Champions Cup 2020 / 21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Champions Cup 2020 / 21

Post by blockhead »

Dexter wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:31 am
neill_m wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:20 am 24 team format being kept for season 2021/22.
So, the way it used to be before the Nigels took over and "improved" the tournament?? :wink:
And we're back with the sames singular sponsor, but for less money.
"You Plonker Rodney"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGxSM5y7Pfs

BTW, I hope nobody on here is offended by the this.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Before the Nigels took over there were only 6 or 7 French and 6 or 7 English. The rest were done by country but it was a shitload of pro12. I'd have to look it up to say exactly but it was something like 3 or 4 Irish (I Think we had all 4 a couple of times) 3 or 4 Welsh. Both Scots Both Italians.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:46 pm Before the Nigels took over there were only 6 or 7 French and 6 or 7 English. The rest were done by country but it was a shitload of pro12. I'd have to look it up to say exactly but it was something like 3 or 4 Irish (I Think we had all 4 a couple of times) 3 or 4 Welsh. Both Scots Both Italians.
I thought it was 3 Irish, 3 Welsh, 1 Scottish, 1 Italian, previous winner, winner of challange cup and 6 from England and France - or something like that.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Dexter wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:31 am
neill_m wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:20 am 24 team format being kept for season 2021/22.
So, the way it used to be before the Nigels took over and "improved" the tournament?? :wink:
I suspect we will see a similar format to this year with the 2 groups x 12 and Round of 16 etc.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The Doc wrote: April 30th, 2021, 1:30 pm
johng wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:46 pm Before the Nigels took over there were only 6 or 7 French and 6 or 7 English. The rest were done by country but it was a shitload of pro12. I'd have to look it up to say exactly but it was something like 3 or 4 Irish (I Think we had all 4 a couple of times) 3 or 4 Welsh. Both Scots Both Italians.
I thought it was 3 Irish, 3 Welsh, 1 Scottish, 1 Italian, previous winner, winner of challange cup and 6 from England and France - or something like that.
Think that was it alright. They managed to get more English and French teams into it now. That's the real difference. Has that improved the tournament significantly? No, IMHO.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I saw an interview with Simon Halliday, CEO of EPCR, on BT Rugby Roundup on Sunday where his big news was that the three Leagues and six Unions had agreed the overall collaboration process for EPCR through to 2028-29 Season. He said this was a first and that 'equality of access and esteem was the new way forward.

He also admitted under pressure that everyone involved was very taken by the 'impact' of knock-out on the Round of 16 which had been noted by everybody (Team owners, Sponsors, TV, Advertising Buyers etc) and couldn't be ignored. He acknowledged that Top 14 & Premiership representatives understood the possible significance of the arrival of SA teams and believed it would be a big benefit to the competitions.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 30th, 2021, 4:57 pm
I saw an interview with Simon Halliday, CEO of EPCR, on BT Rugby Roundup on Sunday where his big news was that the three Leagues and six Unions had agreed the overall collaboration process for EPCR through to 2028-29 Season. He said this was a first and that 'equality of access and esteem was the new way forward.

He also admitted under pressure that everyone involved was very taken by the 'impact' of knock-out on the Round of 16 which had been noted by everybody (Team owners, Sponsors, TV, Advertising Buyers etc) and couldn't be ignored. He acknowledged that Top 14 & Premiership representatives understood the possible significance of the arrival of SA teams and believed it would be a big benefit to the competitions.
Watched it myself. He said that negotiations were ongoing re the South African sides being able to play in Heineken Cup / Challenge Cup under the new participation agreement from 2022. They will probably be allowed into the club. The round of 16 was an 11th hour solution to the cancellation of rounds 3 and 4 of the group phase and was a great success. The previously planned 2 leg Quarter Finals were binned and will not return probably.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Doc wrote: April 30th, 2021, 1:30 pm
If you think about it. That would only be 22 teams. There were 24. There were actually a minimum of 10 teams from the PRO12 In the 4 seasons listed below there were 11. Had Cardiff won their 2010 Amlin a year later there could have been ALL 12 PRO12 teams in the HC

6 English 6 French 3 Irish 3 Welsh 2 Itallian 2 Scotish AND the winner of both cups (Or a team from their country if they were already qualified)

So potentially 7 of English/French and 4 of Welsh/Irish.

13/14 Had 7 French (Toulon won the HC and brought Perpignan in) and 4 Irish (Leinster won the Amlin and brought Connacht in)
12/13 Had 7 French (Biarritz won the Amlin and qualified) and 4 Irish (Leinster won the Heino and brought Connacht in)
11/12 Had 7 English (Harlequins won the Amlin and qualified) and 4 Irish (Leinster won the Heino and brought Connacht in)
10/11 Had 7 French (Toulouse won the HC and brought Biarritz in) and 4 Welsh (Cardiff won the Amlin and brought Dragons in)

3 years in a row Leinster brought Connacht in.

Pre PRO12 The Italians qualified from their own league. Pre 2007 The Border Reivers were involved so there were 3 Scottish teams. (4 in the 90s)
The situation where both countries had only 2 teams "evolved"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Italy last won a 6N game in 2015, just to give an example of some of the knock on effects.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Kane Douglas starting for Bordeaux - I had no idea he was still around and playing top tier rugby!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Lovely play by Kolbe there leading to the yellow card but jebus is Wayne's "French" accent making my ears bleed.

