Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by SoupyNorman »

munster#1 wrote: March 26th, 2022, 11:38 am
I feel that the scoreboard doesn’t reflect how well Treviso played, however, as is all too common for Italian teams, they ran out of puff in the last 20 mins.
At least you were able to see the scoreboard for this one. Everyone struggling to make anything out from it in Musser during daytime matches in recent months.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: March 26th, 2022, 11:38 am Great to get a BP win.

I feel that the scoreboard doesn’t reflect how well Treviso played, however, as is all too common for Italian teams, they ran out of puff in the last 20 mins.

Josh had a day to forget unfortunately, but I hope it is an outing that he will take a good lesson from.
It was noticeable how the scrum settled once Loughman came on, and how it became a weapon once JJ came on.
With JJ coming on for Kendellan the weight in the pack increased considerably.

Watching Coombes is an absolute delight. He has some engine on him.
His ability to go into contact from almost a standing still position and still drive players back is unparalleled in Irish rugby.

JOD is in a very rich vein of form, he seems to be able to play at the same level for 80 mins. He is a very good ball carrier, and is a complete nuisance at the breakdown despot not having the turnover numbers of others.

Healy has become a very good player, and is quickly moving from the position of an inexperienced 22 year old to a trusted option.

Munster, despite the hammering they got earlier in the season for being a limited team, are now the top try scorers in the league, well until later today at least, but it does show that they are playing good rugby.

Josh Wycherley was poor after we (I) bugging him up during the week but the 6 day turnaround after playing nearly 80min and a long flight home so I'd let him off that performance.

With Coombes you have to send 2 men to tackle him. One around the legs the second to stop the offload. He is a good decoy these days. Why bash into 2 or 3 waiting defenders when you can ship the ball on. Billy Vunipola became a much better player when he started doing that but Stander never learned to do it.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Coombes is some player. Along with the physical performance(s) I love the attitude of total unflusteredness he conveys. Man on a mission.....
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: March 27th, 2022, 10:33 am
munster#1 wrote: March 26th, 2022, 11:38 am Great to get a BP win.

Josh had a day to forget unfortunately, but I hope it is an outing that he will take a good lesson from.
It was noticeable how the scrum settled once Loughman came on, and how it became a weapon once JJ came on.
With JJ coming on for Kendellan the weight in the pack increased considerably.

Watching Coombes is an absolute delight. He has some engine on him.
His ability to go into contact from almost a standing still position and still drive players back is unparalleled in Irish rugby.

JOD is in a very rich vein of form, he seems to be able to play at the same level for 80 mins. He is a very good ball carrier, and is a complete nuisance at the breakdown despot not having the turnover numbers of others.

Healy has become a very good player, and is quickly moving from the position of an inexperienced 22 year old to a trusted option.

Munster, despite the hammering they got earlier in the season for being a limited team, are now the top try scorers in the league, well until later today at least, but it does show that they are playing good rugby.

Josh Wycherley was poor after we (I) bugging him up during the week but the 6 day turnaround after playing nearly 80min and a long flight home so I'd let him off that performance.

With Coombes you have to send 2 men to tackle him. One around the legs the second to stop the offload. He is a good decoy these days. Why bash into 2 or 3 waiting defenders when you can ship the ball on. Billy Vunipola became a much better player when he started doing that but Stander never learned to do it.
I definitely won’t be holding that performance against him. He was bested by a fairly experienced TH prop which is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Your points about the turnaround and the travel are very valid, and something I didn’t consider.

On Coombes, I agree that he should look to vary his play, but the his ability to straighten the line, suck in 2-3 defenders and still get over the gain line is massive.
His ability to provide front foot ball is something that Munster and Ireland should look to capitalise on in tight games.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Watching Knox, it makes even less sense why he's not being given starts.

The narrative that he's 'not ready' can be dispelled based on that performance.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Coombes is playing well and carrying a lot on his shoulders. I wonder if that isn't part of the reason it hasn't happened for him yet at international level, he needs time to adjust to a different role.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:42 pm Coombes is playing well and carrying a lot on his shoulders. I wonder if that isn't part of the reason it hasn't happened for him yet at international level, he needs time to adjust to a different role.
I think it was just his injury/Covid that set him back but he seems to be back to his best now.

There was one time on Friday when two lads tried to tackle him when he was pretty much standing still. One of the tacklers bounced off his hip and the other couldn’t shift him at all, incredible power.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 27th, 2022, 4:03 pm
ronk wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:42 pm Coombes is playing well and carrying a lot on his shoulders. I wonder if that isn't part of the reason it hasn't happened for him yet at international level, he needs time to adjust to a different role.
I think it was just his injury/Covid that set him back but he seems to be back to his best now.

