Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by munster#1 »

Laighin Break wrote: September 15th, 2021, 1:29 pm "Try-lights" from the Exeter game. Haven't heard that term before but I like it!
Calvin Nash with a nice highlight reel.
Nash is a player who I believe should be looking for a move.
He is a seriously talented player, but he is behind some even more talented players in Earls, Conway and Zebo with Daly also in the mix.

He has missed opportunities due to injuries, and I’d hate to see him miss out due to an allegiance to Munster.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

munster#1 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 2:22 pm
Laighin Break wrote: September 15th, 2021, 1:29 pm "Try-lights" from the Exeter game. Haven't heard that term before but I like it!
He is a seriously talented player, but he is behind some even more talented players in Earls, Conway and Zebo with Daly also in the mix.

He has missed opportunities due to injuries, and I’d hate to see him miss out due to an allegiance to Munster.
So you think a talented 24 year old winger should move as he's behind a soon to be 34 year old (Earls), a 31 year old (Zebo) and a 30 year old (Conway)?

The Munster way.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

the spoofer wrote: September 16th, 2021, 10:56 am

So you think a talented 24 year old winger should move as he's behind a soon to be 34 year old (Earls), a 31 year old (Zebo) and a 30 year old (Conway)?

The Munster way.
As a Munster fan I would love to see him making it at Munster.
However, as a fan of the player himself, I would love to see him establish himself as a first choice player regardless of where he is.

At 24 going into the current season and possibly the following season also depending on Earls, he is probably 2 injuries away from getting his place in the HC team as he is behind 3 wingers who were capped last season in Earls Conway and Daly and the returning Zebo.
Additionally he will be competing against Gallagher, Coombes etc. for minutes.

I personally would like to see talented players going elsewhere for valuable game time and then returning rather than wait until they are 25/26 to make a breakthrough.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

munster#1 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 11:46 am

The Munster way.
However, as a fan of the player himself, I would love to see him establish himself as a first choice player regardless of where he is.

At 24 going into the current season and possibly the following season also depending on Earls, he is probably 2 injuries away from getting his place in the HC team as he is behind 3 wingers who were capped last season in Earls Conway and Daly and the returning Zebo.

I personally would like to see talented players going elsewhere for valuable game time and then returning rather than wait until they are 25/26 to make a breakthrough.
Daly's form fell off a cliff, Gallagher isn't going to make it. If Nash is talented then he should certainly be shoving a 34 year old winger out of the road. If he can't get into the Munster back 3 match day squad then he's not talented.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

I'd say the "Munster" fans are mighty pissed off that Ulster have poached Vermeulen. He would've been perfect for blocking another young Munster player.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

deco wrote: September 16th, 2021, 6:31 pm I'd say the "Munster" fans are mighty pissed off that Ulster have poached Vermeulen. He would've been perfect for blocking another young Munster player.
No way he would make the Young Munster team.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It comes down to whether he'll develop better elsewhere or where he is.

If he's going to get limited opportunities for 2 years then get cut, one idea would be to cut him now and if he bolts somewhere else you can just recruit him.

I have to say it's not very intuitive to me coming from the perspective of how Leinster bring through players.

At 24 and contracted for the season it's already late for him to work to the above timeframe.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

the spoofer wrote: September 16th, 2021, 11:50 am

The Munster way.

Daly's form fell off a cliff, Gallagher isn't going to make it. If Nash is talented then he should certainly be shoving a 34 year old winger out of the road. If he can't get into the Munster back 3 match day squad then he's not talented.
Only time will tell. As I said earlier, if he stays put, which he seems to be happy to do, and breaks into the squad then I will be delighted.

We are all entitled to our opinion, and I don’t expect to change yours, but I don’t agree with your statement that a player who doesn’t make the back 3 for Munster is not talented, as two of Zebo, Haley, Earls, Conway and Daly will not start if all are fit and given Munster use of the 6/2 split on the bench we may see 2 of those not even make the match day squad.
To me that is a talented bunch of players before we even look at the rest of the options, but again I respect your right to an opinion and we can agree to disagree.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some good news today with the announcement that Ed Sheeran is due to play in Thomond Park next May.

This will bring in some much needed income.
Hopefully this is a catalyst to getting more concerts and events to take place in the stadium.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

May is a good time to book Thomond Park.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:08 am May is a good time to book Thomond Park.
Kapow! :clap:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:59 am
ronk wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:08 am May is a good time to book Thomond Park.
It's on the Thursday night before the HC QF weekend.

M#1 says it's a great idea, I'll just leave that there.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Bird in the hand ... Surely
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:48 pm
ronk wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Bird in the hand ... Surely
I don’t often agree with you (joke) but you are 100% correct.
The IRFU and each of the provinces are broke for obvious reasons and any injection of cash can only be seen as a massive positive.
You would want to be a bit dim if you see this concert as a negative.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

:green clap: :green clap: :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:

This is the outright winner for Post of the Year
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:06 am Some good news today with the announcement that Ed Sheeran is due to play in Thomond Park next May.

This will bring in some much needed income.
Hopefully this is a catalyst to getting more concerts and events to take place in the stadium.

€81 to €91 per ticket. That could be a nice little earner. They also have the summer concerts in Musgrave. Not since covid but they will be starting up again next summer.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 5:16 pm
I don’t often agree with you (joke) but you are 100% correct.
The IRFU and each of the provinces are broke for obvious reasons and any injection of cash can only be seen as a massive positive.
You would want to be a bit dim if you see this concert as a negative.
I dunno, if Munster get a home QF against a French side with a short turnaround an early kickoff may be decisive. Same as if the pitch cuts up and costs them a win or a big injury. Missing a good TV slot could be expensive. Having the game in Dublin would be embarrassing.

The home QF is the annual goal of Irish provinces. You get more of the gate than the semi. It's the one that determines whether the annual report has a good year or not. Thursday night is the closest it could be in terms of risk. There could be less than 24 hours to prepare for the game. A bad loss at that stage could cost JvG his job.

Are the provinces short of cash? Connacht just signed a Tongan lock and an IQ Super rugby fullback. Munster signed an elite lock/blindside. Leinster signed the Samoan tighthead captain. Ulster got Vermeulen.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Xanthippe wrote: September 17th, 2021, 5:50 pm

Nice dig.
But at the risk of being pedantic here, aren’t Munster the team with the most HC quarter and semi final appearances?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Nice dig.
But at the risk of being pedantic here, aren’t Munster the team with the most HC quarter and semi final appearances?
#Bridesmaids
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote: September 18th, 2021, 7:38 am
munster#1 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Nice dig.
#Bridesmaids
Bridesmaids get to go to the main event
Anyone But New Zealand