Please, just speak in English if you are going to pronounce French as if it's English. I doubt they can understand you anyway.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

fourthirtythree wrote: May 1st, 2021, 3:28 pm Lovely play by Kolbe there leading to the yellow card but jebus is Wayne's "French" accent making my ears bleed.

Please, just speak in English if you are going to pronounce French as if it's English. I doubt they can understand you anyway.
:D he's like the lads in Allo Allo
Dont Panic!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

They sound more French than him. It's more like Delboy from Only Fools and Horses.

"Tran-kwill, tran-kwill" seriously, unless they speak English they would have no idea wtf he's saying.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

😂
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Having a feeling ‘leave it 17’ today will be non monsieur poirot.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In the sad weeks since our semi-final defeat by La Rochelle, I have sought a credible analysis as to how LAR dismantled our attacking threats and overcame our defensive strengths so comprehensively. Undoubtedly, some of our players played below expectations, but that is inadequate explanation of the overall display and underates the strategic game plan of LAR and the detail they applied in achieving their result.

I consider that our display in the quarter-final against Exeter rates as one of the best coaching displays of the Leocaster era and was almost a perfect demonstration of analysis of opposition strengths and weaknesses and the execution of tactics which effectively dismantled a strong team despite Exeter's confidence that they could reproduce the form that enabled them to win Premiership & European titles last Season. Conversely, the game plan & tactics of Gibbs & RO'G eviserated Leinster and it was a masterpiece of excellent coaching, not least because it was the details which caused the greatest damage.

As they face into their biggest challenge in the European Cup final against Toulouse, the question is, can they reproduce this tactical excellence and produce the performance to beat the French aristocrats? If they do so, there is little doubt will take their place among the European elite.

Toulouse have a team which appears to have the necessary skills and experience to claim their fifth star. They have an abundance of French internationals who have shared in the renaissance of the national team this season. They have three attacking superstars, Kolbe, Fickau & Dupont, who would figure in almost every World XV and in Marchand, Baille, Kaino, Ntamack, & Huget perhaps five other players who would be name-checked in discussion of any such selection during the past five years. Add in Faumoina, the Arnold's, Tekori, Medard, Ramos & Ahki and you have a Squad strength with few evident weaknesses.

La Rochelle have stars, perhaps not yet as stellar as some of their direct opponents. But there can be little doubt that" Les Maretimes" have recruited very astutely when one considers that of the eight players they signed last summer, seven of them were in the starting Squad against Leinster. Dulin, Rhule, Skelton & Leyds may be slightly less revered than their Toulouse counterparts but each has played a key role in delivering the required physical, emotional and tactical performances demanded by O'Gara & Gibbes. Add in Bourgarit, Antonio, Herrera, Aldritt, Vito, Gourdon, Kerr-Barlow, West, Botia & Doumayrou and it comprises a very tidy mix.

This one is hard to call and ultimately I believe that the winning and losing experiences of the Irish-Kiwi coaching duo are better than those of Ugo Mola and his Toulousain back-up team. However, against that, Toulouse beat LAR well in the 2019 Top 14 Barrage semi-final before going on to beat Clermont well in the final. They also took the honour of breaking the year-long home record of LAR in February this year by the tight margin of 11-14.

There will be oodles of respect and deferential behaviour from the LAR team and Coaches but somehow I think that Gibbes & RO'C are more likely to have to add to their respective CVs after this encounter.

LAR BY 8.
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

I am really looking forward to this, the first 'proper' game this year, in front of spectators. Both teams have supporters prepared to travel, and no doubt they will manage somehow to get to Twickenham.
Normally, unless they are playing us, I am a big Toulousain supporter, especially after being there in Oct 2018. Atmosphere unbelievable as was everything else, even down to the old gaffers selling smelly cheese and homemade wine from backs of ancient cars in the car park. However, however, and without logic, I don't want them to have a 5th star while we don't.
Heartbreak not being there. I am sure that lots of us - well, the vaccinated ones at least - would have teleported ourselves to Twickers by hook or crook, but alas!
Hard to know who to cheer for.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Caliphi wrote: May 21st, 2021, 12:04 pm I am really looking forward to this, the first 'proper' game this year, in front of spectators.
NZ (and Oz now) have been playing to full houses in the super rugby for quite a while Caliphi. NZ did a proper lockdown and it worked.

weather in london is seriously manky....I fancy Montpelllier and LaRochelle to take the trophies this weekend. Am still reeling from the LAR back-row display against us in the semi final. Skelton is savage. I think the weather might favour brute & brawn over ntmack & duponts brilliance.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I hope Tolouse win it, I love their style of rugby , weather is due to improve tomorrow so hopefully we see some good rugby
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I was looking down the team lists yesterday and have become more and more convinced that La Rochelle will win this.

Their pack is filled with quality – great players, some huge men, a lot of experience ... obviously Skelton was the big focus for us in the aftermath of the game, but Alldritt and Bougarit were absolutely outstanding, Vito is a double World Cup-winner and has been first class since his arrival in France and Kevin Gourdon is like Rhys Ruddock, a player who you would think should have 25 more test caps than he does.

I think that it's a pack that has the beating of Toulouse, especially with Marchand suspended. He is central to so much of Toulouse's play up front; he's like a Dupont playing at hooker.

I'm not sure if Ihaia West can match the flawless game he had against us in the semi-final, but he may not need to.