Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote: December 19th, 2021, 10:26 am
johng wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:27 pm "if anything this fella could end up as the best back-up at No10 since Winston Churchill told poor old Nev Chamberlain to get out the door of Downing Street."

[/cringe]

Stopped reading after that. Was out and didn't see the game.
Coincidentally I actually had stopped reading at the point your post suggested.
The shyte monitor had gone to Defcon 5 at that stage.
So did I; my inner history buff revolted!!! Barf-emoji....
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great to register another victory in Europe’s premier competition.

Many of the Munster players haven’t played in around 2 months and this showed in the number of basic errors.

DDA was great again, as was Healy.
The Munster 9,10, 12, and 13 must be one of the most physical out there, and they really need to use that physicality to better effect.

Great to see 5 more HC debutants get a run.
Between last week’s and yesterdays games, that is a remarkable number of players getting HC exposure.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:14 pm
dropkick wrote: December 19th, 2021, 10:50 am
Hugh Cahill and DOC were just as bad. I thought Healy played well though. First game in over 2 months. Some compare him to Ross Byrne but hes a much better athlete than Ross Byrne is. Very calm also unlike JJ Hanrahan.
Do you reckon he’s a better athlete than Ross? Not sure I’ve seen much of that.

He’s bigger and physical defensively, but not much of an breaking threat and not very quick.
Amazing how Hugh Cahill managed to totally miss or ignore the peno kick to touch in the first 20 minutes Healy managed to miss out of going for too much length - with a Castre player catching the ball infield. Contrast how we never heard the effin end of it for days on end, when Harry's one kick to touch vs Connacht went straight out, despite brushing the whitewash!!!!!
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Huge Cahill does seem to come from the Ger Canning style of commentary where a half decent kick or play is consistently described as huge. And of course Munster players weren't just but 'super super'.

Despite continually crying about horrible and terrible the match was it came across like these were super human behemoths that were playing for Munster. And suggesting Munster, who weren't playing cohesively but were very comfortable should bring on Craig Casey to open the game up seemed extremely naive, when all Castres' main threats were coming from errors in Munster back play.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

The Examiner reporting the French sportspapers' reaction to the game: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 69292.html

I have to admit that I only knew three players on the Castres team – Urdapilleta, Jacquet and Aguillon. The rest of the names meant nothing to me. It turns out it was basically the Castres second string.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Kidney being linked with a return to his native province as director of rugby.
This would be a very good signing imo. He is Munster through and through. He’s been there and done it, building a Munster squad from scratch and guiding them to their 2 HC wins.

His appointment will allow the next head coach to concentrate on the day to day coaching.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 7QL_m9wcec
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

munster#1 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:17 pm Kidney being linked with a return to his native province as director of rugby.
This would be a very good signing imo. He is Munster through and through. He’s been there and done it, building a Munster squad from scratch and guiding them to their 2 HC wins.

His appointment will allow the next head coach to concentrate on the day to day coaching.

I really, really hope this is true 👍
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:27 pm "if anything this fella could end up as the best back-up at No10 since Winston Churchill told poor old Nev Chamberlain to get out the door of Downing Street."

[/cringe]

Hugh Cahill and DOC were just as bad
. I thought Healy played well though. First game in over 2 months. Some compare him to Ross Byrne but hes a much better athlete than Ross Byrne is. Very calm also unlike JJ Hanrahan.
It was like they knew nothing about the Castres team. I complained in the HEC thread. DOC is usually fine but with other commentators. Christ they spent about 10 minutes just talking Munster on and off the field it was so cringe. That was an international broadcast.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

wixfjord wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Hugh Cahill and DOC were just as bad. I thought Healy played well though. First game in over 2 months. Some compare him to Ross Byrne but hes a much better athlete than Ross Byrne is. Very calm also unlike JJ Hanrahan.
Do you reckon he’s a better athlete than Ross? Not sure I’ve seen much of that.

He’s bigger and physical defensively, but not much of an breaking threat and not very quick.

Hes not lightening quick off the mark but he can raise a gallop. The biggest difference though is Ross is fairly feeble. When he goes into contact he falls like a sack of spuds. Dan Biggar isn't fast but is fairly strong. Carbery is fairly weak but he has speed and agility. Harry is an.athlete compared to Ross.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

paddyor wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:35 pm

[/cringe]

Hugh Cahill and DOC were just as bad
. I thought Healy played well though. First game in over 2 months. Some compare him to Ross Byrne but hes a much better athlete than Ross Byrne is. Very calm also unlike JJ Hanrahan.
It was like they knew nothing about the Castres team. I complained in the HEC thread. DOC is usually fine but with other commentators. Christ they spent about 10 minutes just talking Munster on and off the field it was so cringe. That was an international broadcast.
Irish commentators are very cringe. I wish they would just tell us what's happening and know that they don't need to fill every second with their voice.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

deco wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:31 pm
munster#1 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:17 pm Kidney being linked with a return to his native province as director of rugby.

So do I. Himself and Prendergast would be my choices assuming someone like Robertson is fantasy.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:46 pm
deco wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:31 pm

So do I. Himself and Prendergast would be my choices assuming someone like Robertson is fantasy.
Having someone with Kidney’s experience on board would be essential if Predergast is your head coach.

I would also love if we could get McNamara on board or even Felix Jones
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If Kidney is an option then so is EOS.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

[/cringe]

He’s not half the player that Ross Byrne is. Byrne is the most underrated player in Irish rugby.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Hugh Cahill is a Munster “fan with a type writer”. If that was Leinster we would have been slaughtered.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote: December 14th, 2021, 9:43 pm Bring back Kidney, throw in POC, FLA, Quinne, the dream ticket!
Called it!
Seriously though.
That would be an offal appointment. :lol:

Ill get my coat.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Munster fans wanting Kidney back? Ha ha ha ha. :lol:

Oh wait, they're actually serious, let me laugh even harder.

How did the line from our local Dave Cahill go on this? Declan Kidney is a rugby dinosaur was how it started. The Leinster supporter in me wants it to happen so Munster sink even deeper into despondency. The Ireland supporter doesn't want him anywhere near Irish rugby as he was yesterday's man more than a decade ago, which makes him beyond past it now.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Kidney has another problem: he signed Paddy Jackson.

That's fine while he's in England, but it creates a PR minefield for giving him a big IRFU job.

Right now the IRFU don't need any more problems from that direction.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Munster fans out there already trying to spin LI being mid table as Kidney working miracles.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If they hire him, he's going to be asked about making an alleged rapist one of the highest paid players in the prem.

And Munster will have to own whatever answer he makes. 2nd chances, he was technically innocent, a bargain, "I didn't pay attention to any of that", nice lad and I believe him etc. Whatever answer will be unsatisfactory to some people. Is the IRFU willing to pay that price?

It's also evidence of how unsuitable he is to develop youth. He went all in on big mega-risk signings from his previous life like Jackson and Sean O'Brien.

Munster desperately need someone who can develop talent. Guys like Shane Daly have lost their way badly.