Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by JB1973 »

Munster are imo the second best team in the pro 14 and I'd put them in the top ten in Europe

Leinster current domestic run is bordering on incredible (1 loss in 2 seasons?) and is pretty much unrivalled in top flight rugby

There is no disgrace in being runners up to you guys

Munster will fancy their chances at home against anyone including Toulouse, although the lack of a crowd will clearly aid the chances of a tolouse victory , it's still very much a 50/50 game and one I am looking forward to watching

A big game from the likes of murray and beirne could go a long way towards getting a lions starting spot
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

JB1973 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 2:10 pm Munster are imo the second best team in the pro 14 and I'd put them in the top ten in Europe

Leinster current domestic run is bordering on incredible (1 loss in 2 seasons?) and is pretty much unrivalled in top flight rugby

There is no disgrace in being runners up to you guys

Munster will fancy their chances at home against anyone including Toulouse, although the lack of a crowd will clearly aid the chances of a tolouse victory , it's still very much a 50/50 game and one I am looking forward to watching

A big game from the likes of murray and beirne could go a long way towards getting a lions starting spot
2 losses - Connacht and Ospreys.

plus the loss to saracens, which colours everything.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

blockhead wrote: March 31st, 2021, 2:07 pm Munster made the media look like fools on Saturday.
This is exactly it. This is why they are getting over the top negative press this week. They all backed them and Munster proved them wrong and the one thing these egos hate being is wrong.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sugary tae wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:38 pm Just my two cents but I think this weeks furore (and next week baring a miracle ) are evidence of the fanbase really losing patience. It’s covering over short comings and frankly if ever there was a moment for a coach to say we didn’t perform or fire a shot Saturday was it

The jenkings signing might not be the worst in the world if they intelligently manage it and ensure that he eats rg/kleyns minutes (keeping them fresher) rather than Ahern and Wycherley.
I’ve no issue with seeing JJ sweetnam and possibly cronin heading off. Squad needs freshening up and I think there’s young guys in those positions who need minutes. Spending their wages on jenkings isn’t equitable.

Looking further down the line though I think the thing that hurts most is the lack of progression on game plan. Whatever about not seeing some movez (tm) in end of season finals we haven’t seen them at any stage. If you live with us physically, which Leinster do for fun, we are just not a threat. Jvg also chose poorly in his selection for Saturday. Conway hasn’t been seen all year and wasn’t remotely sharp enough. Similarly why we didn’t pick Ahern and salanoa/Knox for carrying ability in the final stages I don’t get. Every match between us tends to be tight (even when you beat us out the gate like Saturday) so picking guys who might punch holes in the final 10 mins should be a priority. I despair
Conway was rusty? What about Carbery! At least he didn’t get injured.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

munster#1 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:19 am Munster make the final of the Pro14 with ease, and are one of 2 provinces to still be in Europe’s premier competition due to winning 100% of their games, which also awards them with a coveted home match...
Munster have a very good record in comparison to most teams, and the fact that they generate such a response from their recent loss to one of Europe’s best teams, would suggest that most media outlets and rugby fans believe that they are still a very good team.

Munster are by no means perfect, and when you compare them against Leinster, they are poor...
This is what Larkham should be saying.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

hugonaut wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:56 pm
ronk wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:43 pm Strange that the media are putting the boot in right now. Have they forgotten that this weekend is the most important for Munster’s season?

There are problems, but the focus should be on right now. Unfortunately the coaching team deserve some of the blame for looking backwards in interviews.

There are still 2 trophies in play.
Absolutely. They could have some real fire in their bellies and go out and knock over Toulouse. They're well capable of it. They have lots of quality in that team – multiple Lions, multiple Grand Slam winners, 50+ cap internationals, a World Cup winner etc. Again, they've won 16/19 matches this season.

I think that they're getting a bit of a kicking now because a] they didn't put in a strong performance in the final and b] everyone in the country is cranky, short-tempered and prone to whinging at the moment after 12months + of isolation from wider society. I know I am!
Better when they're bitter. Backs really against the wall now, Larkham will be pointing to the media, the new signings and telling the young lads to prove them wrong and go out and tear Toulouse a new one.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Peg Leg wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:33 pm
munster#1 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:19 am Munster make the final of the Pro14 with ease, and are one of 2 provinces to still be in Europe’s premier competition due to winning 100% of their games, which also awards them with a coveted home match...
Munster have a very good record in comparison to most teams, and the fact that they generate such a response from their recent loss to one of Europe’s best teams, would suggest that most media outlets and rugby fans believe that they are still a very good team.

Munster are by no means perfect, and when you compare them against Leinster, they are poor...
This is what Larkham should be saying.
To be fair to Larkham, most post/pre match interviews are so beige these days that it is hard to actually take anything from them.

