Refereeing the breakdown - Change ahoy

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines

No more croc rolls, collapsing the ruck is to be policed from now on

“Encourage arriving players to drive and bind to opponents rather than diving in or tackling them”
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Refereeing the breakdown - Change ahoy

Post by Morf »

Twist wrote:https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines

“Encourage arriving players to drive and bind to opponents rather than diving in or tackling them”
Don't see anything specific on croc rolls rather than usual rhetoric around 'winning the race to the ball before the ruck'.

One of those that World Rugby may choose to emphasize or not. Sounds more like shorter competition for ball i.e. in all cases the jackal is rewarded, penalised or instructed to move away more quickly.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I cant see it working. Referees will slip back into their usual habits of letting things go so the breakdown will return to being a mess after a while. The likes of Peyper has his own interpretations of what's happening.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Morf wrote:
Twist wrote:https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines

Don't see anything specific on croc rolls rather than usual rhetoric around 'winning the race to the ball before the ruck'.

One of those that World Rugby may choose to emphasize or not. Sounds more like shorter competition for ball i.e. in all cases the jackal is rewarded, penalised or instructed to move away more quickly.
It’s the bit I quoted.

A croc roll is a tackle. The video linked in the article of Scotland counter rucking us shows pretty clearly what they have in mind by ‘pushing’
Last edited by Twist on April 6th, 2020, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

dropkick wrote:I cant see it working. Referees will slip back into their usual habits of letting things go so the breakdown will return to being a mess after a while. The likes of Peyper has his own interpretations of what's happening.
I fear you might be right but he was actually on the board for this one!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Twist wrote:It’s the bit I quoted.

A croc roll is a tackle. The video linked in the article of Scotland counter rucking us shows pretty clearly what they have in mind by ‘pushing’
That's your own personal interpretation. Another might interpret it as a rucking battle over the ball.

Yes but their video of clear release has Peter O'Mahony not clearly releasing. He releases one hand then returns onto the player before releasing and rebind with the other hand.

It's anything but clear. The release is supposed to allow the tackled player to place. If one hand at a time can be released clearly it's not facilitating a place and faster play.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Morf wrote:
Twist wrote:It’s the bit I quoted.

That's your own personal interpretation. Another might interpret it as a rucking battle over the ball.

Yes but their video of clear release has Peter O'Mahony not clearly releasing. He releases one hand then returns onto the player before releasing and rebind with the other hand.

It's anything but clear. The release is supposed to allow the tackled player to place. If one hand at a time can be released clearly it's not facilitating a place and faster play.
It's really not my personal interpretation. Taking the words they used in their ordinary meaning, and combining that with the visual examples they chose to provide there's no other interpretation to be drawn.

The laws of the game have always been clear on this; “Players must endeavour to remain on their feet throughout the ruck. Sanction - penalty." And now WR have signalled an intention to have this enforced.

Whether they see it through is open to speculation, of course
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

We can see it different plays but the proof will be in how it's reffed and if that is uniform across rugby.