Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by cormac »

As daft as you'll ever see from Jack O'Donoghue
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

That was unbelievably stupid from Jack O'Donoghue. It didn't even look like Papalii did anything to rev him up, just pushed/shook him off his leg
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

They don’t give Killer leading with the elbow on the captains challenge but Neville intervenes to give Munster a last roll of the dice with a no arms tackle call when he clearly tried to wrap. Strange.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Munster 20 Connacht 24 FT
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:51 pm They don’t give Killer leading with the elbow on the captains challenge but Neville intervenes to give Munster a last roll of the dice with a no arms tackle call when he clearly tried to wrap. Strange.
Think the law is an ass there. It’s clearly very dangerous but because there’s no separation he got away with it.

Came on to say that JOD is a serious cheap shot merchant and I wasn’t even thinking of the try he prevented for Munster. Some very dodgy clearouts where he flew in and I’m certain he connected with Blade’s head twice in quick succession.

Murray, Prendergast, and SOB heroic for Connacht, they were exceptional.

Very embarrassing for Munster though. Imagine taking this comp so seriously and blowing it like that? They were rubbish.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:54 pm
OTT wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:51 pm They don’t give Killer leading with the elbow on the captains challenge but Neville intervenes to give Munster a last roll of the dice with a no arms tackle call when he clearly tried to wrap. Strange.
Think the law is an ass there. It’s clearly very dangerous but because there’s no separation he got away with it.

Came on to say that JOD is a serious cheap shot merchant and I wasn’t even thinking of the try he prevented for Munster. Some very dodgy clearouts where he flew in and I’m certain he connected with Blade’s head twice in quick succession.

Very embarrassing for Munster though. Imagine taking this comp so seriously and blowing it like that? They were rubbish.
Yes thought the same about JOD. In the phase of play after Porch knocked on in midfield. Right in front of the ref too, I'm surprised he didn't ask the TMO to check it
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I should have mentioned Daly too. A guy who I didn’t think would make it but he’s been brilliant recently and to captain them to that victory is a brilliant achievement.

The officials really didn’t have control of that game. Players need to take responsibility too but the breakdown was a free for all for the whole game and there were enough serious incidents that he could have shown more cards to calm it down.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:54 pm

100% agree with you on JOD, it’s a bit sad actually, he seems to be encouraged to do it. Along with the clear outs he took Wooton out when he followed up after Murray’s kick over the try line, he knew exactly what he was doing and he missed with his knees so caught him with his hands. I thought he was an extremely unlucky player in that he probably deserved to play more over the last few years and usually missed out to favourites, maybe seeing Coombes come in and jump him in the queue has made him rethink how he plays and he just does the sh!t POM and Archer and the like get rewarded for.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I didn't see this game TBH, but judging by the online reaction Munster were absolutely robbed by the Ref.
Can this be true?
Have Munster been "robbed by the ref" before?
They're usually such good losers.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Reading the comments today after the game I would be sweating it if I was Van Graan. This seems to be the tipping point for him and judging by the comments online the fans patience with him has come to an end. To lose a competition like this is embarrassing for him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:45 pm I didn't see this game TBH, but judging by the online reaction Munster were absolutely robbed by the Ref.
Can this be true?
They definitely weren't 'robbed' by the Ref, but might have been saved by local TMO Joy Neville - what an ill-advised appointment.

Game was well worth the watch and the Welsh Ref did very well to allow his judgement to determine the outcome. However, the organisers are really going to have to take disciplinary actions against Substitutes joining in the on-field affray before something serious occurs.

Broadly I agree with comments about JO'D who has become a 'hard man' verging on a dirty player in recent months.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

I thought substitutes were supposed to warm up behind the end they are attacking. Regularly see officials at AIL tell subs to turn around. With fourth officials and all thought it should be more manageable.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

blockhead wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:45 pm I didn't see this game TBH, but judging by the online reaction Munster were absolutely robbed by the Ref.
Can this be true?
A big, big whinge: https://www.otbsports.com/rugby/cj-stan ... 1621254865
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Pathetic stuff alright
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Very poor from Stander and Quinnie.
Both have stated, in so many words, that the ref was biased against them, wanted them to lose and deliberatley made on-field decisions to affect an outcome he desired because he is Anti-Munster!
Amazing stuff.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

If Munster want a scapegoat for the match there are a few closer to home. A good number of very poor and idiotic mistakes that had a massive impact on the scoreboard. And a couple of mishaps that allowed Connacht easily relieve the pressure.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I have time for CJ and Quinn but I just don't see the point in that. You can only come out looking bad.

Even if it's been daylight robbery you're better of just gritting your teeth, smiling and saying "the ref wasn't the decisive factor" (even if you feel he was).

Anything other then that is detrimental to everyone in your organization.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

“He was shocking; the referee was absolutely shocking… More shocking for Munster but shocking enough for Connacht at times as well.
“His whole attitude, decision making, positioning. Some of the decisions were terrible.”
“Look at it from an impartial point of view; some of the decisions were really baffling.”
"This is shocking, this is like this guy actually doesn’t like Munster.”
"it’s blatantly obvious that he’s getting decisions wrong"
"...but he was an issue. Let’s get that straight."
"I just think the referee was really poor"

I didn't listen to the podcast, nor will I listen to OTB, but did Quinny give examples of all these shocking/baffling/terrible/wrong/poor decisions?
The only one mentioned in the article is the hindmost foot, which we see in lots of (most?) games, and it's the responsibility of the assistant refs as much as the ref
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Laighin Break wrote: May 18th, 2021, 10:42 am “He was shocking; the referee was absolutely shocking… More shocking for Munster but shocking enough for Connacht at times as well.
“His whole attitude, decision making, positioning. Some of the decisions were terrible.”
“Look at it from an impartial point of view; some of the decisions were really baffling.”
"This is shocking, this is like this guy actually doesn’t like Munster.”
"it’s blatantly obvious that he’s getting decisions wrong"
"...but he was an issue. Let’s get that straight."
"I just think the referee was really poor"

I didn't listen to the podcast, nor will I listen to OTB, but did Quinny give examples of all these shocking/baffling/terrible/wrong/poor decisions?
The only one mentioned in the article is the hindmost foot, which we see in lots of (most?) games, and it's the responsibility of the assistant refs as much as the ref
Apart from the Hindmost foot, which he said was policed for Munster but not for Connacht, all he really specified was the Conway try and DDAs knock-on as part of that.
Which btw was really led by the TMO from start to finish. The TMO was never mentioned in his rant.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This is one of the weirdest weeks I can remember in terms of talking about refereeing decisions.

The ref in the Munster match wasn’t good but from what I saw he was in no way harsh on Munster compared to Connacht.

The knock on call is a particularly strange one to go on about. Thought that was a brilliant spot and can’t see the issue. They spotted it, they checked it, and it was very clear. Should it be allowed because a nice try would have followed?

And then the Henshaw one. At most it could have been a penalty for his arm rising up but people are going on about it like it should have been a red and that the ref should have taken into account how dangerous it was. Every tackle in rugby could be dangerous by that logic, just because this was a particularly ferocious hit doesn’t mean it should be penalised. And just because others might try it and get it wrong doesn’t change the fact that Robbie got it very very right.