Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by The Doc »

munster#1 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: October 8th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: October 8th, 2021, 5:29 pm On the other hand theres nothing I love more than the Welsh complaining about us sending over understrength teams, followed by the Welsh complaining when they lose to said understrength team.
Oh yes I love that.

And they'll still complain that we are cheapening the league while doing it

To be honest though I like it second to Munster complaining that we are direspecting the derby fixture by sending the yout'. And then getting hammered. That's beautiful.
I have never actually met a Munster Fan that has complained about Leinster sending a weakened team out against Munster.
I for one would love it if Leinster did that every time they played Munster.

However, I have heard many fans complaining about the timing of the fixture, as it generally involves 2 teams that are minus their top players.

IMO the league will not be taken seriously until we see the best teams put out their best players several times a season. But that is a different conversation.
I think it's more a reference to Welsh Twitter complaining rather than Munster

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Munster were very good, what a feel good feeling for the players and the fans beating the Scarlets in Wales the way they did with the team they picked, from the young lads Barron, Aherne, Healy, Wycherley, Coombes and Nash all had really good games and the older guys like JOD, Cloete and Loughman were excellent. They really mixed it as well, it reminded me of us from a few seasons ago. The challenge now will be to get some of them enough game time to push on and challenge for a place in the big games.

Scarlets might not have been at the races but they were hammered well and truly so you can’t do more than that. I thought Jonathan Davies looked like a shadow of himself. Injuries and age catching up with him.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Didn't see the game, but that's a huge win given the respective teams out!

Saw Snyman went off injured, did it look serious?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

wixfjord wrote:Didn't see the game, but that's a huge win given the respective teams out!

Walked off under his own steam with a slight limp. Make of that what you will.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: October 10th, 2021, 5:41 pm Didn't see the game, but that's a huge win given the respective teams out!

A drubbing - six tries to one. Fair play to the Munster lads, that's a great result. I saw part of it and they were a hell of a lot better than the Scarlets, who looked very ragged.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote: October 10th, 2021, 6:24 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 10th, 2021, 5:41 pm Didn't see the game, but that's a huge win given the respective teams out!

A drubbing - six tries to one. Fair play to the Munster lads, that's a great result. I saw part of it and they were a hell of a lot better than the Scarlets, who looked very ragged.
Best Munster performance I've seen in a long time. Solid D and the desire and ability to throw the ball about when on. That said, Scarlets were toothless.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Wow.
3 games, 15 points and 17 tries, that is some start to a season.

That was as complete a performance as I’ve seen from a Munster team, probably since Ospreys in 09.

For any Munster team to go to Wales and inflict a beating like that on a Scarletts team would be an achievement, but for that Munster team to do it is unbelievable.

Most on here had written this team off, with one poster convinced that JVG was throwing the game.
I wasn’t convinced that Munster would win, but knew that the team picked would have a chance to hold there own, but I did not for a second think that they would win as convincingly.

Some massive shifts put in by Barron, Ahern, Wycherley, JOD, Cloete, Healy and Nash, additional credit has to go to the front row who on paper should have been pushed around the field.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from this young group of players.
The recent clearout has left a lot of gaps in the squad that must be plugged, and if these players can front up like this week in and week out, then Munster will be in a good place.

However, Munster need to back this up now.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Munster were better in every aspect than the Scarlets today which should be sounding alarm bells throughout the WRU. I'm not trying to belittle what they achieved but for most of their tries Munster didn't have to do all that much. The defending from the Scarlets was so poor that it would have to improve quite a bit to be described as merely abysmal. Wasn't just their tackling either, their work rate to get themselves in position at the side of rucks just wasn't there.

On the flip side I thought Munster defended very well. Scarlets really had to work hard for opportunities and even when the result was never in doubt Munster held their line with some excellent play. Even the Scarlets try resulted from a bit of luck.

Chris Cloete is a decent player but he's largely been ineffectual at the highest level, so when the opposition make him look like that good, something has gone very wrong.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I feel bad for Hugh Hogan after that. He'll get a lot of blame, but there's nothing a coach can do about such a total lack of commitment from players in defense.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: October 10th, 2021, 8:34 pm Wow.
3 games, 15 points and 17 tries, that is some start to a season.

