Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by mildlyinterested »

Munster highlights from the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvxajWh ... nsterRugby

Still don't understand why Patterson wasn't rated in Leinster setup.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 6th, 2021, 1:23 pm Munster highlights from the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvxajWh ... nsterRugby

Still don't understand why Patterson wasn't rated in Leinster setup.
Ta for the link
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some serious potential on display in the half backs.
Loads of competition which should bring the beat out of each of them.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Jaysus some shocking tackling in there. I know its pre season but I hope we're not that far off the mark defensively on Friday :shock:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 7th, 2021, 12:06 pm Jaysus some shocking tackling in there. I know its pre season but I hope we're not that far off the mark defensively on Friday :shock:
It was a training game with a fair few green players, and many playing out of position in the second half.

It was always going to be sloppy defensively, but looks fairly exciting in attack.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Shite defence makes attack look exciting shocker!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RG Snyman will be back for Munster in October, as long as some other calamity dosen't befall the poor bugger. Skin graft must healing well although he may end up with a very hairy knee.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: September 8th, 2021, 4:56 pm RG Snyman will be back for Munster in October, as long as some other calamity dosen't befall the poor bugger. Skin graft must healing well although he may end up with a very hairy knee.
I really hope he manages to make a solid comeback.
It has gone past the stage where it would be great for Munster.
After so long out of the game, it can’t be easy for the individual to be out for so long.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster have named their team to play Exeter.

Great to see the likes of Knox, Ahern and Kendellan getting more game time. These are 3 players that I am extremely excited about.

The bench is littered with potential with the likes of Barron, Wycherley, Salanoa, Hurley, Daly, Crowley, Flannery and French.
Looking at the squad this is possibly a game that Munster will come out second best, but great to see game time given to the new kids on the block.

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Matt Gallagher; Ben Healy, Rowan Osborne; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Thomas Ahern; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Chris Cloete, Alex Kendellen.

Replacements from: Diarmuid Barron, Liam O’Connor, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Mark Donnelly, Cian Hurley, Jack O’Sullivan, Paddy Kelly, Jack Daly, Neil Cronin, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Jake Flannery, Liam Coombes, Alex McHenry, Seán French.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Is Cian Hurley any relation to Denis?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Not getting ahead of myself in any way, but great to see that young crop of players notch up a victory.

Johann van Graan used 31 players throughout the game with Rory Scannell, Calvin Nash (two), Neil Cronin and Roman Salanoa all scoring tries, three coming in a strong second half showing where they outscored the hosts 19-7.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by munster#1

Not getting ahead of myself in any way, but great to see that young crop of players notch up a victory.

Johann van Graan used 31 players throughout the game with Rory Scannell, Calvin Nash (two), Neil Cronin and Roman Salanoa all scoring tries, three coming in a strong second half showing where they outscored the hosts 19-7.
I sincerely hope for your sakes that JVG gives these young guys more of a chance and gametime. I think they could really do a job if he just trusts them.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: September 13th, 2021, 2:25 pm
by munster#1

I sincerely hope for your sakes that JVG gives these young guys more of a chance and gametime. I think they could really do a job if he just trusts them.
The considerable clearout that has occurred since JVG has taken the reigns means that there are very few traffic jams ahead of Munster’s young crop.

With many of the old guard likely to be involved with Ireland, and with 2 of the 3 NIQ players likely to be playing for SA, whether by design or by accident, JVG will be forced to play the young players.

It is then up to these players to take their opportunity in the same manner as Coombes, Casey and Healy have.

My hope for this season is that either of Knox and Salanoa cement themselves in the match day 23.
Additionally I’d love to see J Wycherley and Ahern getting double digit appearances, and that we get to see Kendellan and Crowley’s development being fast tracked.

A big potential bolter for this season is Paddy Patterson.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

The only place Patterson is bolting to is back to Leinster when his career hits the inevitable brick wall in Munster.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

deco wrote: September 13th, 2021, 7:47 pm The only place Patterson is bolting to is back to Leinster when his career hits the inevitable brick wall in Munster.
I dunno. He would have more to do to become Leinster's 3rd choice scrumhalf than Munsters. Even more so with international minutes limitations.

He's competing with Cronin and Cronin has a very cuttable profile.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

deco wrote: September 13th, 2021, 7:47 pm The only place Patterson is bolting to is back to Leinster when his career hits the inevitable brick wall in Munster.
If he makes it it is because of the quality of the Munster academy.
If he doesn’t then Leinster were right to cut him.
Win win for Munster really.

There is no guarantee that he will make it, but from the very brief amount of information from the 2 games to date, he looks like he could make it, and given that Murray and Casey will likely be missing for large portions of the next couple of seasons, and the potential for injury, Paddy should get his chances to shine.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Patterson looks a good squad player at least as does Osbourne. All 9s are small and nippy now except for Murray who is the opposite.

Laighin Break wrote: September 11th, 2021, 1:35 am Is Cian Hurley any relation to Denis?
Don't think so. Its a common enough name. Thnk I read that Cian grew up in South Africa until he was 14.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

A new hooker. Seems a strange decision! Taking a punt? :shock:

https://www.the42.ie/declan-moore-munst ... 9-Sep2021/
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:36 pm A new hooker. Seems a strange decision! Taking a punt? :shock:

https://www.the42.ie/declan-moore-munst ... 9-Sep2021/
This has been doing the rounds for a few weeks and I thought that it was no more than speculation.

Strange signing as he appears to be a development player based on his lack of experience.

What I had heard is that the IRFU had been watching him for a while, and is probably worth a punt given that Munster have only 3 senior hookers on the books.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

"Try-lights" from the Exeter game. Haven't heard that term before but I like it!
Calvin Nash with a nice highlight reel.