Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by riocard911 »

Have it on the hush hush, that the number of positive tests in the Munster camp stands now at seven. Source is usually very reliable.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

well i hope the recent reports that all cases seen so far are very mild bears out
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:10 pm Great to hear that Munster are prepping for the HC game with the remaining 18 members of the HC squad.

It would be unreal to see a team made up of those 18 players along with some AIL guys.

Munster's fit registered players who are not in their South Africa squad: Scott Buckley, Joey Carbery, Tadhg Beirne, Andrew Conway, Ethan Coughlan, Damian De Allende, Mark Donnelly, Keith Earls, James French, Cian Hurley, Calvin Nash, Conor Murray, Declan Moore, Eoin O’Connor, Daniel Okeke, Peter O’Mahony, Rowan Osborne, Conor Philips, Jonathan Wren, Dave Kilcoyne.
I tell ye. I'd fuppin love to see (if it has to happen) a team comjured up from that group above, to go over there an kick Wasps butt!
#jokeofaleague
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:00 am
munster#1 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:10 pm Great to hear that Munster are prepping for the HC game with the remaining 18 members of the HC squad.

It would be unreal to see a team made up of those 18 players along with some AIL guys.

Munster's fit registered players who are not in their South Africa squad: Scott Buckley, Joey Carbery, Tadhg Beirne, Andrew Conway, Ethan Coughlan, Damian De Allende, Mark Donnelly, Keith Earls, James French, Cian Hurley, Calvin Nash, Conor Murray, Declan Moore, Eoin O’Connor, Daniel Okeke, Peter O’Mahony, Rowan Osborne, Conor Philips, Jonathan Wren, Dave Kilcoyne.
I tell ye. I'd fuppin love to see (if it has to happen) a team comjured up from that group above, to go over there an kick Wasps butt!
#jokeofaleague
Nothing is impossible when it comes to sport, but that is a massive ask.

The major area of concern would be in the front row, where Munster are completely under strength.
I know a few AIL lads who have stepped up to B&I cup level, and they have said just how big a step it is.
For an inexperienced prop to go from AIL to HC could be a very difficult task indeed.

Saying all that, it would be far better to field a team and get hammered, than it would be to hand wasps a walkover.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Talk of Munster asking other provinces for loans of players if forced to play Wasps without the SA guys.

Not sure if ERC would allow it, but you could see someone like Jack Dunne or Vakh being offered for the game. Two positions we're well stocked in, two guys with the physique and talent to play Euro level and in two positions that it seems Munster would be light in based on the above list.

Could also see a backrow like Molony or SOB offered also.

I think it would be a good thing to see one of these guys given a Euro opportunity, even if it's in red.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:30 am Talk of Munster asking other provinces for loans of players if forced to play Wasps without the SA guys.

Not sure if ERC would allow it, but you could see someone like Jack Dunne or Vakh being offered for the game. Two positions we're well stocked in, two guys with the physique and talent to play Euro level and in two positions that it seems Munster would be light in based on the above list.

Could also see a backrow like Molony or SOB offered also.

I think it would be a good thing to see one of these guys given a Euro opportunity, even if it's in red.
As long as they didn't get crocked in the course of it!!!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

What a sh1t situation, and unfortunately this is something that we will just have to live with over the next few years.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

riocard911 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:48 pm Have it on the hush hush, that the number of positive tests in the Munster camp stands now at seven. Source is usually very reliable.
From https://www.the42.ie/munster-covid-19-s ... 1-Nov2021/

Munster underwent another round of PCR testing yesterday, Monday 29 November, and The42 understands that there have been further positive results.

It’s believed that there may be as many as nine new cases of Covid-19 in the group of 34 players and 14 staff.

