Ulster 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Ulster 2021/22

Post by leinsterforever »

Yellow?! Yellow?! Since when is deliberately making contact with the eye area yellow??

The pass for Baloucoune's try did look a bit suspicious, but there was nothing 'clear and obvious' from the camera angles shown - a bit the same as for the Roos try.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

leinsterforever wrote: June 12th, 2022, 8:04 am Yellow?! Yellow?! Since when is deliberately making contact with the eye area yellow??

The pass for Baloucoune's try did look a bit suspicious, but there was nothing 'clear and obvious' from the camera angles shown - a bit the same as for the Roos try.
That was a red card all day every day, scummy play if you ask me.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 12th, 2022, 2:37 am Random thoughts about the game:

1. Moore has a hell of a left boot on him. Would bring him along to NZ.
2. Wondering what would have happened if the Ulster players had the correct studs going out there. Hume fell on his face which led to the first try and Cooney slipped while kicking so the ball hit the post.
3. O'Toole was immense. If he's fit then he's on the plane to NZ for me.
4. Warwick I watched a lot. Did well in the scrum but so many brainless penalties around the field. If he wants to become an international he needs to cut that out.
5. People complaining about the ref been nice to Stormer's need to look at Balacoune's first try and the red card. Another ref's most likely would have not allowed the try and could have given a yellow.
6. Ulster's maul defense was excellent.
7. That they got 30,000 in the stadium for the game and allegedly could have had more if they hadn't had covid restrictions is great for the league.
At 70 minutes there’s very little difference between red and yellow even if the game went on to 84
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It could have gone to extra time though.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by leinsterforever

Yellow?! Yellow?! Since when is deliberately making contact with the eye area yellow??
Dunno. You'd have to ask Schalk Burger he'd give you a better idea of it. :lol:

Also not saying it wasn't a red but plenty of ref's would have bottled it and given a yellow to appease the hometown support. If you think otherwise than your naive.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 12th, 2022, 2:29 pm
by leinsterforever

Dunno. You'd have to ask Schalk Burger he'd give you a better idea of it. :lol:

Also not saying it wasn't a red but plenty of ref's would have bottled it and given a yellow to appease the hometown support. If you think otherwise than your naive.
you could say that about any decision on a rugby pitch.

stone cold red card all day, every day
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 12th, 2022, 2:37 am Random thoughts about the game:

1. Moore has a hell of a left boot on him. Would bring him along to NZ.
2. Wondering what would have happened if the Ulster players had the correct studs going out there. Hume fell on his face which led to the first try and Cooney slipped while kicking so the ball hit the post.
3. O'Toole was immense. If he's fit then he's on the plane to NZ for me.
4. Warwick I watched a lot. Did well in the scrum but so many brainless penalties around the field. If he wants to become an international he needs to cut that out.
5. People complaining about the ref been nice to Stormer's need to look at Balacoune's first try and the red card. Another ref's most likely would have not allowed the try and could have given a yellow.
6. Ulster's maul defense was excellent.
7. That they got 30,000 in the stadium for the game and allegedly could have had more if they hadn't had covid restrictions is great for the league.
Agree with you about O'Toole sunshiner, but who from Conway, Balacoune, or Hansen would you leave behind to accommodate Moore on the plane to NZ. For me the back three players going to NZ are Keenan, Balacoune, Hansen, Lowe, Earls, Conway, and one of Haley or Larmour.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I wouldn't bring Earls just from an age perspective or Lowe if he isn't 100% fit. I would rather blood someone new than give a veteran who is in the winter of his career or a guy who is only at 80% capacity against New Zealand.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 13th, 2022, 2:08 am I wouldn't bring Earls just from an age perspective or Lowe if he isn't 100% fit. I would rather blood someone new than give a veteran who is in the winter of his career or a guy who is only at 80% capacity against New Zealand.
Lowe has over a month to recover and he was able to play 80 minutes in the final. I'd expect him to be fine.

I could an argument for resting Earls but it's a NZ tour and a big chance a year out from a RWC. He's on a central contract, I don't care if he misses half of Munster's season to give him a rest though.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

How are people calling Moore's pass to RB for the first Ulster try forward?

Comes out of the hands backwards/flat at worst and Moore's momentum means it ends up backwards.

Similar to Ringrose pass to Lowe against Connacht in the Aviva, albeit not even as pronounced as that one.

Roos action for Stormers second try was far more likely to be forward.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: June 13th, 2022, 10:46 am How are people calling Moore's pass to RB for the first Ulster try forward?

Comes out of the hands backwards/flat at worst and Moore's momentum means it ends up backwards.

Similar to Ringrose pass to Lowe against Connacht in the Aviva, albeit not even as pronounced as that one.

Some of that is logical, but only if Moore is running directly parallel to touchline!

Moore is in fact running almost diagonally towards corner flag. Although the ball MAY HAVE come out of his hands backwards, the ball was propelled forwards, relative to the point from which it was passed. The oft quoted phrase 'the ball must come out of his hands backwards is totally subject to what direction the passer is moving. The key question is whether the ball is propelled forwards - relative to the goal lines.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 13th, 2022, 2:22 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 13th, 2022, 10:46 am How are people calling Moore's pass to RB for the first Ulster try forward?

Some of that is logical, but only if Moore is running directly parallel to touchline!

Moore is in fact running almost diagonally towards corner flag
. Although the ball MAY HAVE come out of his hands backwards, the ball was propelled forwards, relative to the point from which it was passed. The oft quoted phrase 'the ball must come out of his hands backwards is totally subject to what direction the passer is moving. The key question is whether the ball is propelled forwards - relative to the goal lines.
He is in his hoop! That's totally wrong.

He's running forward into the 22 and angling himself to give the pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyO9HV ... mierSports

Pause this at 2.39 and then at 2.41 when he throws the pass, he makes 8-10 yards and when he throws the pass he's still moving forward.

Only the hit from Stormers player stops his momentum towards the try line and ball comes out of his hands in a spiral going backward. It's absolutely not a forward pass.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

As forward a pass as you'll see. Look at the cut lines on the grass. He throws the ball forward. Mad call by the officials, one of many on both sides tbf. URC must do better making those ref calls.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

blockhead wrote: June 14th, 2022, 6:35 am As forward a pass as you'll see. Look at the cut lines on the grass. He throws the ball forward. Mad call by the officials, one of many on both sides tbf. URC must do better making those ref calls.
How to tell someone you don't know what a forward pass is without actually telling them.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:03 am
blockhead wrote: June 14th, 2022, 6:35 am As forward a pass as you'll see. Look at the cut lines on the grass. He throws the ball forward. Mad call by the officials, one of many on both sides tbf. URC must do better making those ref calls.
How to tell someone you don't know what a forward pass is without actually telling them.
The ball leaves his hands in a forward direction, clearly. That's a forward pass.
Wayne Barnes on WR website: "It’s not about the direction that the ball eventually ends up, it’s about the direction it’s travelling in as it leaves the hands.
Another Ref in the times today agrees, as did Trimble and Ferris on the telly.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

blockhead wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:57 am
The ball leaves his hands in a forward direction, clearly. That's a forward pass.
Wayne Barnes on WR website: "It’s not about the direction that the ball eventually ends up, it’s about the direction it’s travelling in as it leaves the hands.

Oh I'm aware of that. I don't believe it does leave his hands forwards but that's a different point.

You said 'look at the cut lines on the grass'.

That doesn't decide whether it's a forward pass or not. A ball can land 5 yards forward from where the passer originally threw it from based on pitch lines and still not be a forward pass.

Have a look at Ringer's pass to Lowe against Connacht which is a good example.

Don't make me link to the fabled World Rugby video...
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Doyle in IT not impressed by ref in Ulster match. In particular he is very critical of failure to go to TMO in relation to the game winning conversion
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

enby wrote: June 14th, 2022, 12:38 pm Doyle in IT not impressed by ref in Ulster match. In particular he is very critical of failure to go to TMO in relation to the game winning conversion
The AR was in the perfect position and called it. I approve of the guys who are right there making that call. Like the ref going to give a penalty try and seeing that it was grounded and not doing so for example. The conversion looked super iffy to me but I would back the AR in the position they were in to make that call.

Lots of stuff to give out about the refereeing in that game, warning them to stfu and telling them he was going to march them back ten and utterly failing to do so, having to explain himself multiple times (but then, no matter how many times he explained it the RTE comms thought Hume was offside rather than McCloskey so why would be expect the players in the heat of the game to be less dense than the comms?) but I'd back them on that.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: June 14th, 2022, 10:10 am
blockhead wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:57 am

Oh I'm aware of that. I don't believe it does leave his hands forwards but that's a different point.

You said 'look at the cut lines on the grass'.

That doesn't decide whether it's a forward pass or not. A ball can land 5 yards forward from where the passer originally threw it from based on pitch lines and still not be a forward pass.

Have a look at Ringer's pass to Lowe against Connacht which is a good example.

Don't make me link to the fabled World Rugby video...
I understand how the ball can end at a point closer to the oppositions dead ball line when it has been passed in a backwards direction. I get that, everyone does, its not that complicated. I referred to the cut lines on the grass to show that Moore's pass left his hands in a forward direction, the ball was always moving forward its very clear.