Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by LeinsterLeader »

The real winners tonight....... anyone who decided to watch the other match. A real cracker :D
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:19 pm The real winners tonight....... anyone who decided to watch the other match. A real cracker :D
And Munster obviously, who are now 3 from 3 in Europe and through to the knockout stages yet again.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

munster#1 wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:19 pm The real winners tonight....... anyone who decided to watch the other match. A real cracker :D
And Munster obviously, who are now 3 from 3 in Europe and through to the knockout stages yet again.
Sounds like you're going to need a bigger throphy cabinet

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Barry wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:43 pm
munster#1 wrote:
Sounds like you're going to need a bigger throphy cabinet

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
That’s a fair leap
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Haley seems to be getting better and better, still think he's a bit slow for international rugby but he probably deserves a chance to prove me wrong on that front.

It wasn't pretty yet again from Munster but they'd get a pass here as usually the games are quite turgid when you play away to the likes of Castres and Montpellier. Any win in France can't be taken for granted.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: January 15th, 2022, 6:53 am Haley seems to be getting better and better, still think he's a bit slow for international rugby but he probably deserves a chance to prove me wrong on that front.

It wasn't pretty yet again from Munster but they'd get a pass here as usually the games are quite turgid when you play away to the likes of Castres and Montpellier. Any win in France can't be taken for granted.
I personally think that Haley is one of the most unappreciated players in Irish rugby right now.
That’s not just from external parties, I have also seen and heard Munster fans having a go at him.

I think the real issue is that many don’t have a notion what is involved in covering at 15.
It is no accident that Haley is in the right place and the right time nearly all of the time.
Haley offers defensive solidity both under a high ball and as a last line of defence.

On his speed, I’m not sure that it would be accurate to say that he is noticeably slower than my other Irish fullbacks?

I haven’t seen the stats, but on first viewing, Haley did a fairly good job counterattacking yesterday, and more often than not made good ground.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

An indication of Castres' tactics can be seen in the tackle count. Crowley made the most tackles of any munster player with 12. Next highest was 7.

https://www.epcrugby.com/report/coombes ... erformance
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

munster#1 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:29 pm
I personally think that Haley is one of the most unappreciated players in Irish rugby right now.
That’s not just from external parties, I have also seen and heard Munster fans having a go at him.

I think the real issue is that many don’t have a notion what is involved in covering at 15.
It is no accident that Haley is in the right place and the right time nearly all of the time.
Haley offers defensive solidity both under a high ball and as a last line of defence.

On his speed, I’m not sure that it would be accurate to say that he is noticeably slower than my other Irish fullbacks?

I haven’t seen the stats, but on first viewing, Haley did a fairly good job counterattacking yesterday, and more often than not made good ground.
I'm guilty of that for a start. I think it's because I really liked the look of Daly at FB and VG, who I don't rate at f%~king all, buying in Haley, and Gallacher (who looks a bit better in attack in the very limited game time I've seen him) and the 90214 group buying in Zzzzebo on top of that just looked like a really, really messed up approach to the position.

I can't speak for last night because I turned that sh!t off and saved myself some boredom, games against Castres and Montpelier have a certainty of being dull, but he was magnificent against Ulster. You see why he keeps getting picked with very strong competition on the back of a game like that where he was peerless.

And I have very strong opinions on what a fullback does. Primarily denies the opposition the backfield, makes relieving kicks difficult, makes taking pressure off difficult, punishes loose or inaccurate kicking, has a howitzer (scrum half has the siege gun) of a boot. Basically owns the last third of the pitch and is there before the ball if it goes there.

He's the business.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Keith wrote: January 15th, 2022, 6:53 am Haley seems to be getting better and better, still think he's a bit slow for international rugby but he probably deserves a chance to prove me wrong on that front.

He's a very fine player alright. Almost Rob K like in his backfield coverage.

Attacking game has a bit to go but definitely worthy of a shot in green.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

dropkick wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:13 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:06 pm
dropkick wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:04 pm

I thought Crowley was very good considering Munsters disjointed attack.
In what way?

He kicked for goal well, but had quite a few errors in open play and ran down a good few blind alleys.

What was very good about the performance on your view?

He kicked his goals, kicked well out of hand, put in a nice dink over the top that should have resulted in a try, hand a nice crossfiekd kick which was just slightly behind Conway, got stuck in and got up from taking big hits. It's was his third start and first start in Europe.
Yeah I mentioned his kicks for goal.

His crossfield kick was poorly executed so I'm not sure that's a plus. He had two knock ons and made a lot of carries into heavy traffic without much gain.

Not saying he played poorly at all, but 'very good''?

He clearly has talent though and this experience will stand to him.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

In the intro the 42 podcast You can hear Jerry Flannery saying "If Leinster offered me 5m a year I wouldn't go" to great cheers. Was that before or after Munster sh!t canned him?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:58 pm In the intro the 42 podcast You can hear Jerry Flannery saying "If Leinster offered me 5m a year I wouldn't go" to great cheers. Was that before or after Munster sh!t canned him?
That's Zebo.

But also it's a joke, so relax.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

paddyor wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:58 pm In the intro the 42 podcast You can hear Jerry Flannery saying "If Leinster offered me 5m a year I wouldn't go" to great cheers. Was that before or after Munster sh!t canned him?
That's Simon Zebo.
https://www.facebook.com/The42.ie/video ... 733734322/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Also a few other points:

Flannery wasn't 'sh!t canned' by Munster. Both he and Jones actually took the IT to court for stating they weren't offered a new contract. They were.

And even if he was 'sh!t canned', he has come out of that 'sh!t canning' in a far better state than Munster, considering he was a key part of a Prem winning coaching team.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: January 15th, 2022, 2:15 pm Also a few other points:

Flannery wasn't 'sh!t canned' by Munster. Both he and Jones actually took the IT to court for stating they weren't offered a new contract. They were.

And even if he was 'sh!t canned', he has come out of that 'sh!t canning' in a far better state than Munster, considering he was a key part of a Prem winning coaching team.
I viewed it as a red flag that might cause concern for their long term futures. They were offered contracts but they were being sidelined by incoming coaches so it was effectively a Foley demotion. They jumped before they were pushed and got out with their reputations intact. Even if it wasn't their chances for promotion were severely affected.

Which also explains why they would take the IT to court. I hadn't heard that btw.

(Edited to avoid ambiguity).
Last edited by ronk on January 15th, 2022, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm not being funny but considering they literally took the IT to court I think ronk should edit that comment. I don't agree with it anyway considering the circumstances but seems like it could be a risk.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

They are super touchy about it so I wouldn't say anything either.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

dropkick wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:13 pm An indication of Castres' tactics can be seen in the tackle count. Crowley made the most tackles of any munster player with 12. Next highest was 7.

https://www.epcrugby.com/report/coombes ... erformance
That's some stat for an outhalf. Fair play to him. He survived the Castres baptism of fire!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: January 15th, 2022, 2:04 pm
That's Zebo.

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty relaxed.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: January 15th, 2022, 2:57 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 15th, 2022, 2:04 pm
That's Zebo.

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty relaxed.
I mean you did seem pretty annoyed about a podcast intro...