Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 12th, 2022, 3:16 pm I thought the Munster midfield was poor too, a good break by Farrell for the try but I can't remember much else and they were destroyed defensively. I think going toe to toe with Toulouse has skewed some people's perceptions of the performance, the reality is that turnovers and poor discipline were what kept them in the game for the most part. I commend them on that, they fought for everything and had some outstanding performances up front, but the idea that they're back is so wide of the mark. They've had some really encouraging performances recently and there are some great young prospects, but realistically their attack is still pretty average (some of the back moves on Saturday were incredibly poor) and the main improvement is to do with being hard to beat. I do wonder how much their improvement in attack has to do with teams not being prepared for it as well, it'll be interesting to see if teams are ready for it over the next while.

I don't agree with the idea that Joey should have stepped up for the kicking though. Healy is a brilliant kicker, just had a bad day. The long kick was a good strike and drop goal was close, I certainly didn't look at those kicks and think he'd be in trouble in the shoot out. As it turned out he did seem rattled but Joey had missed easy kicks during the game too so I still think it was the right call.
Healy is below 80% in the URC. That's not a brilliant kicker. And there is no questioning Joeys balls. The one from the halfway line agin the All Blacks shows that they are made of case hardened steel. They and the coaches came up with what they thought was the best plan for the shoot-out.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Healy's early pro career was defined by heroic late kicks. There's a risk of chasing that high, but life isn't that fairytale. Maybe Munster would have been better set being more patient than going for the high profile kick.

You see it in American Football where a QB throws a scoring Hail Mary and then they keep doing it. You see it in golf too.

There was time after the long range penalty attempt. The sensible call was to play territory and build for a better chance.

Munster were lucky to get a third kicker on the pitch, absolutely blessed if they weren't gaming the system. Certainly the were able to put Murray on instead of Haley.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

This is ireland. If you're playing out half then you must take the kicks. Doesn't matter if there's a better kicker in another position.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

blockhead wrote: May 12th, 2022, 11:39 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 12th, 2022, 3:16 pm I thought the Munster midfield was poor too, a good break by Farrell for the try but I can't remember much else and they were destroyed defensively. I think going toe to toe with Toulouse has skewed some people's perceptions of the performance, the reality is that turnovers and poor discipline were what kept them in the game for the most part. I commend them on that, they fought for everything and had some outstanding performances up front, but the idea that they're back is so wide of the mark. They've had some really encouraging performances recently and there are some great young prospects, but realistically their attack is still pretty average (some of the back moves on Saturday were incredibly poor) and the main improvement is to do with being hard to beat. I do wonder how much their improvement in attack has to do with teams not being prepared for it as well, it'll be interesting to see if teams are ready for it over the next while.

I don't agree with the idea that Joey should have stepped up for the kicking though. Healy is a brilliant kicker, just had a bad day. The long kick was a good strike and drop goal was close, I certainly didn't look at those kicks and think he'd be in trouble in the shoot out. As it turned out he did seem rattled but Joey had missed easy kicks during the game too so I still think it was the right call.
Healy is below 80% in the URC. That's not a brilliant kicker. And there is no questioning Joeys balls. The one from the halfway line agin the All Blacks shows that they are made of case hardened steel. They and the coaches came up with what they thought was the best plan for the shoot-out.
Yeah but I think that’s partly down to taking speculative kicks on because he has such a big boot. Kicking is his thing, that’s the whole reason he’s a pro outhalf. I think his passing game is a little underrated but his boot is his USP.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:46 am
blockhead wrote: May 12th, 2022, 11:39 pm

Yeah but I think that’s partly down to taking speculative kicks on because he has such a big boot. Kicking is his thing, that’s the whole reason he’s a pro outhalf. I think his passing game is a little underrated but his boot is his USP.
That be my take too. Would like some slightly advanced stats on the difficulty of kicks taken on. Remember Chris Patterson getting praise for his amazing international stats, when it was Dan Parks who would be burdened with any of the more difficult yet still reasonable kicks approaching the 10 metre line.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

2 teams gave up home matches for key knockout games due to concerts. Then lost at home.

Can't imagine anyone else will take that chance for a few years.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

ronk wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:09 am 2 teams gave up home matches for key knockout games due to concerts. Then lost at home.

Can't imagine anyone else will take that chance for a few years.
They might have lost to Toulouse at home and they might not have gotten past Exeter. Quinlan mentioned €400,000-€500,000 from the Sheeran concerts and they probably made that again from the match in the aviva.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Difficulty picking his nose - biting reality.
Roundtree has one advantage taking over from VG.
He doesn't have too much to live up to.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:40 pm Difficulty picking his nose - biting reality.
But thats the problem. He has '78, '06 and '08 to live up to.
VG is going to a place were midtable makes him a god.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:53 pm
Oldschool wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:40 pm Difficulty picking his nose - biting reality.
But thats the problem. He has '78, '06 and '08 to live up to.
VG is going to a place were midtable makes him a god.
Judging by the clamour for Kidney to come back from down south they clearly think mid table in the prem is God like
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

One of funniest things about visiting MunsterFans after a bad defeat (and saturday was as bad as it gets) is seeing all the Leinster fans come down to post advice to them on how to get better. :lol:
That must really boil their P!ss!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote: May 24th, 2022, 6:09 pm One of funniest things about visiting MunsterFans after a bad defeat (and saturday was as bad as it gets) is seeing all the Leinster fans come down to post advice to them on how to get better. :lol:
They don't like that?

Ingrates.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote: May 24th, 2022, 6:09 pm One of funniest things about visiting MunsterFans after a bad defeat (and saturday was as bad as it gets) is seeing all the Leinster fans come down to post advice to them on how to get better. :lol:
Refusing to listen to Gervais blowing smoke up the provincial arse would be a good start.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: May 24th, 2022, 7:20 pm
They don't like that?

Ingrates.
When I read your post I thought to my self "what's he on about?".
After a good night's sleep I got it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ACL injury for Daly. Tough for him with a lengthy layoff. https://www.the42.ie/munster-jack-daly- ... 7-May2022/

Clean tackle, just rotten luck.
dougie the flanker
Learner

Post by dougie the flanker »

ronk wrote: May 26th, 2022, 2:45 am ACL injury for Daly. Tough for him with a lengthy layoff. https://www.the42.ie/munster-jack-daly- ... 7-May2022/

Reminded me of Manu Tuilagi's hit on David Wallace
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dougie the flanker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 10:57 am
ronk wrote: May 26th, 2022, 2:45 am ACL injury for Daly. Tough for him with a lengthy layoff. https://www.the42.ie/munster-jack-daly- ... 7-May2022/

Reminded me of Manu Tuilagi's hit on David Wallace
Exactly the same thought. Pretty much exactly the same place on the pitch as well.
dougie the flanker
Learner

Post by dougie the flanker »

Central Contract for Keith Earls taking him upto the RWC 2023.

Delighted on a personal level. Possibly my favourite Munster player though seems a tough one to stand over given the emergence of Lowe, Hansen and Balacoune over the past year.

Still I won't argue.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Josh Wycherley, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley, Peter O’Mahony (C), Alex Kendellen, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Jeremy Loughman, John Ryan, Jason Jenkins, Thomas Ahern, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Chris Cloete.