have to want to move too.

I Imagine Deegan will be the most under pressure.