Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

We’ll know more when the team drops.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

A big factor that I think people are missing, is not just that Munster will be fielding a significantly weakened team, one which has been thrown together using a few pros a few semi pros and a few amateurs, but this thrown together team is also minus a full coaching team.

Whilst the childish few will say that that should be seen as a positive, it is a major factor.

Costello is new to the setup and is now minus a forwards and a backs/skills coach along with the rest of the support team that is also isolating.

In addition to all this, of the players who have played at this level, most have had very little, if any minutes over the last couple of months.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by munster#1

A big factor that I think people are missing, is not just that Munster will be fielding a significantly weakened team, one which has been thrown together using a few pros a few semi pros and a few amateurs, but this thrown together team is also minus a full coaching team.

Whilst the childish few will say that that should be seen as a positive, it is a major factor.

Costello is new to the setup and is now minus a forwards and a backs/skills coach along with the rest of the support team that is also isolating.

In addition to all this, of the players who have played at this level, most have had very little, if any minutes over the last couple of months.
Don't think you guys will win but I'd love to see some of the new guys give a good account of themselves. No doubt they'll be referencing the Ozzie game and a few others in the dressing room. Good luck to you guys anyway I hope it's a cracker.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

f%~k the begrudging on here. I hope this is the making of a bunch of fellas. I hope it's not the breaking of them. I hope they go out there with no fear and give a great account.

It's a seriously difficult task but at least there is a good core of seasoned pros so it's possible.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:55 am
by munster#1

Don't think you guys will win but I'd love to see some of the new guys give a good account of themselves. No doubt they'll be referencing the Ozzie game and a few others in the dressing room. Good luck to you guys anyway I hope it's a cracker.
Thanks Sunshiner.

My thoughts exactly.
I can’t see Munster winning this one, the lack of experience in the front row and back row are the main reasons why.

However, as you said, this provides a great opportunity for players with a great opportunity, and hopefully we can look back on this as the catalyst for a player making it to the next level and beyond.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

This is doable. Wasps are in the basement of the AP and have a major injury crisis. BP win for Munster.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote: December 8th, 2021, 1:40 pm This is doable. Wasps are in the basement of the AP and have a major injury crisis. BP win for Munster.
Wasps have lost four of their last five. The only team they have beaten were the hopeless Bath.

The bookies have Munster as favourites and they're rarely wrong; Munster also have literally all of their best players – their current Irish test players and current Springbok – available for selection. Anything less than a win is a poor result.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: December 8th, 2021, 2:03 pm
paddyor wrote: December 8th, 2021, 1:40 pm This is doable. Wasps are in the basement of the AP and have a major injury crisis. BP win for Munster.
Wasps have lost four of their last five. The only team they have beaten were the hopeless Bath.

The bookies have Munster as favourites and they're rarely wrong; Munster also have literally all of their best players – their current Irish test players and current Springbok – available for selection. Anything less than a win is a poor result.
And it's 16 through to the knockouts. Even a LBP in an away match puts them on track.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

To the brave and the faithful, we salute you
No, wait that was AC/DC
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:27 am
Barry wrote: December 7th, 2021, 10:08 pm
mildlyinterested wrote:
what absolute bollix.
No doubt the script for the play has been started.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
I know, it's been set up as the "Miracle Match, Part Deux" but I'd still like to see a ramshakle Munster 23 turn up and kick some Premiership butt!
100%! Here's to the Southern Cousins!!! (Of course, if Munster do win, we'll never hear the end of it; but that goes with the territory, I guess... :roll: )
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ONly 18k tickets sold for the Castres game. Would explain some of the frenzy about the incoming "miracle" IMO.

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status ... 62816?s=20
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Munster confirm positive Covid cases among group who returned to Ireland

Some of the players and staff who arrived back from South Africa have since tested positive.

https://www.the42.ie/munster-wasps-van- ... 4-Dec2021/

Playing their cards to their chest - no exact figure given...
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

paddyor wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:15 pm ONly 18k tickets sold for the Castres game. Would explain some of the frenzy about the incoming "miracle" IMO.

I think the most recent increase in Covid case numbers along with the fear of the new variant has had an affect on ticket sales.

