Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by CiaranIrl »

munster#1 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:33 pm Great to see that big Pete has signed a 2 year contract.
Hopefully in the next few days we see some more Munster players nailed down.
Mad that he was offered a 2 year central contract in my opinion.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

CiaranIrl wrote: March 4th, 2021, 2:13 pm
munster#1 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:33 pm Great to see that big Pete has signed a 2 year contract.
Mad he was offered a central contract at all.
Anyone But New Zealand
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

He has been in the Irish match day squad almost continuously over the last few years and is still relatively young for a backrow.
I’d say he’d be getting a 3 year were it not for Covid.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

he turns 32 this year, he is not relatively young for a backrow.

a 3 year deal if it wasn't for Covid. :lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:09 pm he turns 32 this year, he is not relatively young for a backrow.

a 3 year deal if it wasn't for Covid. :lol:
Edit: sorry, I didn’t notice who the poster was.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If every Irish backrow were fit in the morning, would POM be starting?

Hard to say.

Personally I don't think so but Farrell has consistently picked him.

I don't think it's wise for IRFU to be giving a two year deal to a 31 year old who has gone through a big form dip in the last year and who's starting position is at very least debatable.

Interesting to see will CJ's central contract get renewed.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm If every Irish backrow were fit in the morning, would POM be starting?

Hard to say.

I don't think it's wise for IRFU to be giving a two year deal to a 31 year old who has gone through a big form dip in the last year and who's starting position is at very least debatable.

To be honest, and this is a separate discussion, I think that POM has been in better form over the last 12 months that most years prior to that.
He was one of the better players during the Autumn IMO.

Prior to the start of the 6 nations, all fit you would have probably banked on a starting backrow of CJ, POM and Dorris, and I don’t think anyone has really done enough to displace that unit to date.

Beirne has been great, but if Dorris comes back I suspect he will slot in at 8 and CJ will go to 6, meaning that it’s the 7 shirt up for debate, but I do agree that who fills that 7 shirt would be an interesting debate.

At 30 you would expect CJ to get a 3 year deal, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 2 year contract offered, which could be a difficult decision for CJ given the attrition of rugby and his young family.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 4:05 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm If every Irish backrow were fit in the morning, would POM be starting?

Hard to say.

To be honest, and this is a separate discussion, I think that POM has been in better form over the last 12 months that most years prior to that.
He was one of the better players during the Autumn IMO.

Prior to the start of the 6 nations, all fit you would have probably banked on a starting backrow of CJ, POM and Dorris, and I don’t think anyone has really done enough to displace that unit to date.

Beirne has been great, but if Dorris comes back I suspect he will slot in at 8 and CJ will go to 6, meaning that it’s the 7 shirt up for debate, but I do agree that who fills that 7 shirt would be an interesting debate.

At 30 you would expect CJ to get a 3 year deal, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 2 year contract offered, which could be a difficult decision for CJ given the attrition of rugby and his young family.
He played well in the AIs, which was all the more surprising considering how poor he was for a lot of the year before that. That was the conversation at the time, his return to form after having been poor since the WC.

And then the less said about this 6N the better really.

Doris and CJ are nailed on imo, so the debate then is whether you play POM at 7 or one of the other options.

So to give a 31 year old backrow a central contract when he's probably the least secure of the three doesn't make sense to me.

On Stander, there's just not a hope the IRFU are giving out 3 year deals in this climate!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Hard to say.

It's been debated before, but does the fact that he's on a central contract mean he's more likely to start (or even be in the squad) than if he had a local contract? I know it SHOULDN'T but....
It seems a bit mad to me.
Dont Panic!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

munster#1 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 2:55 pm
He has been in the Irish match day squad almost continuously over the last few years and is still relatively young for a backrow.
I’d say he’d be getting a 3 year were it not for Covid.
I think the central contracting process has had a few dubious cases in recent years - it's not just this one. Kearney, Toner, McGrath & Trimble all come to mind. I think this isn't dissimilar. Central contracting should look forward, not reward the past.

His best days are behind him, and it's really unlikely that he'll be starting come the next world cup.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote: March 4th, 2021, 2:42 pm
+1
About as mad as giving Sexton a one year Central Contract.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Oldschool wrote: March 4th, 2021, 5:51 pm

+1
100%
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote: March 4th, 2021, 5:51 pm

+1
The Sexton one is different. There's nobody near the level he is around the setup, only a few young lads who could maybe be somewhere near his level. Whereas POM has multiple competitors for 6 and 7 who are equal to or better than him.
Anyone But New Zealand
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Munster's parlous financial position, O'Mahony's talismanic status within the Munster rugby family, and the decision to take his costs centrally rather than offload to Munster are behind this 2 Year deal IMHO. He was never going anywhere else and I would wager even though he's been offered a 2 Year deal he's on a fraction of what he used to be on.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

betty swallocks wrote: March 4th, 2021, 7:25 pm Munster's parlous financial position, O'Mahony's talismanic status within the Munster rugby family, and the decision to take his costs centrally rather than offload to Munster are behind this 2 Year deal IMHO. He was never going anywhere else and I would wager even though he's been offered a 2 Year deal he's on a fraction of what he used to be on.
In fairness all 4 provinces are royally screwed when it comes to having a perilous financial position, with each of the 4 likely to be in debt that will take a fair few years to pay off.
Leinster will be no different in praying that the IRFU will offer their top players a new contract.

Additionally, I’d be surprised if anyone other than players moving from academy or development contracts, are not being offered a fraction of what they used to be on.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Interesting to read that Healy has turned down a longer contract and opted for a 1 year instead.
Good move from him, especially considering that he is Scottish and English qualified, so smart to keep his options open.

Rumours going around that JJ is on his way out the door, which is a real shame. It would have been great if he had managed to fulfill his early potential.

Coombes, Cronin and Haley have signed 2 year deals which is great news, as I had heard that Haley was leaving and that Cronin was going to be let go.

Additionally Flannery has been given a 1 year deal, and Crowley is looking likely to receive a 2 year deal.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

When is Earls signing his two year central contract? Sure we may aswell go to the next world cup with the same team.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:44 am When is Earls signing his two year central contract? Sure we may aswell go to the next world cup with the same team.
Earls and Healy’s contracts will be the most interesting given their ages.

I suspect that both will get one year deals.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

One player who I would love to see offered a contract extension would be Wooten.

He has been great this season.
But for injury Wooten would have a fair few caps by now.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

munster#1 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 9:43 am
Keith wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:44 am When is Earls signing his two year central contract? Sure we may aswell go to the next world cup with the same team.
Earls and Healy’s contracts will be the most interesting given their ages.

I suspect that both will get one year deals.
The Central contract negotiations this year should be viewed as a support lifeline for the provinces (Healy) as much as anything else. I understand why Mahoney got one such is his importance to the Munster Movement, but I don't think Earls falls into the same category. I'd rather that wing slot went to Conway/Larmour or even Keenan.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan