Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by wixfjord »

Pretty bad way to end things for CJ overall.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: June 9th, 2021, 3:49 pm Pretty bad way to end things for CJ overall.
Yes, a bummer for him. I don't see that there is any way that he will be able to play having suffered petrol burns last weekend. In fairness, he had a good last outing in Thomond Park.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote: June 9th, 2021, 5:00 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 9th, 2021, 3:49 pm Pretty bad way to end things for CJ overall.
Yes, a bummer for him. I don't see that there is any way that he will be able to play having suffered petrol burns last weekend. In fairness, he had a good last outing in Thomond Park.
it's a dead rubber so maybe he won't be too upset, might even manage to get an early flight home.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So that's it then, another season without a trophy. 10 consecutive seasons trophyless. :cry
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

'Siri, what does a Johann Van Grann selection look like?'

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Billy Holland, Nick McCarthy, Jake Flannery, Chris Cloete.

Laughable. A f%~king 6/2 split and that front row starting in a dead rubber against Zebre!
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

I must say as a selection it’s fairly mind boggling. More than a little unimpressed with the lack of game time the younger props have gotten during rainbow cup. Anyone can see archer and Ryan aren’t the top level answer. We should be actively promoting knox and salanoa.

Why not start Ahern?!
What we hope to learn about Pom ive no idea.

I get the rainbow cup is a cash cow but with the ospreys covid situation I thought this weekend was an ideal chance.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That’s nuts. I’ve been complaining about this for ages but this takes the biscuit in light of the news this week.

Really don’t see how they improve next season, it looks like they don’t even want to try.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Is Josh Wycherley still injured?

And what did Knox do? Surely he's been around long enough.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 10th, 2021, 2:48 pm Is Josh Wycherley still injured?

Thought Knox was quite good when he came on last week. He reminds me a lot of Mike Ross, just a very solid prop who can come up with the odd big moment. I know all young props need games but I’d be very confident that he’d be the type to improve a lot if he got them.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 10th, 2021, 2:48 pm Is Josh Wycherley still injured?

Pretty sure he featured in their match against the Ireland U-20's last week.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2021, 1:41 pm 'Siri, what does a Johann Van Grann selection look like?'

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Billy Holland, Nick McCarthy, Jake Flannery, Chris Cloete.

Laughable. A f%~king 6/2 split and that front row starting in a dead rubber against Zebre!
You're spot on – such a typical JVG selection. At this stage, after essentially four seasons on the job, it's pretty apparent that it's an organisation going nowhere with him as head coach ... and to be frank, given the age profile of the team and the minimal return on academy investment, a team in decline.

That doesn't mean that he's a useless pr!*k, or that he's a bad coach – he seems like he's a decent guy and he might have some success with another side later in his career. But he will be going into his contract negotiations in November with nothing tangible to show for four years in charge. This season was a big opportunity for them and they couldn't get over the line.

This has been a four year period where the team has won nothing; has produced very, very few players for the national side; has bought in more players from outside Munster from ever before; and has failed to progress anything like enough young players to offset the three factors above.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I really don’t think he has a plan for next season beyond hoping Snyman transforms the pack and Joey can stay fit and do the same with the backs.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some serious outrage on here.

Looking at the selection logically, one would have to assume that this team was picked prior to Treviso being given a walkover.

This is a team selected to go out and pick up a BP win, and have likely been building for this game over the last 2 weeks given Munster’s week off.

Not the team that I would select for this dead rubber, but it is understandable that Munster wouldn’t suddenly change the team having already prepped for the game.

I am looking forward to seeing what Casey and Flannery can do together. Hopefully Casey gets the full 80, as there’s not much benefit in playing McCarty at this stage.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yes I for one am outraged that one of our main rivals continue to make really poor selections that fail to develop players in positions they're clearly understrength!

I suppose though this selection does show how seriously Munster are taking this competition though. There's no confusion now as to Munster's intentions in the Rainbow Cup!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

munster#1 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 11:24 am

Hopefully Casey gets the full 80, as there’s not much benefit in playing McCarty at this stage.
Well...yes...that’s kind of the point of the criticism about the entire selection.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:05 pm
munster#1 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 11:24 am

Hopefully Casey gets the full 80, as there’s not much benefit in playing McCarty at this stage.
Well...yes...that’s kind of the point of the criticism about the entire selection.
In fairness, Munster had to select McCarty, as they have no other scrum half.

With regards to the wider selection, as already stated, it is highly likely that Munster had this team picked prior to the decision to award Treviso the victory.

Given the relative short notice, it can not be a surprise that the team was not changed post the decision.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

25 minutes left in a dead rubber game, Munster 35-6 up.

John Ryan, Niall Scannell & Dave Kilcoyne still soldiering on.

I mean...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:25 minutes left in a dead rubber game, Munster 35-6 up.

I mean...
Did they come off exactly the moment you hit send? Image
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 11th, 2021, 7:23 pm
wixfjord wrote:25 minutes left in a dead rubber game, Munster 35-6 up.

I mean...
Did they come off exactly the moment you hit send? Image
Yes! These 25 mins will make the world of difference now.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Sods law that
I have Bumbleflex