It is rare that you get a genuine opinion or response from an interviewee.

I haven’t seen or heard the full interview. Was what he said in context with a certain question? Did he give anything else away that journalists are not printing?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Peg Leg wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:38 pm
hugonaut wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:56 pm
ronk wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:43 pm Strange that the media are putting the boot in right now. Have they forgotten that this weekend is the most important for Munster’s season?

There are problems, but the focus should be on right now. Unfortunately the coaching team deserve some of the blame for looking backwards in interviews.

Absolutely. They could have some real fire in their bellies and go out and knock over Toulouse. They're well capable of it. They have lots of quality in that team – multiple Lions, multiple Grand Slam winners, 50+ cap internationals, a World Cup winner etc. Again, they've won 16/19 matches this season.

I think that they're getting a bit of a kicking now because a] they didn't put in a strong performance in the final and b] everyone in the country is cranky, short-tempered and prone to whinging at the moment after 12months + of isolation from wider society. I know I am!
Better when they're bitter. Backs really against the wall now, Larkham will be pointing to the media, the new signings and telling the young lads to prove them wrong and go out and tear Toulouse a new one.
I hope that the team do not need anything published in the media to motivate them for this game.
If that is what Larkham tries to draw inspiration from then I will pack his bags for him.

This will be a very difficult match for Munster to win, Toulouse are in great form, and are stacked with brilliant and exciting players.
I doubt that many will be expecting Munster to win this game.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I mentioned on the leinster vs toloun thread, leinster could do with dry weather and fast track

Munster really could do with a howling wind and sleet and rain for this game

With the likes of DuPont ntmack and Kolbe you really don't want them with their sun on the backs and both teams playing end to end rugby .
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:21 pm
munster#1 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:19 pm

I never claimed it was Alanis, but isn’t it ironic?

You say “witch hunt me hole” and then you go on to talk about some fairytale alternative universe, listing things that Munster should have done.

I’m sure that this will be lost on you, and is really a nonversation as the cool kids would call it, but I do find it funny.

So where specifically is the irony there?

Why is it ironic to say Munster have engaged in a communications strategy that has caused them more problems and to illustrate what they could've done instead?
I think there’s some irony here https://www.the42.ie/jenkins-munster-ah ... 8-Mar2021/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

"When you have lost people like Billy Holland and CJ Stander and there is a gap in the squad, for me, as a Munster man, I would always prefer to plough these blocks with homegrown talent, the likes of Thomas Aherne, Paddy Kelly, Cian Hurley, they are quality players that are coming in," he told 2fm’s Game On.

"You can understand why you would want quality players around the place. I know he was highly sought after from the Blue Bulls. He has been playing in Japan, which has improved. Normally players in Japan were cashing in, but that league is an awful lot better.

"I would honestly prefer if we had one of our own guys plugging the gap, but that’s on the coaching ticket. If they feel like they need extra players from outside, I can understand it with CJ and Billy going, there is merit in it from that side, but players signing for one-year deals?

"I would rather one of our younger fellas given the chance to fill that space. It’s tough to take as a supporter."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/033 ... -approach/
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

ronk wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:31 pm
I think there’s some irony here https://www.the42.ie/jenkins-munster-ah ... 8-Mar2021/
I couldn’t quite believe that one, we are told he’s being signed as a 6 and then are told the lads this gnarly, grisly, experienced 25 year old will help most are two young second rows. :mullet 1:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

OTT wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:09 am
I couldn’t quite believe that one, we are told he’s being signed as a 6 and then are told the lads this gnarly, grisly, experienced 25 year old will help most are two young second rows. :mullet 1:
Not justifying the signing here, as I have already said, I would have fathered that Munster signed a front row, as this seems to be a luxury signing, but isn’t this similar to Fardy?

If memory serves me correctly, wasn’t he signed as a lock because Leinster were already over stocked in the backrow, and in his first season he went and started at 6 in the HC.

Claims like that appear to be lip service, and like with Fardy, I would take claims that he is coming as a 6 with a pinch of salt.

On a more positive note. With the likely departure of Fardy, Cronin and Bent the list of non home grown talent at Leinster is greatly reduced and they are taking the admirable route of replacing internally.
Massive credit has to go to Leinster for this, not that long ago the Leinster squad was in a similar position to Munster’s regarding the number of non homegrown players, but today they lead the way with player development.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Munster Rugby can confirm that Cian Hurley and Conor Phillips have been contracted to the Greencore Munster Rugby Academy.

On the injury front, Eoin O’Connor (knee), John Hodnett (achilles) and James French (hamstring) are continuing to rehab their injuries.

