Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by munster#1 »

Season ticket bought and so excited to finally get back into TP to watch a game live.

Munster made good progress last season both in terms of how they played, and with player development.
Casey, Coombes and Healy really stepped up to the mark, and IMO Wycherley also looks to have improved.

With 9 players moving from the academy to the senior squad, Munster have considerably reduced the average age of the squad, and IMO a number of those players have the raw talent to push on over the next couple of seasons to cement their place in the HC match day 23.

With JJ gone and Joey likely to be involved with Ireland, I really hope we get to see Crowley and Healy battle it out.
Personally I am routing for Crowley to take the 10 shirt and to form a long term partnership with Casey.
That would be a very exciting half back pairing.

With the players that have moved on, there are a number of gaps to be filled, and IMO the biggest loss will be Cronin. He has been ever present and has been a very good player.

Hopefully we get to see Snyman play this season, he along with JJ will offer some much needed grunt both in the scrum and around the field.

Munster have a somewhat favourable draw in the HC, and should be well placed to progress.
The introduction of the SA teams and the reduction in conflict with international fixtures will like mean that we see stronger teams each week, and this will of course lead to player fatigue and injury.
This is where strong squad depth will be key.

My realistic hopes for this season is for Munster to make the Pro16 final and the semi in the HC.
My possibly less realistic hope is to see Munster win some silverware.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

Munster got off lightly in the Lions so that'll be helpful in getting up to speed.

They've cleared out most of the post HC generation which leaves then with the older players and a gap behind. A fair bit of the young talent is already battle tested enough that Munster could rely on them if they are serious about transforming. Time will tell.

The big change is the pivot away from an undersized lock and towards a full rotating panel of 3 locks in the pack. We won't notice that fully until Snyman comes back from SA. Be interesting to see if that works without the power in the front row.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Zebo is back isn't he? he will bring some excitement and some attacking prowess to the back line

Is Casey far away from unseating Murray as first choice scrum half?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

JB1973 wrote: August 18th, 2021, 3:13 pm Zebo is back isn't he? he will bring some excitement and some attacking prowess to the back line

Yes, Zebo is back and has begun pre season training, so should be ready to go at the start of the season.
He will be an exciting addition to the already exciting list of back 3 options at Munster disposal.
I didn’t want to mention him as his name generally sparks a lot of negativity.

I don’t think that Casey will surpass Murray this season, as Murray seems to have come back into good form, and is one of the best SHs around.
Casey offers something different to Murray, and IMO it would be great if both are used depending on the opposition Munster are playing rather than a first choice/ second choice basis.

Casey will have a lot of opportunities this season to put his case forward. Murray will have a late return due to the lions tour, and his game time throughout the season will be carefully monitored by the IRFU.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

JB1973 wrote: August 18th, 2021, 3:13 pm Zebo is back isn't he? he will bring some excitement and some attacking prowess to the back line

Clock is ticking for Murray and Casey just needs to temper some of his extravagances (nothing that can't be sorted btw) and he'd be first choice.
Heresy Next.
A fit and in form Zebo should be first choice for one of the wing spots on the Irish team, I'd leave FB alone.
He's a better player than either Lowe or Stockdale.
For me even now Kearney and Earls are our best two national wingers.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Casey might do it for Munster at some stage but I think he'd still be behind JGP for Ireland. And Murray is still ahead of him too.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Clote posting anti-vax stuff online. Wondering if that will get a censor from the IRFU? Can't imagine the sponsors will be delighted with him.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 4:02 am Clote posting anti-vax stuff online. Wondering if that will get a censor from the IRFU? Can't imagine the sponsors will be delighted with him.
link to the offending screenshot -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9WRqoXWUAE ... me=900x900

does he deserve a censure for this, dunno because like most of the anti-tax wing nuts out there he very carefully does not tell you what he thinks, he just repeated something he thought was really clever but doesn't actually mean anything.

f%~k? muppet

All of this assumes that Gemma O'D has not hacked this account of course...
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on August 22nd, 2021, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I think he deserves a censure. Tired of f**king idiots like him spreading cr@p on the internet. Munster need to cut the wage bill down so here's a golden opportunity.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:14 pm I think he deserves a censure. Tired of f**king idiots like him spreading cr@p on the internet. Munster need to cut the wage bill down so here's a golden opportunity.
Is there a real danger that this will influence people. I mean Munster fans may think POM is an essential piece of the Ireland pack, that Brian O'Driscoll, was totally overrated, and that the only second row to ever play rugby to a decent standard came from Limerick but they're not total f*ckwits, are they ?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 4:10 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:14 pm I think he deserves a censure. Tired of f**king idiots like him spreading cr@p on the internet. Munster need to cut the wage bill down so here's a golden opportunity.
Is there a real danger that this will influence people. I mean Munster fans may think POM is an essential piece of the Ireland pack, that Brian O'Driscoll, was totally overrated, and that the only second row to ever play rugby to a decent standard came from Limerick but they're not total f*ckwits, are they ?
Once you drink strawberry koolaid you'll drink cherry koolaid. Fire him.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hes obviously a f%~king eejit, but being a f%~king eejit isn't cause for termination.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 7:45 pm Hes obviously a f%~king eejit, but being a f%~king eejit isn't cause for termination.
True.

But they should take away his scissors for good measure. If he doesn't know how to use them he has more problems than just vaccines.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In fairness it's always seemed strange that paper wraps rock. From there it's logical to think that rock doesn't break scissors or that scissors doesn't cut paper. Cmon sheeple.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 7:45 pm Hes obviously a f%~king eejit, but being a f%~king eejit isn't cause for termination.
Bringing an org into disrepute is cause for termination. But I suppose his lawyers could argue that plenty of people have gotten away with bringing Munster rugby into disrepute.
Last edited by FLIP on August 22nd, 2021, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 8:13 pm In fairness it's always seemed strange that paper wraps rock. From there it's logical to think that rock doesn't break scissors or that scissors doesn't cut paper. Cmon sheeple.
I see the flaw in your argument, Paper covers Rock :D :D :D
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

the status of his absolutely objective f%~king eejitry isn't the issue here, the potential harm caused by his posts and the potential disrepute he has brought to his employer is.

I personally reckon that his likely fandom (Munster fans) are not total fuckwits and will ignore this post (which, btw, looks like it was taken down).
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

FLIP wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:04 pm
Bringing an org into disrepute is cause for termination. But I suppose his lawyers could argue that plenty of people have gotten away with bringing Munster rugby into disrepute.
Self immolation didn't work . . . .
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

sunshiner1 wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 4:02 am Clote posting anti-vax stuff online. Wondering if that will get a censor from the IRFU? Can't imagine the sponsors will be delighted with him.
Ironic for a guy who seems to have no objections to injecting himself... :lol:
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hard to believe that Munster have a player like him on the books, and now it turns out he's anti vax as well!