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From Munster Rugby:
Munster’s latest round of PCR testing has identified nine positive cases. The group, including staff and players, will move to the designated quarantine hotel in Cape Town joining the first player who tested positive on Sunday.
The remaining party of 38 have all returned negative results and continue to individually isolate in their rooms where they have been based since Sunday night.
As outlined by the Irish government on Monday, those that have received negative results have clearance to travel from the South African authorities.
In taking every precaution the touring party have completed another round of PCR testing this morning, the third in less that 60 hours, and will wait on results ahead of next steps.
The ten members of the group who have tested positive will remain in Cape Town until the end of their isolation period. While the individuals were disappointed on receiving the news they are thankfully well and will continue to be monitored medically at this time.
We understand this is a challenging situation and would like to thank families, friends, colleagues and our rugby community for the many messages of best wishes.
So if the next round of tests show any positives, the positives go into quaratine and the rest must stay in the hotel for another round of tests the next day?
How long is the Isolation Period?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

It seems that at the moment, best case scenario is that all players who have tested negative will return home just in time to complete the mandatory 10 day home quarantine the day of the Wasps game.

This would mean that at no stage will the touring party and the players who remained in Ireland will have trained together prior to the game.
Additionally it would mean the players travelling to the UK on the morning of the game.

Whatever way you look at this, from a rugby perspective, Munster are in trouble.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They'd probably have been better off just playing the game and stating in their bubbles than scrambling to get home.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Duane Vermeulen, who was in London for the cancelled Barbarbarian-Samao match, has tested positive for covid after arriving in Belfast - according to MK in the42. See:

https://www.the42.ie/vermeulen-ulster-c ... 7-Nov2021/

Meanwhile on Twitter, ITV's Beth Fisher wrote earlier this afternoon:

"This serious stuff. I have just spoken to a Cardiff Rugby representative. There are serious concerns about the health & wellbeing of the squad & staff. Individuals are having panic attacks & there are serious mental health issues within the group."

https://twitter.com/BethFisherSport/sta ... gr%5Etweet
Last edited by riocard911 on November 30th, 2021, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Its a pity about Cardiff. I really thought the were the team to watch out for this season.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

It may be otiose, virtue-signalling, blablabla, but I want to express my solidarity with Munster in this terrible situation. Provincial rivalries be damned, I hope that they can stay sane, get home as soon as possible, and return to the field.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

berliner wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:42 pm It may be otiose, virtue-signalling, blablabla, but I want to express my solidarity with Munster in this terrible situation. Provincial rivalries be damned, I hope that they can stay sane, get home as soon as possible, and return to the field.
+1
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:55 pm
berliner wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:42 pm It may be otiose, virtue-signalling, blablabla, but I want to express my solidarity with Munster in this terrible situation. Provincial rivalries be damned, I hope that they can stay sane, get home as soon as possible, and return to the field.
+1
I’ll give that a +1
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Absolutely.
Cr&p for their families, fingers crossed none of them get too sick and those who ok to travel get home ASAP. Has to be the new variant given the numbers infected.
Fine with short term loans as long as there is a dispensation made, ERC rules state a 3 month contract, not sure I’d be onboard to lose players for a 3 month period to cover a game or two.
Unfortunately for Munster there is precedent from last year's ERC when clubs were unable to field teams.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Nothing wrong with expressing a bit of solidarity with our Southern Brethren, there but for the grace of God goes any of the provinces.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:14 pm Its a pity about Cardiff. I really thought the were the team to watch out for this season.
In case there are any newcomers here, he really didn't think that!

Best of luck to our southern cousins. I really hope they all come back soon, healthy, after suffering no detriment on the trip, stronger than ever so we can get down to the serious business of bating seven kinds of shite out of youse.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote: November 30th, 2021, 7:36 pm
blockhead wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:14 pm Its a pity about Cardiff. I really thought the were the team to watch out for this season.
In case there are any newcomers here, he really didn't think that!

Best of luck to our southern cousins. I really hope they all come back soon, healthy, after suffering no detriment on the trip, stronger than ever so we can get down to the serious business of bating seven kinds of shite out of youse.
They're not all cousins y'know, below the belt that one.