I know a few people who rarely, if ever miss a game, who have stated that they are not going for fear that they will catch Covid so close to Christmas.

I would expect ticket sales to go over the 20k mark.
Which comparatively speaking, is a good number.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

riocard911 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:32 pm Munster confirm positive Covid cases among group who returned to Ireland

Some of the players and staff who arrived back from South Africa have since tested positive.

The figure I heard was that it was 13, which is a worrying number of true.

With the players returning from SA requiring an additional 10 days quarantine on arrival, all players who have subsequently tested positive will now have to perform additional isolation.
In addition, you will have some players who have recovered and are free to play which can’t due to the physical effects of Covid.

Munster could be in a bit of bother player wise come the Castres game.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

munster#1 wrote: December 9th, 2021, 9:35 am
riocard911 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:32 pm Munster confirm positive Covid cases among group who returned to Ireland

The figure I heard was that it was 13, which is a worrying number of true.

With the players returning from SA requiring an additional 10 days quarantine on arrival, all players who have subsequently tested positive will now have to perform additional isolation.
In addition, you will have some players who have recovered and are free to play which can’t due to the physical effects of Covid.

Munster could be in a bit of bother player wise come the Castres game.
14+13 = 27 - out of a touring party of 43(?) would seem to confirm reports re the very high transmissibility of omicron. We can only hope the indications, that this new variant is considerably milder than the previous ones, turn out to be true. Doctor John Campbell, whose daily covid updates on YouTube are pretty good, IMO, estimates, that with the numbers infected doubling every two days the whole world will have caught the thing by next spring.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

“They’re going to win 100%, I have no doubt about it,” said Holland. “I might not even know some of the names on the bench. I have full faith in them that they are going to turn up and wear their hearts on their sleeves.

“It’s going to be one of Munster’s greatest ever wins. Backs to the wall is an understatement. I have absolutely no doubt they’re going to rock up and they’re going to win.”
https://www.the42.ie/billy-holland-muns ... 1-Dec2021/

Such a load of cr@p spouted this week.

Literally every pundit is tipping Munster to win and yet it will be a 'miracle', 'magic' and 'one of Munster's greatest ever wins'.

Give me a break.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Schroedinger's Munster - Both massive underdogs / totally written off AND backed to win by almost every pundit.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: December 10th, 2021, 8:46 am Schroedinger's Munster - Both massive underdogs / totally written off AND backed to win by almost every pundit.
Sorry Wixfjord, i'm gonna have to steal that and claim it as my own :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: December 10th, 2021, 8:42 am
“They’re going to win 100%, I have no doubt about it,” said Holland. “I might not even know some of the names on the bench. I have full faith in them that they are going to turn up and wear their hearts on their sleeves.

“It’s going to be one of Munster’s greatest ever wins. Backs to the wall is an understatement. I have absolutely no doubt they’re going to rock up and they’re going to win.”
https://www.the42.ie/billy-holland-muns ... 1-Dec2021/

Such a load of cr@p spouted this week.

Literally every pundit is tipping Munster to win and yet it will be a 'miracle', 'magic' and 'one of Munster's greatest ever wins'.

Give me a break.
Holland also said this:

Code: Select all

Steve is the best attack coach I have played under, from an individual’s point of view. I was at Munster for 14 years and he is the first person who is really teaching forwards how to run lines, really teaching forwards how to pass the ball, be on the ball, use their skills
What!? Just what.

I mean I kinda knew this based on how they play, but this is still outrageous. If nothing else his dad was a coach.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

munster#1 wrote: December 9th, 2021, 9:17 am
paddyor wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:15 pm ONly 18k tickets sold for the Castres game. Would explain some of the frenzy about the incoming "miracle" IMO.

I think the most recent increase in Covid case numbers along with the fear of the new variant has had an affect on ticket sales.

I know a few people who rarely, if ever miss a game, who have stated that they are not going for fear that they will catch Covid so close to Christmas.

I would expect ticket sales to go over the 20k mark.
Which comparatively speaking, is a good number.
Ironically, I heard on the radio this morning that only 30k tickets have been sold for Leinster’s match with Bath.

Looks like both provinces are feeling the knock on from Covid.