Ulster 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster 2021/22

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Re Willy Anderson Biography

It's a good read, from a unique perspective in Irish Rugby. Comparable, but very different, back story as Keith Earls in that both are so far from the traditional rugby pathways of Munster or Ulster.

I think both books were very interesting.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That's some Bench for Ulster

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-cardiff-tea ... 9-Mar2022/

Who wouldn't like to see that unload on 45 / 50 mins
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 5:37 pm That's some Bench for Ulster

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-cardiff-tea ... 9-Mar2022/

Who wouldn't like to see that unload on 45 / 50 mins
Aaron Sexton on the bench. At last we might get to see this mythical beast of a man in the flesh. Gawd I hope he's half decent at rugby.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 2:01 pm
Oldschool wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 10:47 am Just started reading Willie Anderson's autobiography.
First two chapters are about his flag carrying activity in Argentina. A horrifying experience for him.
So far it's worth the read.
Has anyone else read it.
I was discussing it on the book thread in the general chat section.
I enjoyed it. He's had a life less than ordinary has our Willie
Can't believe I've been side tracked since the 29th November.
Where does the time go.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dreadful call from the usually excellent Hollie Davidson there at the end - what makes it worse is that she vocalised her misunderstanding of the laws and used it as justification for ruling out the try. Going to be having a long chat with her assessor on monday I reckon
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 4th, 2022, 9:23 pm Dreadful call from the usually excellent Hollie Davidson there at the end - what makes it worse is that she vocalised her misunderstanding of the laws and used it as justification for ruling out the try. Going to be having a long chat with her assessor on monday I reckon
That was a little disappointing but she had a very good game.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

The blues much like the dragons vs munster were little short of pathetic

They had a lot of internationals on display but were blown away and their back 3 in defence were as close to cowardly as you will ever see in professional rugby

Mccloskey at centre is really unlucky he is up against guys like Aki Ringrose and Henshaw otherwise he would have 50 plus caps and be pushing to be a lion , he always impresses me every time I see him play
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

the spoofer wrote: March 4th, 2022, 10:01 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: March 4th, 2022, 9:23 pm Dreadful call from the usually excellent Hollie Davidson there at the end - what makes it worse is that she vocalised her misunderstanding of the laws and used it as justification for ruling out the try. Going to be having a long chat with her assessor on monday I reckon
That was a little disappointing but she had a very good game.
Yes, she was generally pretty good. She let the game flow and got most things right I felt. Having said that, the no try ruling was a bold one on her part. The TMO told her repeatedly the hands went backwards and there was nothing clear and obvious by which he was saying he thought it was a try. The referees decision is final so she was right to back herself ultimately but in those circumstances, I wonder if she should have been conferring with the ARs from the touchline to get a feeling for whether her view was sustainable or not. It didn't affect the result but it's a shame as it was an absolute belter of a try to be chalked off for a controversial refereeing decision. It was a try all day long from my perspective and I've not heard much dissent from that opinion so I think Ms Davidson is very much in the minority in her viewpoint.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Loved that John Cooney took the conversion anyway and one of the touchies entered into the spirit of things when he watched the kick all the way and confirmed the score with his flag
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Jake Flannery to Ulster is an interesting move. Personally think he’s a fullback but if you want to try and make your way at ten then Ulster is probably the best opportunity right now.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 14th, 2022, 7:52 pm Jake Flannery to Ulster is an interesting move. Personally think he’s a fullback but if you want to try and make your way at ten then Ulster is probably the best opportunity right now.
The last Munster 10 to go North, Bill Johnston, disappeared without trace.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

betty swallocks wrote: March 14th, 2022, 8:13 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 14th, 2022, 7:52 pm Jake Flannery to Ulster is an interesting move. Personally think he’s a fullback but if you want to try and make your way at ten then Ulster is probably the best opportunity right now.
The last Munster 10 to go North, Bill Johnston, disappeared without trace.
He did. Too late and too much damage already done. He's with Ealing now. Signed a 2 year contract a few weeks before Munster brought in Carbery as their 5th outhalf.

Flannery is in a different position. Carbery will be injured/away a lot and there are 2 outhalves only a little older. Versatility gets him in 23s for a team that plays a lot of 6-2 splits.

Burns has 17 starts this season for Ulster, 9 of them were 80 minute jobs. Curtis and Lowry are off in other positions. Lowry will probably get a chance at 10. Madigan has another year. Humphreys is gonna get chances at some point.

It's not a big stretch for Healy to make a wider Ireland squad, Carbery be injured and Munster be back down to Scannell as break glass option.

Next coach might like a playmaking 15.

Anyway, it's done now. Good luck to him.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

Jake Flannery to Ulster is an interesting move. Personally think he’s a fullback but if you want to try and make your way at ten then Ulster is probably the best opportunity right now.
Surprised he didn't end up at Connacht. Fitzgerald is solid but unspectacular I think he would have overtaken him to be the Connacht number 2 in time. That said they barely play Madigan so he might get gametime and compete with Burns. All the best to him.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Luke Marshall the forgotten man of Irish Rugby is back in the squad heading for South Africa. Genuinely hope he has a good run he's been destroyed by injury the last few years.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So it’s now been confirmed by the URC that the decision to rule out Ulster’s try was incorrect. That really is a shocking call, the officials seemed to be so clear on the situation that I had been wondering if there were laws regarding the dead ball area/try scoring motions that I wasn’t aware of.

An astonishing call on a few different levels, they were robbed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 28th, 2022, 4:18 pm So it’s now been confirmed by the URC that the decision to rule out Ulster’s try was incorrect. That really is a shocking call, the officials seemed to be so clear on the situation that I had been wondering if there were laws regarding the dead ball area/try scoring motions that I wasn’t aware of.

An astonishing call on a few different levels, they were robbed.
If a tackled player is in the act of reaching out to ground the ball for a try or
touch down, players may pull the ball from the player’s possession but must
not kick or attempt to kick the ball. Sanction: Penalty.

Law 21.10
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Where did URC confirm it? I'm curious about the rest of the decision.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There wasn’t a kick though so that didn’t apply.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

ronk wrote: March 28th, 2022, 4:34 pm Where did URC confirm it? I'm curious about the rest of the decision.
https://www.the42.ie/stormers-v-ulster- ... =shortlink
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 28th, 2022, 4:36 pm There wasn’t a kick though so that didn’t apply.
It applied in so far as the defender was explicitly permitted to do it.

So the question of touching the ball or the hand that the ref asked wasn't relevant.

Then the question becomes was the ball lost forward.

I'd venture that the new law is unclear and needs work.