Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 1st, 2021, 3:29 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm Knox starting the game. Hopefully this is the season where he can finally pin down the jersey and become the first team starter. He's kinda flown under the radar for the last few years but I think he's a guy who could be a big deal for Munster and Ireland.
Do you think they pressured Porter to accommodate him?
No.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm Knox starting the game. Hopefully this is the season where he can finally pin down the jersey and become the first team starter. He's kinda flown under the radar for the last few years but I think he's a guy who could be a big deal for Munster and Ireland.
Will he be IQ for the 2023 RWC
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

the spoofer wrote: October 1st, 2021, 4:18 pm
I really hope not.

That ship has long sailed unfortunately.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What's the difference between Knox playing for Ireland and James Lowe?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: October 1st, 2021, 6:45 pm
the spoofer wrote: October 1st, 2021, 4:18 pm
I really hope not.

That ship has long sailed unfortunately.
What are you basing that on?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

wixfjord wrote: October 1st, 2021, 7:06 pm What's the difference between Knox playing for Ireland and James Lowe?
Poaching kids from abroad. If you don't see it, that's you.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ah in fairness its not like they sent out the Child Catcher to lure him with gingerbread
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:57 pm Ah in fairness its not like they sent out the Child Catcher to lure him with gingerbread
Love the reference. And it's true of course.

Knox was still the most egregious case of project players. Once it was banned, there was no reason to hold back. So Munster hired the 2 more promising boys out of school and moved them around the world.

They hadn't spotted a generational talent, they were just getting a few more years out of the project player system.

I'm not as annoyed about it as many, but I can see why it hit some nerves. Knox is the best example for why to change the project player system.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Of course that's nothing against the lad himself.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: October 1st, 2021, 11:46 pm Of course that's nothing against the lad himself.
At all.

Them's the rules and best of luck to him. Doesn't mean I don't think we behaved shittily.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 12:07 am
ronk wrote: October 1st, 2021, 11:46 pm Of course that's nothing against the lad himself.
At all.

Them's the rules and best of luck to him. Doesn't mean I don't think we behaved shittily.
Yeah, I'm glad we were able to get Gibson-Park and Lowe and I love watching them play. I'm also glad the rules were changed in the end.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I can understand why people dislike how he came here but he's here and unlike the other lad he's had the mental toughness to stick it out and develop into a asset for Munster. He hasn't broken any rules and from what people say he's a good lad whose put in the effort. Like any other young lad coming through I hope he has the best career he can possibly have.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:06 pm I can understand why people dislike how he came here but he's here and unlike the other lad he's had the mental toughness to stick it out and develop into a asset for Munster. He hasn't broken any rules and from what people say he's a good lad whose put in the effort. Like any other young lad coming through I hope he has the best career he can possibly have.
who's the other lad?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:36 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 1st, 2021, 7:06 pm What's the difference between Knox playing for Ireland and James Lowe?
That's massively different to poaching project players to go into the national side is it?

I think that's a bit rich personally.

It's not like Knox was taken against his will like.

Would you say the same about Salanoa too btw?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:25 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:06 pm I can understand why people dislike how he came here but he's here and unlike the other lad he's had the mental toughness to stick it out and develop into a asset for Munster. He hasn't broken any rules and from what people say he's a good lad whose put in the effort. Like any other young lad coming through I hope he has the best career he can possibly have.
who's the other lad?

Matt More, hes with Pumas now
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I wouldn't criticise a teenager who gave up on a move to Limerick from SA. Lots of reasons why someone might find it not working out of find that it's not living up to their expectations. Knox is a tighthead, he knew he'd get 3-4 years before anyone expected him to do anything and squad age profile took all the pressure off.

Very different for a utility back.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:38 pm
That's massively different to poaching project players to go into the national side is it?

Yeah, it's massively different. If you can't see that I can't help you.

Salanoa upped sticks to get a career in a sport he would have to leave to get one in. Adults leaving for more money is professional sport. It's a bit cr@p that you can wave international honours to tempt them but that was the system.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

None, neither should be.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:23 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:38 pm

Yeah, it's massively different. If you can't see that I can't help you.

Salanoa upped sticks to get a career in a sport he would have to leave to get one in. Adults leaving for more money is professional sport. It's a bit cr@p that you can wave international honours to tempt them but that was the system.
Hmm, I don't think it's massively different at all. Salanoa was handpicked from a country halfway across the world and brought to Ireland to play for an Irish province and potentially the national side.

So was Knox (who was 18 when he moved).

So was Lowe.

What about lads like Wooton or other exiles who were picked to come across at a young age? Is it totally different because they have some tenuous Irish links?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

the spoofer wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:41 pm
None, neither should be.
They're both eligible for Ireland. Lowe has been good enough to get picked. Knox hasn't yet.