Squidge

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Squidge

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:43 pm No it doesn't, because for most Christians the Old Testament in general still stands. There are aspects of the Mosaic Law of the Old Testament - how to wash, clothing, tattoos, what to eat (e.g. ban on shellfish, pork), other Israelite cultural rules etc. which are explicitly 'fulfilled' in Jesus in the New Testament, after which there is a new law/covenant for everyone in the world, e.g. Matthew 5:17, Galatians 3:23-25, 6:2, Romans 3:21-24, 8:1-4.

But there's also much more to the Old Testament than just the parts on Mosaic Law, e.g. the story in Daniel of the Israelites refusing to bow in Babylon. That has nothing to do with Mosaic Law. And in any case, there are martyrs in similar situations in the New Testament.

This basic theology of why most Christians don't follow Mosaic Law is something that is very frustrating to watch both highly conservative Christians and vituperative atheists like Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens etc. get consistently wrong all the time, both usually in a smug, condescending manner.
so what you've done is called cherrypicking.

the man is very transparently hiding his bigotry behind his religion.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:44 pm Anyway, that's probably enough theology for a rugby forum :lol:
yup
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It isn't cherrypicking though. I explained why above - if the Old Testament were only Mosaic Law, then it would be cherrypicking. But it's not.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

He's definitely bigoted against gay people, but how exactly is he bigoted on racial grounds (which is what's under discussion here)? Are you saying he's bigoted against blacks (as a non-white person himself) because he refused to bow for Black Lives Matter on religious grounds? I don't agree with that.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Folau can't support any organisation, movement or action that opposes discrimination because he is in favour of discrimination.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 11:19 pm He's definitely bigoted against gay people, but how exactly is he bigoted on racial grounds (which is what's under discussion here)? Are you saying he's bigoted against blacks (as a non-white person himself) because he refused to bow for Black Lives Matter on religious grounds? I don't agree with that.
Oh right, so who said he was racially bigoted?

He is being mocked for being a homophobe I said nothing about BLM
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

This particular thread is referring to him not taking a knee before a match recently.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: August 13th, 2020, 12:09 am This particular thread is referring to him not taking a knee before a match recently.
oh right - this
neiliog93 wrote: August 9th, 2020, 12:04 pm There's also nothing wrong with not bowing before any person or movement (however good or justified) because your religious beliefs don't allow it.
I took that as a metaphor for his whole homophobic twattery schtick...

OK here's where we agree:
1: Mr. Foleau hides his anti gay bigotry behind his religion
2: It is perfectly fine for someone to call him out as a homophobic tw@t when he tweets his bigotry
3: there is some obscure passage in a book that tells a story about some people not kneeling for some reason or other
4: for some reason Mr. Foleau chose not to kneel in solidarity with people who would rather that American police officers would please stop killing black people (which he is perfectly entitled to do)
5: It is perfectly fine for someone on twitter to call him the C word because of this

here's some points that I also think we might agree on:
1: this thread is about Squidge's YouTube content which I find entertaining and educational (he called Japan beating Ireland in the World Cup)
2: Mr. Foleau seems to hold some strange beliefs which are far from orthodox
3: If the deity that Mr. Foleau believes in does exist then he/she/it actually won't really care at all what consensual adults do with their bits and pieces and might actually be a little amused that such a fuss was made about the whole thing
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »