Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by the spoofer »

Casey’s lack of pace won’t have been missed by other teams analysts.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

the spoofer wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:47 am Casey’s lack of pace won’t have been missed by other teams analysts.
Hes very quick over a short distance.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

JB1973 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:29 am we have got Munster on the weekend and will be with out all our welsh squad players, will Munster have their test boys available? when do the Irish lads go into camp?
I doubt it but you never know. Farrell might want the likes of Carbery to get more time on the pitch.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

JB1973 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:29 am we have got Munster on the weekend and will be with out all our welsh squad players, will Munster have their test boys available? when do the Irish lads go into camp?
I’d expect Munster to be able to select from the full squad.
Having split the squad in 2 over the last 2 games and because Munster won’t have too many first choice Irish players this season anyway.

We could see Murray back if fit, and I’d suspect that the Irish coaches would like to see earls on the wing, Beirne is lacking game time, POM may be rested and Coombes and Zebo probably won’t be considered for Ireland.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ireland don't have any internationals until Nov 6th so assume the provinces will have a full deck to choose from this week. The remaining Lions should be back this week too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Keith wrote: October 17th, 2021, 3:42 pm
ronk wrote: October 17th, 2021, 11:55 am Carbery could be broken, he could be afraid of being broken, he could be having a Madigan regression or he could be struggling with the game-plan. Probably a combination.

This close the the international window you'd have to think that Faz will want to see for himself, especially about the last bit (but also the 2nd as maybe he's holding back). There's just been too much invested in Carbery to not give him a chance.

It would be hard for van Graan to fully drop him before the break due to the political cost, unless Faz is dropping him anyway. (Best case he never gets a favour again, worst case he gets sacked next time he comes under pressure).
Defensive issues aside, is he really playing that bad? I know he's not playing great but the speed in which fans are turning on him is surprising. The criticism seems a bit overboard at the minute.
is it that surprising? He isn't from Munster, has been injured more often than not and is blocking home grown 10's from being the next ROG.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

cormac wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:31 am
Ireland don't have any internationals until Nov 6th so assume the provinces will have a full deck to choose from this week. The remaining Lions should be back this week too.
not what I wanted to hear! 50 pointer incoming!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

the spoofer wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:47 am Casey’s lack of pace won’t have been missed by other teams analysts.
Plus a couple of other glaring weaknesses that Connacht highlighted last Saturday. He's got talent but he's also got shortcomings and needs to work harder on his weaknesses than strengths.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:26 pm
Plus a couple of other glaring weaknesses that Connacht highlighted last Saturday. He's got talent but he's also got shortcomings and needs to work harder on his weaknesses than strengths.
100%, he is not the finished article just yet, but not too many 22 year old half backs are.
However, he is probably not too far off what is available to Farrell at the moment. If you break down the strengths and weaknesses of any of the other 9s in the country he has a very similar level to each of them, bar probably Murray, but he has far more potential.

IMO he must be in the mix to be on the bench in the upcoming internationals, but I also don’t think that he is yet at the level where he is a nailed on player in the Irish squad.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Casey maths has changed. He's not needed before the RWC and he has Doak as a rival for after.

He has to compete on form rather than potential.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The Munster Connacht match was played in horrible conditions. Casey's strengths are speed and accuracy. In those wet and windy conditions you would be better off with a Murray and a big set of backs outside him. Horses for courses.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:59 pm The Casey maths has changed. He's not needed before the RWC and he has Doak as a rival for after.

I would say Casey is a very good shout to be a RWC squad and potentially a RWC 23 at this stage.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

wixfjord wrote: October 19th, 2021, 2:05 pm
ronk wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:59 pm The Casey maths has changed. He's not needed before the RWC and he has Doak as a rival for after.

I would say Casey is a very good shout to be a RWC squad and potentially a RWC 23 at this stage.
He should really move club so he can learn from Sexton, for game time in matches that matter, for rugby reasons and for the good of Irish rugby. I'm sure the promise of a seat on the RWC plane would help him make his mind up.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

deco wrote: October 19th, 2021, 2:23 pm

He should really move club so he can learn from Sexton, for game time in matches that matter, for rugby reasons and for the good of Irish rugby. I'm sure the promise of a seat on the RWC plane would help him make his mind up.
Interesting idea, makes a lot of sense.Is there not 2 leinster 9s down there atm? Yeah send Casey up for the good of the country.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: October 19th, 2021, 2:27 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 19th, 2021, 2:05 pm I would say Casey is a very good shout to be a RWC squad and potentially a RWC 23 at this stage.
Interesting idea, makes a lot of sense.Is there not 2 leinster 9s down there atm? Yeah send Casey up for the good of the country.
If it’s RWC 23 that you are looking at, then surely he should look to link up with an out half who is likely to be there.
I’m really hope that Ireland best option is not a 38 yr old.

Based on that, perhaps Casey could move to Ulster to link up with Burns?
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

blockhead wrote: October 19th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Sexton won't be at the world cup, but Casey would learn much from such a role model in the meantime. Also Limerick isn't a million miles from the RDS, you know.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sure. It's just he has to earn it on form rather than using long term planning considerations.

2 years out from the RWC you expect Murray to still be top dog. Casey is doing fine and improving but he's not showing signs of forcing the situation. There's a young Ulster scrumhalf who's even more promising. I don't think there's a strong argument for him to move btw. The other 3 provinces all have 2 players who'd hope to get capped in the next 2 years.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: October 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Sure. It's just he has to earn it on form rather than using long term planning considerations.

2 years out from the RWC you expect Murray to still be top dog. Casey is doing fine and improving but he's not showing signs of forcing the situation. There's a young Ulster scrumhalf who's even more promising. I don't think there's a strong argument for him to move btw. The other 3 provinces all have 2 players who'd hope to get capped in the next 2 years.
Forcing what situation? He has already forced his way into Irish squads so he has 'earned' that on form. Doak is a fine player but still behind Casey.

At the moment, Casey is in probably in the pool behind Murray which includes Blade, McGrath, JGP, Cooney. Cooney isn't likely to be in the equation and Farrell seemingly doesn't fancy McGrath.

With two more years to go and two more years of development, I think he's clearly 'needed before the RWC' and a good shout for going to France.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by wixfjord

At the moment, Casey is in probably in the pool behind Murray which includes Blade, McGrath, JGP, Cooney. Cooney isn't likely to be in the equation and Farrell seemingly doesn't fancy McGrath.
Think your missing Marmion in that equation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

For anyone to look at the current crop of scrum halves 2 years out from a RWC, or even a few months out from a 6 nations, to say that Casey is not needed, would want to have their head examined.

I am not for a second stating that Casey is the best or even second best scrum half in the country, or that he will definitely get to that level, but Ireland do need him to.

Casey offers something that none of the others do, and that is fast, crisp ball.
His pass speed and accuracy is noticeably better than any other option currently available.
This ability can provide to backs with additional time on the ball, and allow them to play flatter.

Of course, if the plan is to keep things slow and steady and kick the leather off the ball, then he probably isn’t your man, but he allows a horses for courses situation that we currently don’t have.

At 22, and only really into his second full season he is not the finished article, but Ireland would be missing a trick if they do not try to develop that potential 2 years out from a RWC where your current first choice SH will be 34.