Ulster 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Schumi
Enlightened

Re: Ulster 2021/22

Post by Schumi »

They could both have been sent off there for me.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Very sloppy from TOT. Fresh off the bench too so no excuse.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Toulouse are by no means unbeatable
They were very poor for large parts of the match tonight and got lucky that O’Toole had a moment of madness
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

Dundalk 1 wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:59 pm Toulouse are by no means unbeatable
They were very poor for large parts of the match tonight and got lucky that O’Toole had a moment of madness
Missing Baille and Marchand and a patchwork backline outside of half backs. Not sure how many they might have back in 3 /4 weeks' time, but likely they will be much tougher to beat at that stage!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dundalk 1 wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:28 pm Carlay is a good homer tonight so far
Lowry should have got yellow and probably red
Could not disagree more. He was in a realistic position to catch the ball, play on.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

the spoofer wrote: April 17th, 2022, 8:49 am
Dundalk 1 wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:28 pm Carlay is a good homer tonight so far
Lowry should have got yellow and probably red
Could not disagree more. He was in a realistic position to catch the ball, play on.
Disagreements on what constitutes foul play in relation to contesting garryowens are not new
Lowry seemed to go past the ball and got in under Ramos
To me that’s illegal and the only question should have been the card colour
Andrew Trimble and Stephen Ferris neither of whom are in any way biased against Ulster in commentary thought it was a penalty and were fearful over the card colour
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Really good game from Ulster. I thought that even before the red card they were tightening up a bit and kicking quite good ball away to an improving Toulouse team. That for me was probably the losing of the game. If they'd hung onto it and kept attacking i think there were penalties and maybe even tries in it for them.

Burns is a great distributor and has a good range of kicking skills but he never threatens the line. McCloskey should be Ulster's star turn but defenders push off Burns and funnel onto big Stu and further out. It condenses the space for the outside backs who, if given space, could be lethal. They need to solve the 10 issue if they're serious about pushing on. I'm not sure the pack needs too much more. Maybe another 6/8 option - Crothers?

Really gutting for them to be knocked out despite being by far the better team. But Toulouse, like France, win purely as a result of a couple of star players who will get their three tries minimum one way or another.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think they lost it with that last try the week before. It looked to me like Vermuelen got a great steal but the penalty went to Toulouse and they scored soon after. I think that extra buffer would have been enough.

Ulster are in a tricky place. I don’t think they’ll improve enough up front or at ten to take advantage of all the talent they have.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

jezzer wrote: April 20th, 2022, 9:41 am Really good game from Ulster. I thought that even before the red card they were tightening up a bit and kicking quite good ball away to an improving Toulouse team. That for me was probably the losing of the game. If they'd hung onto it and kept attacking i think there were penalties and maybe even tries in it for them.

Burns is a great distributor and has a good range of kicking skills but he never threatens the line. McCloskey should be Ulster's star turn but defenders push off Burns and funnel onto big Stu and further out. It condenses the space for the outside backs who, if given space, could be lethal. They need to solve the 10 issue if they're serious about pushing on. I'm not sure the pack needs too much more. Maybe another 6/8 option - Crothers?

Really gutting for them to be knocked out despite being by far the better team. But Toulouse, like France, win purely as a result of a couple of star players who will get their three tries minimum one way or another.
If they could get Addison back at full back for a good long run they could give Lowry a decent shot at 10 - he could be exactly the answer they need. Failing that I reckon Doak could also be a realistic option - except they'd then need to find a a long term replacement for Cooney
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by jezzer

Really good game from Ulster. I thought that even before the red card they were tightening up a bit and kicking quite good ball away to an improving Toulouse team. That for me was probably the losing of the game. If they'd hung onto it and kept attacking i think there were penalties and maybe even tries in it for them.

I think Burns's form has been fantastic all year and while not a top level international he's an excellent player. I feel that Ulster like most of the Irish provinces are missing some heft. All their second rows are agile and apart from Vermeulen no one is really there to give them go forward ball. Until they rectify this they will always be bridesmaids.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 20th, 2022, 2:38 pm
by jezzer

I think Burns's form has been fantastic all year and while not a top level international he's an excellent player. I feel that Ulster like most of the Irish provinces are missing some heft. All their second rows are agile and apart from Vermeulen no one is really there to give them go forward ball. Until they rectify this they will always be bridesmaids.
Burns is really getting the most out of himself and Ulster benefit in a lot of ways. But your 10 needs to be a breaking threat in some sense or your whole backline struggles.

Burns facilitates well but every team Ulster plays knows that and can discard him as a breaking option.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Very sad news to hear, hopefully his son pulls through.
Great player who I always loved watching.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/fo ... 79974.html
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That's very sad about Wannenberg.

Sad to think that one moment all is good and a moment later a police car chase ends it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What awful news. IIRC he really turned his life around and for it to then be cut short so randomly and tragically is just terrible.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

How did John McKee not end up in the ulster academy, they are very short in the tight 5 and looks a great prospect, will they move to get him back?
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 20th, 2022, 12:24 pm I think they lost it with that last try the week before. It looked to me like Vermuelen got a great steal but the penalty went to Toulouse and they scored soon after. I think that extra buffer would have been enough.

Ulster are in a tricky place. I don’t think they’ll improve enough up front or at ten to take advantage of all the talent they have.
This season Ulster Supporters watched their team win home and away against Leinster, get humbled in Lansdowne Rd by Connacht 36-11, lose away to Munster but still manage to top the league table, have their away win against Stormers denied to them (with subsequent acknowledgement by the URC head of match officials that a legitimate & decisive try was wrongly disallowed), win away in Toulouse, only to lose at home in the return fixture (resulting in a 50-49 aggregate exit from the Champions Cup), lose at home to Munster, dropping to 5th in the URC....and when they might have harboured hopes that Leinster might do them a favour in the Ed Sheeran rearranged Leinster v Munster match this weekend.....Frank Murphy is chosen to Ref that game.....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

In fairness. Ulster's destiny is on their own hands.

Win at home to the sharks and they will get a home QF regardless of Munster.

Lose and they won't. Regardless of Munster.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Good luck to them vs the Sharks. SUFTUM!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ulster
Mike Lowry; Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney; Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Nathan Doak, Stewart Moore, Rob Lyttle.

Sharks
Aphelele Fassi; Werner Kok, Lukhanyo Am, Marius Louw, Makazole Mapimpi; Curwin Bosch, Jaden Hendrikse; Ox Nche, Bongi Mbonambi, Thomas du Toit (c), Ruben van Heerden, Reniel Hugo, Siya Kolisi, Henco Venter, Phepsi Buthelezi.

Replacements - Kerron van Vuuren, Ntuthuko Mchunu, Khutha Mchunu, Hyron Andrews, Jeandre Labuschagne, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Grant Williams, Boeta Chamberlain.

Defintely one to watch, some big names on those two teams!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd been wondering where Jack McGrath was recently and I see he has a hip injury, worrying.