Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

Ryan wins a scrum penalty despite collapsing. So next scrum he collapses again with the ref now on his side. Now Exeter go level for half time.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ronk wrote: April 16th, 2022, 3:24 pm It was tough on Munster the way the quick penalty was allowed when the ref made life hard by the way he marked the spot.

Murray still had time to get back though. Should know better.
It was everyone. Kleyn even turned his back.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Is Zebo still sick? He's barely involved
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

ronk wrote: April 16th, 2022, 4:17 pm Is Zebo still sick? He's barely involved
Elusive!

Show Spoiler:
He will probably score now :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

POM playing like he's Beirne.

If Munster could use the ball well they'd be out of sight.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Fereira certainly earned his wages. Not so sure about Larkham.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gorgeous bit of skill from Zebo. Munster have clearly been the better side.

Exeter are so one dimensional it's incredible. They remind me of Biarritz back in the day.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Kickable penalty with just under 15 mins to go and down 4 points (on aggregate) and Exeter chose to kick to touch. I thought they knew how to play knock out rugby
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Fair play to Munster for the win.

But that was turgid stuff to watch - Exeter did nothing to improve the standard either - and neither Ulster in Belfast or Toulouse in Limerick will be all that worried.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Laighin Break wrote: April 16th, 2022, 4:44 pm Kickable penalty with just under 15 mins to go and down 4 points (on aggregate) and Exeter chose to kick to touch. I thought they knew how to play knock out rugby
Exeter's goal kicker Joe Simmonds - 0% success rate over the tie. Missed every kick he took at the posts in two games.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

If Munster end up facing Toulouse at home in the quarter-finals, where will they play it? Thomond Park won't be available due to the Ed Sheeran gigs on the 5th and 6th of May.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sam Warburton seemed to indicate that it would be in Lansdowne rd whoever won the other game
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Exeter were toothless and a very long way from their PRL & EPCR winning form of two years ago. Munster disciplined overall and excellent in turnovers but their attacking edge is still fairly blunt. A good win for them and few will relish the prospect of meeting them - except Leinster.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: April 16th, 2022, 4:40 pm Gorgeous bit of skill from Zebo. Munster have clearly been the better side.

Exeter are so one dimensional it's incredible. They remind me of Biarritz back in the day.
A big problem was that their gameplan didn't match their selection. They had a backrow weighing 117kg, 119kg and 125kg respectively, but they wanted to get to the edge on the openside off No10 a lot when they attacked. So they purposefully spread the ball really far away from their big pack, which struggled to get across the pitch.

Obviously they are also missing most of their best players: no Simmonds, Hill, Cowan-Dickie, Nowell [all Lions].
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

POM was absolutely brilliant for Munster. So many big moments.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If I'm Munster I think Ulster is the draw I'd want. Sure it's away but I think they're more likely to go to Ravers than beat Toulouse in the Aviva.
ustix
Bookworm

Post by ustix »

Sure it'll be great to just have another day out.
That which does not bend breaks
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: April 16th, 2022, 5:06 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 16th, 2022, 4:40 pm Gorgeous bit of skill from Zebo. Munster have clearly been the better side.

A big problem was that their gameplan didn't match their selection. They had a backrow weighing 117kg, 119kg and 125kg respectively, but they wanted to get to the edge on the openside off No10 a lot when they attacked. So they purposefully spread the ball really far away from their big pack, which struggled to get across the pitch.

Obviously they are also missing most of their best players: no Simmonds, Hill, Cowan-Dickie, Nowell [all Lions].
JvG would have known what to do with backrow.

This was a good example of how mobility beats bulk.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ustix wrote: April 16th, 2022, 6:47 pm Sure it'll be great to just have another day out.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Absolutely delighted with todays result.
I was actually expecting Munster to lose that game, but not willing to admit it prior to the game.

Munster were bullied at the breakdown and scrum last week, and their discipline hampered them from mounting any real attavk.
This week Munster clearly put in a lot of work, and with the introduction of POM, they hammered Exeter in the line out.

Munster are a team at the very beginning of a belated rebuilding process, with a large number of players in todays squad not long out of the academy.
For those players to be involved in a 2 legged affair like this will really stand to them.

Next up is the greatest team to play in this competition, and reigning champs.
I would love to see Munster move this game a few hundred meters down the road to the Gaelic Grounds, but it is most likely to take place in the Aviva.
Ulster showed that Toulouse are far from invincible, but Munster will have to step things up a bit.

I hope that we have Killer, Beirne and Coombes back by then, as Munster will need them.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.