Josh Wycherley has also been sidelined with a short-term neck injury and is progressing well.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/04/...te-april-2021/
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

munster#1 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:34 am
Not justifying the signing here, as I have already said, I would have fathered that Munster signed a front row, as this seems to be a luxury signing, but isn’t this similar to Fardy?

If memory serves me correctly, wasn’t he signed as a lock because Leinster were already over stocked in the backrow, and in his first season he went and started at 6 in the HC.

Claims like that appear to be lip service, and like with Fardy, I would take claims that he is coming as a 6 with a pinch of salt.

On a more positive note. With the likely departure of Fardy, Cronin and Bent the list of non home grown talent at Leinster is greatly reduced and they are taking the admirable route of replacing internally.
Massive credit has to go to Leinster for this, not that long ago the Leinster squad was in a similar position to Munster’s regarding the number of non homegrown players, but today they lead the way with player development.
To be honest with you I don’t really care that they are signing this Jenkins lad and that wasn’t really my point, the nonsense they are talking is what is hilarious from the outside, I much rather it (the signing) than the idea of Baird or someone being shifted from Leinster (not saying that was ever on the cards but I don’t count my chickens anymore till Leinster do their full squad announcement for the next season).

But really do Munster need this guy? Is he that finished an article at his age that he will help Munster win something? Time will tell. I could see the PSDT signing as being a much better short term fix than this one (again you’d have to question Nucifora’s decision making here), a World Cup winning, world class signing for a year and then he would be gone like Rocky was for us, I actually feel like they are spinning the lines out about Jenkins that would have been true of PSDT. What they are doing now is likely going to end up playing a young guy who isn’t world class over a younger Irish guy who might end up being world class and kicking the can down the road. That is the good outcome, the bad outcome will be that Munster do a Munster and this guy is not here for just one year he will be here a lot longer. Either way Tom Aherne will make it somewhere sooner than later, the guy is absolutely top notch from what I’ve seen (for Irish U20s and Munster) , Ulster should try and get him, he would walk into their team right now.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: March 31st, 2021, 2:07 pm

Munster made the media look like fools on Saturday.
That was the easy bit. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

OTT wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:24 pm

To be honest with you I don’t really care that they are signing this Jenkins lad and that wasn’t really my point, the nonsense they are talking is what is hilarious from the outside, I much rather it (the signing) than the idea of Baird or someone being shifted from Leinster (not saying that was ever on the cards but I don’t count my chickens anymore till Leinster do their full squad announcement for the next season).

But really do Munster need this guy? Is he that finished an article at his age that he will help Munster win something? Time will tell. I could see the PSDT signing as being a much better short term fix than this one (again you’d have to question Nucifora’s decision making here), a World Cup winning, world class signing for a year and then he would be gone like Rocky was for us, I actually feel like they are spinning the lines out about Jenkins that would have been true of PSDT. What they are doing now is likely going to end up playing a young guy who isn’t world class over a younger Irish guy who might end up being world class and kicking the can down the road. That is the good outcome, the bad outcome will be that Munster do a Munster and this guy is not here for just one year he will be here a lot longer. Either way Tom Aherne will make it somewhere sooner than later, the guy is absolutely top notch from what I’ve seen (for Irish U20s and Munster) , Ulster should try and get him, he would walk into their team right now.
I think we are in agreement on everything.

The IRFU decision makes no sense at all.
Blocking a player who would have been a massive addition, and based on the Leinster game, is much needed, who would have had his salary paid by a third party. And then allowing this signing, who I would be surprised if his wages are paid by anyone other than Munster, is a decision based on optics only, and a poor one IMO.

With regards to comments coming from Munster, I don’t think it is any secret that each province engages in meaningless lip service.
Jenkins will play second row, and IMO he will be a great addition, just not a required one.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I think we are in agreement on everything.

The IRFU decision makes no sense at all.
Blocking a player who would have been a massive addition, and based on the Leinster game, is much needed, who would have had his salary paid by a third party. And then allowing this signing, who I would be surprised if his wages are paid by anyone other than Munster, is a decision based on optics only, and a poor one IMO.

With regards to comments coming from Munster, I don’t think it is any secret that each province engages in meaningless lip service.
Jenkins will play second row, and IMO he will be a great addition, just not a required one.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

If I were a Munster fan, I'd be disgusted that the IRFU blocked the du Toit signing. He's arguably the best player in the world and would add hugely to any team. Total lunacy to block the signing (especially when it's being funded by private money), and then allow the Jenkins one, a journeyman by comparison. In recent years, the IRFU have indulged Munster in too many foreign signings, including the various medical jokers, but du Toit was surely a no-brainer to permit when it was being privately funded.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Rocky was a 2 year signing, with a get out option at 1 year. He came in 2008, so very different times from now.

He also was coming in to fill a gap. Munster have Ireland’s first choice 6 right now, whether that’s POM or Beirne.