Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

John23
Enlightened

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by John23 »

I was keeping an eye on the golf. The Joburg Open currently in progress. A number of Irish and UK players have bailed mid tournament
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Probably too late to do anything about this weeks game, but I would hope that URC are looking at the possibility of moving the second match to Europe to avoid the potential of Munster and the South African teams getting locked out of upcoming games due to a need to quarantine.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

On the human / societal side it's clearly the right decision to fly home immediately.

On the rugby side, it's probably not a good thing for Munster to go into HEC having not played for almost two months you'd think?
Although having everyone in situ (including Ireland guys) for two weeks from next Monday and training together might actually be a benefit.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Confirmed that the game will be postponed.

I really hoped that this season would be different to last.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pr ... 90117.html
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

"The URC hopes to reschedule the games for later in the season, with the Six Nations window potentially offering a solution."

Perfect timing for "Munster" if you think about it.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Rotten timing. 3 days later and they would have played 1 match.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

deco wrote: November 26th, 2021, 2:21 pm "The URC hopes to reschedule the games for later in the season, with the Six Nations window potentially offering a solution."

Perfect timing for "Munster" if you think about it.
No it's just sh!t all ways for everyone.

I feel for the players and staff and hope it works out for them safely.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

So the latest on Munster's RSA odyssey is, that they're decamping from Pretoria to Cape Town, in order to get home from there and because maybe there's less omicron floating around down there compared to the province of Gauteng.

To document this latest development they sent out the following tweet:

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status ... 66570?s=20

It shows them lining up to board the plane at the (J'burg?) airport. Fun fact: two of the party are clearly not wearing their mask - indoors, in a building with a high people traffic in the current omicron hotspot of Gauteng. I ask myself, who is the bigger idiot - the dudes wearing their masks around their necks or the person, who sent out the photograph, so the world can see this? Health and safety, how are ya?........................
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:01 pm So the latest on Munster's RSA odyssey is, that they're decamping from Pretoria to Cape Town, in order to get home from there and because maybe there's less omicron floating around down there compared to the province of Gauteng.

It shows them lining up to board the plane at the (J'burg?) airport. Fun fact: two of the party are clearly not wearing their mask - indoors, in a building with a high people traffic in the current omicron hotspot of Gauteng. I ask myself, who is the bigger idiot - the dudes wearing their masks around their necks or the person, who sent out the photograph, so the world can see this? Health and safety, how are ya?........................
Kendellen is clearly eating.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

dropkick wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:11 pm
riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:01 pm So the latest on Munster's RSA odyssey is, that they're decamping from Pretoria to Cape Town, in order to get home from there and because maybe there's less omicron floating around down there compared to the province of Gauteng.

Cos keeping his vitamin levels up is more important than not catching the latest covid variant and perhaps passing it on to his teammates and members of Munster staff? Brain-****ing-dead, IMO.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:14 pm
dropkick wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Cos keeping his vitamin levels up is more important than not catching the latest covid variant and perhaps passing it on to his teammates and members of Munster staff? Brain-****ing-dead, IMO.

No but how much sacrifices do we have to make? You can't eat if you're hungry? A bit OTT imo.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

