Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by munster#1 »

Absolutely remarkable to come away with a BP win from that game.
Especially when you consider that Munster started with a 22 yr old hooker, 21 year old TH, and a 20 and a 21 year old in the second row.
Even the elder statesman of the front 5 was only 25.
That must be one of the youngest front 5s fielded in the pro14 or any other top flight league.

In the backs I though that Coombes had a good game, as did JJ.
Healy had a massive impact when he came on, and would hope to make the bench for the final, assuming that Joey is starting.

Lots of very exciting talent on display.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

JJ off to Clermont.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Bit of an enigma is JJ. He seems to have every tool in the bag. But here he is, off again. Best of luck.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: March 26th, 2021, 12:26 am Bit of an enigma is JJ. He seems to have every tool in the bag. But here he is, off again. Best of luck.
JJ is a very good player, and IMO gets a hard time, not because he is not a very good player, but because he is not as good as he potentially could have been.

I really hoped that he would have kicked on and nailed himself on as first choice and pick up a few caps along the way, but it wasn’t to be.

His timing is perfect, his market value is likely never to be higher than right now. Over the course of the next 12-24 months he could potentially find himself in a battle to even make the bench behind Healy, Crowley and Flannery.

Additionally, you would have to assume that JJ was given a significantly lower offer at Munster due to financial constraints, than what he will get with Clermont.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

He was never really back at Munster, will always be a case of what if.

Hope he kills it in France.
Auld Boy
Beginner

Post by Auld Boy »

So we play Munster again in the Rainbow Cup on 24th April.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Great move for JJ. Clermont are a massive team and the salaries in France are right at the top of the game.

He's not close to making the Irish squad despite having been Munster's first choice outhalf for a couple of seasons, so the time is very ripe for a move and this looks like a great one. He could be earning two or even three times as much as he was making at Munster, and I get the feeling that he will enjoy his rugby more at Clermont.

He hasn't fulfilled the potential he showed for the Ireland U20s back in 2012 over his two stints at Munster; I remember well how he looked like a potentially world class player in the 2012 JWC and was nominated for the IRB Junior Player of the Year on the back of his performances in that tournament. He played outside Jackson at No12 in the U20 Six Nations that year and then when Ulster pulled Jackson for the summer tournament Hanrahan went into No10 and just looked so assured – he had a great skill set, made brave decisions, ran well, kicked a load of goals, was physical in defense, really inspired the team. He was a really good No12 in the Six Nations, but he was so much better than Jackson had been as a No10!

No doubt that his performance against ASM had a big impact on the deal – he had a great audition. This will be the fourth act in his career in some ways, and I have the suspicion that he will do well in it. Best of luck to the lad.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

It looks like a great move for Hanrahan and let’s be fair it’s the right thing to do from a Munster perspective. They have in the past kept guys like JJ on and he gets games that young lads should get and he isn’t the answer in the bigger games. He did have a great game against Clermont over there and he looked like a different player than the one I’ve come to expect in the important games. Nice that he had that performance, nice that it might have helped get him the deal he got but also an exception to most of Munster’s biggest days with him maning the 10 jersey.

Healy and Crowley will only get better with more rugby, they have Jake Flannery also who might end up at 10, Joey is back in situ. For the biggest games Hanrahan has proved not good enough consistently and for the other ones they don’t need him. So fair play to Munster for backing the young lads (if it was their choice). If I was a Clermont fan I’d see him as being a bit to similar to years of Brock James for my liking but meh.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Munster fans, I’m hearing whispers that you lot are about to pick up Jason Jenkins in the second row. Lucky buggers if so! The Pretoria - Limerick pathway seems to be working well for you lads! #Munster

https://twitter.com/rugby_ap/status/137 ... 38689?s=19
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

JJ has been a key player for a while for Munster but he’s flavour of last month.

He made a few high profile mistakes and he’s gotten a lot of attention for that. With all the talk about Healy you could understand why he might be looking elsewhere if the contact offer was low.

I don’t expect to hear much grumbling that he’s leaving from fans so he didn’t have leverage. Hope it works out for him.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 26th, 2021, 5:39 pm Munster fans, I’m hearing whispers that you lot are about to pick up Jason Jenkins in the second row. Lucky buggers if so! The Pretoria - Limerick pathway seems to be working well for you lads! #Munster

And people think the IRFU are struggling financially at the minute...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Keith wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:46 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 26th, 2021, 5:39 pm Munster fans, I’m hearing whispers that you lot are about to pick up Jason Jenkins in the second row. Lucky buggers if so! The Pretoria - Limerick pathway seems to be working well for you lads! #Munster

Well I mean they clearly are struggling financially.

That's what makes the above so utterly ridiculous.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Surely that won't be approved when they already have Snyman there
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They are now.

At least his cap for SA isn’t holding him back now that project players are kinda finished.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A JJ out and a JJ in. Sounds in keeping with Munster. Keep doing the same thing and at some point it will work.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by mildlyinterested

Munster fans, I’m hearing whispers that you lot are about to pick up Jason Jenkins in the second row. Lucky buggers if so! The Pretoria - Limerick pathway seems to be working well for you lads! #Munster
Crazy decision. Just when you think Munster are beginning to trust their youth they go and do something like this.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Looking like Sweetnam is going to be let go to make way for a return of Munster’s top try scorer.

Supposedly off to join ROG until the end of the season with a view to signing a 3 year deal.

Cronin may also be on his was to joining Lyon.
Some big calls to be made over the next couple of months.
Last edited by munster#1 on March 27th, 2021, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:38 pm Looking like Sweetnam is going to be let go to make way for a return of Munster’s too try scorer.

Supposedly off to join ROG until the end of the season with a view to signing a 3 year deal.

Cronin may also be on his was to joining Lyon.
Some big calls to be made over the next couple of months.
i think he might be coming to replace John Ryan, who had an absolute stinker today?

:D :D :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He’s 31 and might have 2 years in the tank to get him to the RWC.

There’s a fair bit of depth in the Irish back 3 but not so much at fullback. Munster are very well stocked there and don’t really need him.

This only makes sense if Faz rates him as Munster is the only province he can realistically fit into. Even then it’s not great.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:25 pm

Well I mean they clearly are struggling financially.

That's what makes the above so utterly ridiculous.
Well clearly not, especially if this deal goes through and if Zebo is resigned.