That was as complete a performance as I’ve seen from a Munster team, probably since Ospreys in 09.

For any Munster team to go to Wales and inflict a beating like that on a Scarletts team would be an achievement, but for that Munster team to do it is unbelievable.

Most on here had written this team off, with one poster convinced that JVG was throwing the game.
I wasn’t convinced that Munster would win, but knew that the team picked would have a chance to hold there own, but I did not for a second think that they would win as convincingly.

Some massive shifts put in by Barron, Ahern, Wycherley, JOD, Cloete, Healy and Nash, additional credit has to go to the front row who on paper should have been pushed around the field.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from this young group of players.
The recent clearout has left a lot of gaps in the squad that must be plugged, and if these players can front up like this week in and week out, then Munster will be in a good place.

However, Munster need to back this up now.

And the bookies agreed with said poster. Why take the risk of losing a game that is so winnable. Everyone was astonished with the manner of the win so its not like this was expected.

I hope it means they trust youth a bit more. L Coombes, Nash, Healy, Ahern, JOS and Barron all played well. Barron being much better than I expected though it was his first start?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

domhnallj wrote: October 10th, 2021, 6:14 pm
wixfjord wrote:Didn't see the game, but that's a huge win given the respective teams out!

From The42

“It looks like it might be significant,” Van Graan told RTÉ Sport about the second row’s injury.

“I’m not going to comment on it at this stage until he’s gone for a scan. Obviously, he’s a very important squad player for us in terms of what he can bring.

“Hopefully we get some good news but it’s pretty difficult to say at this stage. After speaking to him in the changing room, you know, pretty worried about it.”

“If it turns out to be serious, he’s a phenomenal man, he will get through this."
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Laighin Break wrote: October 11th, 2021, 12:44 pm
domhnallj wrote: October 10th, 2021, 6:14 pm

From The42

“It looks like it might be significant,” Van Graan told RTÉ Sport about the second row’s injury.

“I’m not going to comment on it at this stage until he’s gone for a scan. Obviously, he’s a very important squad player for us in terms of what he can bring.

“Hopefully we get some good news but it’s pretty difficult to say at this stage. After speaking to him in the changing room, you know, pretty worried about it.”

“If it turns out to be serious, he’s a phenomenal man, he will get through this."
Christ that would be a killer. Seemingly it's his 'other' knee too. Wonder might it be overcompensating for the weak knee.

They're not good injuries to be getting if you're an explosive second row who relies on running and jumping with big impact.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Confirmed that Snyman has 'sustained a re-rupture of his cruciate ligament'.

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status ... 2643336198

That is either ridiculously bad luck or someone in S&C has made a major error.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That is desperate for the guy - hope he gets back to his best.
I have Bumbleflex
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

That is one horrific run of injuries. You'd have to feel massive sympathy for the lad.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That is brutal, really feel for the guy. I thought my eyes were deceiving me people were saying it was the other leg, seemed to clearly be the one that was heavily strapped. I hope that’s not him done as a Munster player, would love if he signed a new contract and played at least one season for them.

In all fairness Munster were brilliant yesterday. Defence was excellent and they really went for Scarlets at the breakdown and the set piece. For ages I thought Nash was a player and needed games to show but I’d given up on him tbh, really good to see him look so threatening and his corner flagging was superb in the first half. A lot of players played really well and it does have the feel of a big moment for the squad. The Scarlets were dreadful and the ref let them away with a lot but the fundamentals were there and there’s the talent to make it count.

Edit: I think Healy has to be ahead of Carbery right now. If they’re picked on merit there’s no contest at all.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

wixfjord wrote: October 11th, 2021, 1:32 pm Confirmed that Snyman has 'sustained a re-rupture of his cruciate ligament'.

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status ... 2643336198

That is either ridiculously bad luck or someone in S&C has made a major error.
It’s the other leg, not a ‘re-rupture’ according to RTÉ
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munster Rugby say its a re-rupture
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 11th, 2021, 1:34 pm That is desperate for the guy - hope he gets back to his best.
+1
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: October 11th, 2021, 5:49 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: October 11th, 2021, 1:34 pm That is desperate for the guy - hope he gets back to his best.
+1
Hope it's not as serious.