"A bit OTT"? Sorry, but I'm old school. When I was growing up people didn't feel it necessary to carry water bottles around the place in case of sudden dehydration, didn't drink in cars, didn't eat smelly sambos or baps in public transport, but rather waited until they got home or went in to a restaurant to sit down to eat. Eating used to be primarily a social activity, back in the day... Plus it's not a "human right" that one should be able to still one's hunger, the moment one feels the slightest pang. And that's before we even get into the whole issue of deliberately ignoring all the public health advice as to how to protect oneself and others from infection by an airborne virus nearly two years into a world-wide pandemic.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:33 pm "A bit OTT"? Sorry, but I'm old school. When I was growing up people didn't feel it necessary to carry water bottles around the place in case of sudden dehydration, didn't drink in cars, didn't eat smelly sambos or baps in public transport, but rather waited until they got home or went in to a restaurant to sit down to eat. Eating used to be primarily a social activity, back in the day... Plus it's not a "human right" that one should be able to still one's hunger, the moment one feels the slightest pang. And that's before we even get into the whole issue of deliberately ignoring all the public health advice as to how to protect oneself and others from infection by an airborne virus nearly two years into a world-wide pandemic.
Check your privilege
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: November 27th, 2021, 5:37 pm
riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:33 pm "A bit OTT"? Sorry, but I'm old school. When I was growing up people didn't feel it necessary to carry water bottles around the place in case of sudden dehydration, didn't drink in cars, didn't eat smelly sambos or baps in public transport, but rather waited until they got home or went in to a restaurant to sit down to eat. Eating used to be primarily a social activity, back in the day... Plus it's not a "human right" that one should be able to still one's hunger, the moment one feels the slightest pang. And that's before we even get into the whole issue of deliberately ignoring all the public health advice as to how to protect oneself and others from infection by an airborne virus nearly two years into a world-wide pandemic.
Check your privilege
Don't be so dismissive. If you have a different opinion, then articulate it. But if you couldn't be bothered going to the trouble, then spare me the "Ok, boomer" attitude.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Latest update re Munster: Their flight was supposed to be picking up the Scarlets squad on the way to Cape Town, where both Cardiff and Zebre seemingly are already based. The plan is, that all four squads travel back together to the UK on the plane the Welsh had chartered. For that clearance is required from the British aviation authorities, which they're hoping to get tomorrow. Good luck and fair play to them all for looking after each other!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 6:06 pm
Check your privilege
Don't be so dismissive. If you have a different opinion, then articulate it. But if you couldn't be bothered going to the trouble, then spare me the "Ok, boomer" attitude.
fair enough, the smart thing to do would be to maintain mask discipline but you have to admit there is at least bit of old man shouts at cloud going on here, no?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 7:19 pm Latest update re Munster: Their flight was supposed to be picking up the Scarlets squad on the way to Cape Town, where both Cardiff and Zebre seemingly are already based. The plan is, that all four squads travel back together to the UK on the plane the Welsh had chartered. For that clearance is required from the British aviation authorities, which they're hoping to get tomorrow. Good luck and fair play to them all for looking after each other!
that's great news, hope all get home safely
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 6:06 pm
Check your privilege
The Munster squad are trapped on the wrong side of the world scrambling to get home with a travel ban. An academy player was photographed in the airport eating something while apparently queuing. In those situations people could be queuing for many hours and it's a stressful and tiring experience. They're likely to spend days travelling. Days.

Players are elite athletes who have to watch what they eat carefully and have very different dietary requirements including elevated calorie counts. While they might be able to bear not eating they may need the calories to maintain performance/weight.

Eating as primarily a social activity is fine if you're Marie Antoinette, and congrats on all the good fortune in your life. Not everyone even has enough to eat.

I hope they all get home soon and that they don't suffer too much additional stress from social media trolls nitpicking from their ivory towers.

I'd hoped you would have re-evaluated your point without having it spelt out, I'm fortunate to have time to post here occasionally, but people shouldn't have to write long posts just for your ego.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

My "ego"? All the points you make are valid, but could you not have refrained from putting a dig in at the end? IMO, that was unnecessary. I only went off on a Victor Meldrew originally in reply to the suggestion, that the Munster players were eating and that is somehow allowed or acceptable. If one looks at the picture closely one can see the unmasked player on the left, if he is eating anything, then it's his mobile phone. The Munster, Zebre, Cardiff and Scarlets players have my fullest sympathy in the face of what they are having to get through at the moment. But not wearing one's mask off in high covid-risk zone such as an airport terminal, thereby ignoring all the medical advice, is taking one's eye off the ball and letting the side down. One isn't taking the the situation seriously. Personally, I don't quite understand, where the suggestion, that I should "check" my "privilege" comes from. You have no idea, what my situation is, other than I'm perhaps older than the members of the Munster travelling party. Those Munster players were coming from a hotel, where they had probably had a meal before they headed off, and on their way to another hotel, where most likely another feed awaited them. I don't think it's too much too expect each member of the squad to keep a mask on while they're indoors in an airport terminal. It's not as if they'd just been airlifted out of Yemen. But then again maybe its just me, my age, my ego, whatever. I apologise, if my taking umbrage at the photo was OTT. No worries, I've one foot in the grave already...
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I don’t know you or even whether you’re older than me. I certainly wasn’t having a go at you over it. I was responding about the things you said and the way that you said them.

It’s an intensely frustrating time for a lot of people and I’ve seen some people very down about the way that delta took away our hope of eliminating/controlling Covid and now there’s a scary new variant. It’s not helpful to be antagonistic on an inter generational basis and I saw it as you punching down.