Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by JB1973 »

I like Casey is a old fashioned scrum half, has a lot of talent and is a lovely passer of the ball

Will his size (or lack of) be an issue in test rugby>? he is certainly more from the stringer than murray stamp of scrum halves
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

It's not an issue for Faf de Clerk and he can't be much bigger than Casey, I reckon.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

riocard911 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 1:20 pm It's not an issue for Faf de Clerk and he can't be much bigger than Casey, I reckon.
5.7 to 5'5.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

JB1973 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm I like Casey is a old fashioned scrum half, has a lot of talent and is a lovely passer of the ball

Will his size (or lack of) be an issue in test rugby>? he is certainly more from the stringer than murray stamp of scrum halves
Yes, it's definitely not a positive anyway, particularly if he's partnered with a 10 like Joey.

It's an obstacle to overcome for Casey for sure, and perhaps a reason why Doak might have an advantage in long term.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

sunshiner1 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 11:01 am
by wixfjord

At the moment, Casey is in probably in the pool behind Murray which includes Blade, McGrath, JGP, Cooney. Cooney isn't likely to be in the equation and Farrell seemingly doesn't fancy McGrath.
Think your missing Marmion in that equation.
Hmmm I'm not sure I am. How many times has he played for Farrell? Once?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote: October 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm
by wixfjord

At the moment, Casey is in probably in the pool behind Murray which includes Blade, McGrath, JGP, Cooney. Cooney isn't likely to be in the equation and Farrell seemingly doesn't fancy McGrath.
That'll be one more than Luke McGrath though and he featured in your list.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote: October 20th, 2021, 2:25 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm

That'll be one more than Luke McGrath though and he featured in your list.
Fair, in my head the difference is that Luke is starting for Leinster and Marmiom is benching for Connacht. But they're both probably not in the equation as it stands, which makes the path even clearer for Casey.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Marmion was carrying an injury for a lot of last year which is now cleared up. I think now he's back fit you'll see more of him.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: October 20th, 2021, 9:32 am
ronk wrote: October 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 19th, 2021, 2:05 pm

I would say Casey is a very good shout to be a RWC squad and potentially a RWC 23 at this stage.
Sure. It's just he has to earn it on form rather than using long term planning considerations.

2 years out from the RWC you expect Murray to still be top dog. Casey is doing fine and improving but he's not showing signs of forcing the situation. There's a young Ulster scrumhalf who's even more promising. I don't think there's a strong argument for him to move btw. The other 3 provinces all have 2 players who'd hope to get capped in the next 2 years.
Forcing what situation? He has already forced his way into Irish squads so he has 'earned' that on form. Doak is a fine player but still behind Casey.

With two more years to go and two more years of development, I think he's clearly 'needed before the RWC' and a good shout for going to France.
Casey was accelerated for development. It made sense with questions over Murray and the age profile of the next tier of 9s. McGrath is 6 years older than Casey so there was a risk of big age gap leading to problems in the depth chart. Both those issues are far less prominent now.

There's no pressure on Fax to make any development picks. Leaving Casey out of squads lets him focus on Munster so it wouldnt be all bad. Faz picks him if he likes him from now on.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Mcgrath was the best 9 in the pro 14 last year imo, clearly Farrell not a fan so he is out of the running for Ireland barring a freak injury crisis

I'd expect Casey to make the WC squad, his service is a point of difference and that is always handy if you need to change the game plan

Will Murray be playing this weekend? Him and Webb should be a good contest webb has been rubbish this season up until last week when he was motm , hopefully more of the same to come this weekend!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great looking team, with a good experience mix
Delighted to see DDA and Murray back, Coombes getting another run at 13 and Crowley getting a start.

Overall, it looks like the squad was well managed across this 5 game block, let’s hope Munster finish it undefeated.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Andrew Conway, Liam Coombes, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Craig Casey; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Tadhg Beirne, Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Josh Wycherley, Keynan Knox, Gavin Coombes, John Hodnett, Conor Murray, Ben Healy, Damian de Allende.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

JB1973 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:51 am Mcgrath was the best 9 in the pro 14 last year imo, clearly Farrell not a fan so he is out of the running for Ireland barring a freak injury crisis

I'd expect Casey to make the WC squad, his service is a point of difference and that is always handy if you need to change the game plan

Will Murray be playing this weekend? Him and Webb should be a good contest webb has been rubbish this season up until last week when he was motm , hopefully more of the same to come this weekend!
We're conditioned to expect the extremes of a large athletic kicker like Tomas O'Leary or Conor Murray, or a tiny snappy passer like Stringer or Casey. Anything else (or between) is different and not trusted: see McGrath or Cooney or why Reddan had to win the HC with Wasps to become visible.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Crowley has started well here.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Lenihan is some man for coming to a conclusion based solely on his instinct. He’d make a great modern ref, with a huge caveat you couldn’t let him near a Munster game for obvious reasons :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fan with smartphone wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:04 pm Crowley has started well here.
+1
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Dreadful match so far. Beirne very quiet
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Munster have been blowing hot and cold this season.
Blowing cold tonight and giving Ospreys far too much encouragement.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Munster playing poorly. Angry Face tries to start some handbags.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

HT: Ospreys 9-3 Munster. Very poor reward to Munster after a first quarter in which they were totally dominant. Then a disallowed try took the wind out of their sails a bit and the Ospreys have just gotten stronger and stronger. Crowley looks remarkably assured considering its his debut in red.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

cormac wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:27 pm Munster playing poorly. Angry Face tries to start some handbags.
PO'M up to his usual tricks. Some things never change. Got a laugh out of the ref at one stage for his troubles. Great offload by him though in the wider channels just before halftime - and similar to Leavy's last night -, which nearly had them in for a try.