Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

Racist is a bit strong. Salanoa was recruited from America and isn't a product of the Leinster underage system. I think that's the reference to actual Leinster players.

Bit early to say that last year's pattern is repeating because it's just 1 game. It does look like a chance being missed.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

FLIP wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 8:13 am
munster#1 wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 11:04 pm
FLIP wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 9:22 pm Imagine being Salanoa and be riding pine in a preseason match which is two Munster teams playing against each other, instead of probably starting a preseason match next week for Leinster given he was higher rated than our current 3rd choice TH.

Leinster player moves directly to Munster and their career suffers non shocker.
On the “Flip” side, Patterson and Osborne (actual Leinster players) are starting whereas had they stayed with Leinster they would likely be prepping for AIL action.
Nice of them to get some time considering everyone ahead of them is on international rest. Probably one of the few times we'll see them this season.

And Salanoa was an actual Leinster player, or are you just being a bit racist now?
There is no need for a comment like that.
You my friend have gone way too far with that accusation.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

munster#1 wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 10:19 am

On the “Flip” side, Patterson and Osborne (actual Leinster players) are starting whereas had they stayed with Leinster they would likely be prepping for AIL action.
Nice of them to get some time considering everyone ahead of them is on international rest. Probably one of the few times we'll see them this season.

And Salanoa was an actual Leinster player, or are you just being a bit racist now?
There is no need for a comment like that.
You my friend have gone way too far with that accusation.
Justify how he wasn't an actual Leinster player then, seeing as he actually played for the senior side. You make a remark about how he wasn't an actual Leinster player without backing that up with why you think that, don't be surprised if other people reach conculsions about what you've said that you don't like.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 11:50 am

Justify how he wasn't an actual Leinster player then, seeing as he actually played for the senior side. You make a remark about how he wasn't an actual Leinster player without backing that up with why you think that, don't be surprised if other people reach conculsions about what you've said that you don't like.
Becuase he didn't come through the Leinster system. I'd say that's fairly obvious.

I don't agree, but it's hardly a crazy point.

You're acting the eejit here with racism accusations. Cop on.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 12:07 pm

Becuase he didn't come through the Leinster system. I'd say that's fairly obvious.

If he played for Leinster he was a Leinster player. Saying he didn't come through the system is very close to saying he wasn't a valid player because he was foreign. Which is definitely racist. The onus is on munster#1 to explain himself as there's definitely the possibility of racism.

Should people not stand up to racism when they see or suspect it?
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

FLIP wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 12:11 pm

If he played for Leinster he was a Leinster player. Saying he didn't come through the system is very close to saying he wasn't a valid player because he was foreign. Which is definitely racist. The onus is on munster#1 to explain himself as there's definitely the possibility of racism.

FWIW FLIP, it would be incredibly uncharitable to say m#1 was being racist here. A more charitable view would be that he was trying to setup some kind of gotcha, maybe to say James Ryan was actually a Munster player because he played for Munster before playing for Leinster or some other such nonsense.

The argument that he was referring to him not coming through the Leinster System does not hold water though, he was a Leinster player by virtue of the fact that he was contracted to and played for Leinster
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

FLIP wrote:
Saying he didn't come through the system is very close to saying he wasn't a valid player because he was foreign. Which is definitely racist. The onus is on munster#1 to explain himself as there's definitely the possibility of racism.

Yeah but you need to actually see it though. What you are describing is xenophobia not racism.

For the record, I don't suspect m#1 of either.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I am glad to see sense from all other people.
My comment was not a racist comment in any way, shape or form. If someone can jump straight to racism based on that comment then it is more of a reflection of them than me.

I am not going to try to justify myself for not being a racist, as this would be a futile and dangerous discussion to enter.

I made a tongue in cheek comment as a follow up to another tongue in cheek comment made by Flip.

This discussion should be ended right now.
Last edited by munster#1 on September 3rd, 2021, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

We need a sarcasm font
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

FLIP wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 9:22 pm Imagine being Salanoa and be riding pine in a preseason match which is two Munster teams playing against each other, instead of probably starting a preseason match next week for Leinster given he was higher rated than our current 3rd choice TH.

Leinster player moves directly to Munster and their career suffers non shocker.

And Salanoa was an actual Leinster player, orare you just being a bit racist now?
What a ridiculous comment. Cop on.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Might be better to quit while your behind.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Apparently Salanoa had a slight injury setback earlier this week which has led him to start on the bench.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

dropkick wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 1:16 pm

Might be better to quit while your behind.
If you're happy with racist dogwhistles then that says more about you than me.
Anyone But New Zealand
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Seriously, I think you're the only one who sees the comment as being in any way racist. Every poster responding has disagreed with you and backed m#1 up. Even deco is siding with the Munster supporter here, which is a first.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

So we’re all agreed that Salanoa is an ex Leinster Player and his move down south to the Shelbyvillians looks like a poor one for him.

That’s a decent enough way to wrap up on a Friday.

So any thoughts on Mayo or Tyrone for the Sam?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

limecat wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm Seriously, I think you're the only one who sees the comment as being in any way racist. Every poster responding has disagreed with you and backed m#1 up. Even deco is siding with the Munster supporter here, which is a first.
He's just having a slow day.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Anyway back to the rugby, the real reason Salanoa isn't starting is they want to balance the squad to avoid having Leinster B vs South African flavoured sides.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I wasn’t at the game, but was talking to a friend who was, and the word is that Patterson had a great game and looks to be an exciting prospect.

Kendellan also had a very good game.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

That's good to hear about Kendellan. From all I heard and read about him during the u20s, he seemed to be running the show and I expect this Munster game was another step up (?)
Hopefully he gets a bit of exposure this year, and Hodnett too - who seems to have been almost forgotten about with the emergence of Kendellan, and Coombes' great season
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Laighin Break wrote: September 5th, 2021, 1:33 am That's good to hear about Kendellan. From all I heard and read about him during the u20s, he seemed to be running the show and I expect this Munster game was another step up (?)
Hopefully he gets a bit of exposure this year, and Hodnett too - who seems to have been almost forgotten about with the emergence of Kendellan, and Coombes' great season

If Kendellan can fulfil his promise, and unfortunately this is never a given, the Munster and Ireland will have a serious talent at their disposal.
He reminds me a lot of D Wallace, but Kendellan has the added talent of being a leader.

Unfortunately Hodnett had a very untimely injury last season, just as it looked like he might get a good run of games.
This could be a massive season for Hodnett. If he can remain fit, then he should see a fair few minutes.