There was one time on Friday when two lads tried to tackle him when he was pretty much standing still. One of the tacklers bounced off his hip and the other couldn’t shift him at all, incredible power.
One distinct fault he needs to eradicate from his game, if he is to successfully transition to a Green jersey, is timing his runs to collect passes at breakdowns. He tends to take the ball static, unlike Doris & Conan in particular. Doris has knocked on a couple in these circumstances but the advantages of taking it that footwork after receipt of the ball has a huge impact on the defence. Take it static and footwork can never has as dynamic an effect.

At present in the Irish Squad, Sheehan, Henshaw, Conan and Lowe probably take ball in this position with best timing. Even if you have physique, acceleration and timing are more valuable because of the quality of tacking.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 27th, 2022, 4:03 pm

I don't really have any concerns that he'll fail to move up a level like Jack O'Donoghue or Shane Daly, I just think he needs to adapt a bit first. The faster he accepts that the sooner he'll break into the 23.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:21 pm Watching Knox, it makes even less sense why he's not being given starts.

Can any narrative be dispelled based on 20 odd minutes against an Italian team?

If not form, ability or injury, what do you believe the reason to be for Knox not getting more games?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: March 28th, 2022, 10:46 am
wixfjord wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:21 pm Watching Knox, it makes even less sense why he's not being given starts.

If not form, ability or injury, what do you believe the reason to be for Knox not getting more games?
I mean we discussed this last week right? Probably no reason to go over it again.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I watched only the first half of Munster last week (so I thought they were excellent) and saw Ryan carrying, offloading, passing, and scrummaging hard and thought to myself "how has Archer a job that isn't down at the supermarket loading bay?" So Munster have some crazy thinking going on at prop.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: March 28th, 2022, 11:09 am
munster#1 wrote: March 28th, 2022, 10:46 am

I mean we discussed this last week right? Probably no reason to go over it again.
Apologies if you have given your opinion on why he is not being selected, but I can’t remember you doing so.
I did ask this question, but from what I can see it was left unanswered.

I have given my opinion which I believe is down to his lack of luck around injuries, I would also have a feeling (as I’m not privy to this info) that given that Munster are giving loads of minutes to other young options, that it is perceived that he is not at the required level yet, and his development is being carefully managed.

I would love to see what your thoughts are on why he wouldn’t be selected, as you may be in a position to provide valuable information.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Springboks World Cup winner Damien de Allende has confirmed he is leaving Munster at the end of the season. The 30-year-old centre has also revealed he will not be joining Johann van Graan at Bath next season or any other club in Europe.

“I’m not staying, but it hasn’t been confirmed where I’m going,” de Allende told the Irish media on Tuesday. “I’m not staying in Europe, so I’m definitely not going to Bath, I haven’t spoken to anyone at Bath. I will not be staying in Europe as of the end of the season, which is unfortunate, but I’m looking forward to ending the season on a high.

“I really want to leave Munster with great memories I’ve made already, but some silverware as well.”

The expectation has always been that de Allende would return to playing club rugby in Japan although his statement could hold out the possibility of him returning to his native South Africa ahead of their defence of the World Cup in France late next year. Wasps centre Malakai Fekitoa will join Munster next season on a two-year deal.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

He has put in a fair shift in fairness. Hopefully he goes back to a SA side and stays in the league.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

This will be his fifth Munster Leinster game, bit his first in front of a crowd. He did well for them at a pretty difficult time
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

No real a surprise give the long running speculation and the fact that Munster have already announced the signing of DDA’s replacement, but it is sad to read non the less.

DDA is a world class player and potentially the best 12 in the world.
He brings so much calm and experience to the back line, which must be great for the young out halves on Munster’s books.

Hopefully Munster can push hard between now and the end of the season and whilst it is just an outside chance, it would be great if they could win some silverware.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Chris Cloete off to Bath next season.
I am a massive fan of his. He is an unreal groundhog openside, and has put in some really good performances for Munster over the years.

It is looking like Leinster and Munster are trying to reduce their squad sizes going into next season.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

munster#1 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:03 am Chris Cloete off to Bath next season.
I am a massive fan of his. He is an unreal groundhog openside, and has put in some really good performances for Munster over the years.

It is looking like Leinster and Munster are trying to reduce their squad sizes going into next season.
This is a great move for Munster. Hodnett is a better player and should be getting the gametime.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

the spoofer wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:21 am
munster#1 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:03 am Chris Cloete off to Bath next season.

This is a great move for Munster. Hodnett is a better player and should be getting the gametime.
Kendellan too, but actually Munster have loads of options due to versatile players.

Cloete is a decent player but he has good and bad days. Even on his good days he gives away too many penalties.