Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:25 pm That's a great signing for Munster imo. Seemingly co-funded with IRFU too.

Not sure he's 100% needed, but if he's motivated he'll definitely add to the 23.

I do wonder is it an addition in the wrong place though? Surely other parts of the squad need improving first you'd think?
Agreed on the first bit, I thought I was the only (non Munster) one!

I think he's quality and will be first choice. If there was any money going spare then I'd definitely have spent it on the front row but once he was available they were right to want him IMO.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Apart from the fact that he will genuinely improve them, and the IRFU are interested in him being home, he's a big commercial draw, particularly when the crowds come back. I believe that his try scoring record is under threat from Earls so I think he'll be motivated.

Sure, our most recent signing is the one they needed most out of their two and ours but we haven't seen where the shenanigans fall yet.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:51 pm Apart from the fact that he will genuinely improve them, and the IRFU are interested in him being home, he's a big commercial draw, particularly when the crowds come back. I believe that his try scoring record is under threat from Earls so I think he'll be motivated.

Sure, our most recent signing is the one they needed most out of their two and ours but we haven't seen where the shenanigans fall yet.
As well as needing a TH I think they need to cut the two first choice guys they've got. Okay they might need them for depth but having a better TH for the short term and then being forced to play Knox and Salanoa and having someone to help develop them would make them much better off.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Good player,but a step backwards for a "developing" squad. That's now big acquisitions of Haley, Gallagher and now Zebo in consecutive years.

Still picking players because they're available and a good deal (IRFU help) rather than because they are building a balanced or sustainable squad. And the IRFU helping them to dig a hole, again.

Munster are moving on Wootton (Pro14 dream team) and Sweetman (immediately picked up by La Rochelle), so there's a direct impact in terms of medium term squad: Munster will need to sign a replacement for Zebo eventually because they've burned the next generation.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Plenty of money floating around Irish rugby. Good to see.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:55 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:51 pm Apart from the fact that he will genuinely improve them, and the IRFU are interested in him being home, he's a big commercial draw, particularly when the crowds come back. I believe that his try scoring record is under threat from Earls so I think he'll be motivated.

As well as needing a TH I think they need to cut the two first choice guys they've got. Okay they might need them for depth but having a better TH for the short term and then being forced to play Knox and Salanoa and having someone to help develop them would make them much better off.
I read both are signed till 22 so it makes sense if the IRFU didn't let them sign a TH as they signed Knox and Salanoa on Irish development pathways.

Sign a big name there and there would be no game time for the young ones.

I think someone should start a rumour that they tried and his agent was knocking about Dublin and Leinster swooped in when the IRFU said no....
lotmc
Learner

Post by lotmc »

The prodigal son is returning, but looks like he has already eaten the fatted calf.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

lotmc wrote: April 14th, 2021, 3:19 pm The prodigal son is returning, but looks like he has already eaten the fatted calf.
:clap:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by fourthirtythree

I read both are signed till 22 so it makes sense if the IRFU didn't let them sign a TH as they signed Knox and Salanoa on Irish development pathways.
Sign a hooker or a loosehead then. Kilcoyne is not young and injury prone and Wycherly and Loughman are decent but not international class. Marshall is also meant to be moving on so they could bring someone in to replace him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 14th, 2021, 3:35 pm
by fourthirtythree

Sign a hooker or a loosehead then. Kilcoyne is not young and injury prone and Wycherly and Loughman are decent but not international class. Marshall is also meant to be moving on so they could bring someone in to replace him.
I'm sure Dan Sheehan will be approached over the summer.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

ronk wrote: April 14th, 2021, 2:27 pm Good player,but a step backwards for a "developing" squad. That's now big acquisitions of Haley, Gallagher and now Zebo in consecutive years.

Still picking players because they're available and a good deal (IRFU help) rather than because they are building a balanced or sustainable squad. And the IRFU helping them to dig a hole, again.

Munster are moving on Wootton (Pro14 dream team) and Sweetman (immediately picked up by La Rochelle), so there's a direct impact in terms of medium term squad: Munster will need to sign a replacement for Zebo eventually because they've burned the next generation.
Good point.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: April 14th, 2021, 2:27 pm Good player,but a step backwards for a "developing" squad. That's now big acquisitions of Haley, Gallagher and now Zebo in consecutive years.

+1. Totally agree. Good marketing; crazy rugby management.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

lotmc wrote: April 14th, 2021, 3:19 pm The prodigal son is returning, but looks like he has already eaten the fatted calf.
In a surprise development he's joining the Front Row Union; it's no longer the preserve of the schools winger who puts on a few lbs and decide to make a go of being a J3 prop in his 30s
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

With all the talk of Porter moving onto the Loosehead side, maybe Zebo can go Tighthead?

Get your best players on the pitch, right. And god knows he’d be better than Archer
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:47 pm

+1. Totally agree. Good marketing; crazy rugby management.
Please explain how the re-signing of one of the best Munster products, who is one of the top try scorers in the HC, which is the highest level he can play for Munster, along with being the top try scorer for Munster despite his 3 year absence, could be viewed as crazy rugby management.

IMO Zebo walks straight into the Munster starting team either on the wing or fullback, and could remain as first choice for the next 3 seasons.
Neither Wooton or Seeetnam fit into that category.
Add to that the fact that the IRFU are part funding the signing. To me that is great rugby management.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Anyone else pissed off that this is co funded by IRFU? They laid off 20 people but have cash for a luxury dubious conditioned winger?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Just because the IRFU are helping, doesn't mean it’s free. Other parts of Irish rugby are losing out.

Short term he’s a boost, so if you don’t look beyond the next season or two and you don’t care about sustainable finances (for Munster or for the drag they are on the IRFU) then sure, what’s the problem.

But at a time when Munster have their best crop of young players in years and actually need them, they are doubling down on older players and expensive recruits.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I read somewhere that some of Standers money has been re-directed toward zebo.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The return of Project Maldini!
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

the spoofer wrote: April 15th, 2021, 8:55 am Anyone else pissed off that this is co funded by IRFU? They laid off 20 people but have cash for a luxury dubious conditioned winger?
Why are you pissed off?
The IRFU would be foolish not to want a player of Zebo’s talent available, even if we were not fast approaching a World Cup where our only established first choice winger may not be around come 2023.

Whether you like Zebo as a person or not, his ability and talent as a player is undoubtable.

Edit: To me this is not a luxury signing, and I do feel for the people who have lost their jobs.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.