Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by wixfjord »

Avenger wrote: October 8th, 2021, 12:17 pm In fairness thats a brave selection for that fixture.
Oh that's exactly what I'm saying! Fair play to him, but it's almost going too far for a trip to Wales!

It's pretty much all second/third string, which is interesting given the relatively increased importance of every league game this year.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Yeah its a dangerous fixture for that sort of selection but he's had criticism for conservative selections (myself included) and rightly so IMO but credit where its due.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Avenger wrote: October 8th, 2021, 12:22 pm Yeah its a dangerous fixture for that sort of selection but he's had criticism for conservative selections (myself included) and rightly so IMO but credit where its due.

I just wonder if it might be a smarter selection to have mixed and match over the last two games? Could Barron and Ahern have started last week and you send Scannell and Kleyn to Wales? Maybe you put Zebo on the wing this weekend instead of last?

I'm biased because I don't rate JVG at all, but it just seems a bit off to me.

A much more cynical person than I might say that it could be him playing a load of young guys in one go in a difficult game so he can point to having given youth a shot (and them possibly not performing).
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Reminds me of one of those hiding to nothing teams Cheika used to send out to Wales and then scream at for failing.

Best of luck to them though
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I’d say the 6 day turnaround to the home game against Connacht is probably playing on his mind a bit.
Munster have also built credit in the bank with 2 BP wins, so fair play IMO.

This will be a character building exercise for a few of this team, and whilst I wouldn’t put my house on a win in this game, I do think that squad are capable of putting in a good shift.

I am excited to see how Ahern and JOS come through this game.
Additionally, the bench is fairly exciting.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Avenger wrote: October 8th, 2021, 12:17 pm In fairness thats a brave selection for that fixture.
It's not brave at all. Hes throwing the match so munster can concentrate on winning the next 2 and getting 80% of wins from the first 5 matches.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

dropkick wrote: October 8th, 2021, 2:03 pm
It's not brave at all. Hes throwing the match so munster can concentrate on winning the next 2 and getting 80% of wins from the first 5 matches.
Cheika like.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Given the substantial turnover of players, with many of the experienced backup players having departed and so many academy graduates now in the senior squad, we will likely see plenty if squads like this over the course of the season.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: October 8th, 2021, 3:04 pm Given the substantial turnover of players, with many of the experienced backup players having departed and so many academy graduates now in the senior squad, we will likely see plenty if squads like this over the course of the season.
I really don't think that's true at all.
We've less games and less games during test windows.
He could've easily spread the load between these two games and mixed things up, but has chosen not to do that for whatever reason.

By the way, does anyone thing it is actually developing players if you just choose a 'first team' en masse and then throw out a team of second stringers and returning players in an away game in Wales to save the first stringers energy levels for Connacht?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: October 8th, 2021, 3:27 pm
munster#1 wrote: October 8th, 2021, 3:04 pm Given the substantial turnover of players, with many of the experienced backup players having departed and so many academy graduates now in the senior squad, we will likely see plenty if squads like this over the course of the season.
I really don't think that's true at all.
We've less games and less games during test windows.
He could've easily spread the load between these two games and mixed things up, but has chosen not to do that for whatever reason.

By the way, does anyone thing it is actually developing players if you just choose a 'first team' en masse and then throw out a team of second stringers and returning players in an away game in Wales to save the first stringers energy levels for Connacht?
Only time will tell, but I’d be surprised if this is the last time this season that we see a team like this.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

It will be interesting if the first team lose at home to Connacht (as last year), particularly if this team gets beaten in Llanelli on Sunday! Bizarre selection policy frankly, although van Graan's hand may have been forced given the injuries to Jenkins and Knox
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

On the other hand theres nothing I love more than the Welsh complaining about us sending over understrength teams, followed by the Welsh complaining when they lose to said understrength team.
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: October 8th, 2021, 5:29 pm On the other hand theres nothing I love more than the Welsh complaining about us sending over understrength teams, followed by the Welsh complaining when they lose to said understrength team.
Oh yes I love that.

And they'll still complain that we are cheapening the league while doing it

To be honest though I like it second to Munster complaining that we are direspecting the derby fixture by sending the yout'. And then getting hammered. That's beautiful.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 8th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: October 8th, 2021, 5:29 pm On the other hand theres nothing I love more than the Welsh complaining about us sending over understrength teams, followed by the Welsh complaining when they lose to said understrength team.
Oh yes I love that.

And they'll still complain that we are cheapening the league while doing it

To be honest though I like it second to Munster complaining that we are direspecting the derby fixture by sending the yout'. And then getting hammered. That's beautiful.
I have never actually met a Munster Fan that has complained about Leinster sending a weakened team out against Munster.
I for one would love it if Leinster did that every time they played Munster.

However, I have heard many fans complaining about the timing of the fixture, as it generally involves 2 teams that are minus their top players.

IMO the league will not be taken seriously until we see the best teams put out their best players several times a season. But that is a different conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: October 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm

I have never actually met a Munster Fan that has complained about Leinster sending a weakened team out against Munster.
I for one would love it if Leinster did that every time they played Munster.

However, I have heard many fans complaining about the timing of the fixture, as it generally involves 2 teams that are minus their top players.

IMO the league will not be taken seriously until we see the best teams put out their best players several times a season. But that is a different conversation.
Ever looked in a mirror, pretty sure you did it.

Leinster play better when they rotate anyway. The stars play at home more if there's a need to pick games.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 8th, 2021, 12:56 pm Reminds me of one of those hiding to nothing teams Cheika used to send out to Wales and then scream at for failing.

Best of luck to them though
Not sure they failed that bad!
https://dementedmole.com/2015/01/20/the ... -aquarius/
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

This is a really good article on Casey if any of you want to read it.
Provides some good insight from some real rugby people.

https://www.the42.ie/craig-casey-munste ... 2-Oct2021/
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Enjoy the game M1.
As a "neutral" I'm looking forward to seeing how Aherne and some of the other less notables do against what is going to be a tough game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Impressive first half from Munster
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Great play thus far from Munster. Could be a season making performance for some of their talented youngsters. Worrying that Snyman has gone off injured.