Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

berliner
Bookworm

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by berliner »

Papali’i has signed a contract extension for another year. He's looked a lot leaner recently and has improved both in the tackle and carry. If he can continue on that path, and stay away from the reds, he'll have a big impact.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

He needs to get through a summer off going home before you can be too certain though.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Anyone know where the Connacht rugby fans talk? Just had a look on the Connacht clan site and it's fairly pathetic. Shame, that was a vibrant site a few years ago.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

The Munster crowd say similar about us 🤣
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

sunshiner1 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 10:14 am Anyone know where the Connacht rugby fans talk? Just had a look on the Connacht clan site and it's fairly pathetic. Shame, that was a vibrant site a few years ago.
Most active place I've seen is the thread on Boards:
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthr ... 8&page=148
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

sunshiner1 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 10:14 am Anyone know where the Connacht rugby fans talk? Just had a look on the Connacht clan site and it's fairly pathetic. Shame, that was a vibrant site a few years ago.
The Connacht Clan forum used to be great, but it was completely redesigned a few years ago and died immediately after, not really sure why. The boards thread is decent but is unfortunately on boards so not without the usual detritus that inhabit that godforsaken site. I pop in here because the discussion is generally well balanced and it's interesting to get the perspective of non-Connacht fans.

On Papali'i, I'm personally delighted he's staying. We've been desperate for a carrier for years and we've finally gotten one. Even by the high standards of massive Polynesians he is ferocious. I will never get bored of watching him steamroll defenders, it's not something us Connacht fans are used to seeing. Seems to have a good attitude too and has improved in most facets; namely tackle technique, ball protection, and fitness. I especially enjoyed his break through the ruck last week as coming from league it's obviously a completely new skill that he has picked up by watching the likes of Paul Boyle and Caelan Doris and added to his own game.

The next stage of his career will involve being double and triple tackled every time he touches the ball, so he will need to add a passing/offloading wrinkle to his arsenal. His disciplinary record could be a real issue too as any further reds would lead to a lengthy suspension.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Thanks fellas.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Roux's departure is a body blow for Connacht. The problem isn't about second row personnel as such. Murray has come on very well, Dowling and Prendergast show much promise, and Thornbury and Dillane are excellent, but they haven't the enforcement capacity that Roux has shown. The province is also critically short on leadership experience and needed him for this as much as his physical attributes.

I am concerned that if the basic weaknesses in Connacht's game are not dealt with (maul, jackal turnovers) next season could turn very nasty and result in a player exodus. Notice of this risk was served some months ago when Carty and Bealham signed one year contracts, presumably keeping their options open. Worrying.

Lastly, I find it difficult to believe that he wasn't going to get any more caps, or are we to presume that this is implicit in the refusal of the IRFU to get involved a la Zebo? After Ryan/Henderson, who is next in the depth chart? Based on recent performances, Baird looks premature to me. Beirne is more comfortable at flanker. Dillane is more in the Ryan vein. So who am i missing? Seems to me Quinn would have been one injury off an Ireland team for the next year or two.
Last edited by berliner on May 10th, 2021, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

berliner wrote: May 10th, 2021, 4:36 pm Roux's departure is a body blow for Connacht. The problem isn't about second row personnel as such. Murray has come on very well, Dowling and Prendergast show much promise, and Thornbury and Dillane are excellent, but they haven't the enforcement capacity that Roux has shown. The province is also critically short on leadership experience and needed him for this as much as his physical attributes.

I am concerned that if the basic weaknesses in Connacht's game are not dealt with (maul, jackal turnovers) next season could turn very nasty and result in a player exodus. Notice of this risk was served some months ago Carty and Bealham signed one year contracts, presumably keeping their options open. Worrying.

Lastly, I find it difficult to believe that he wasn't going to get any more caps, or are we to presume that this is implicit in the refusal of the IRFU to get involved a la Zebo? After Ryan/Henderson, who is next in the depth chart? Based on recent performances, Baird looks premature to me. Beirne is more comfortable at flanker. Dillane is more in the Ryan vein. So who am i missing? Seems to me Quinn would have been one injury off an Ireland team for the next year or two.
+1
Roux's decision is comparable to some Nationally contracted players only signing on for a one-year stint, possibly because what's on offer here is less than previously. It's a delicate time but players have only one career so they are right to take the opportunity overseas if that's what's going to put bread on the table and allow them to put some away for the future.

Roux has paid his dues, both to Connacht and Ireland, and will be a valuable asset to Toulon or where ever. Personally, I'd have been delighted to have him back in Leinster where he could have done a job alongside James Ryan at the highest level games.

Baird is a distance off a top class second-row for an 80 minute role. Perhaps Jack Dunne may fill out and accumulate the experience. For the present Dev & Ross Molony will share the burden alongside James Ryan for big games next season. It won't worry any opponents nor increase the challenge we present in major competitions, but that's the reality as we stand.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by berliner

Roux's departure is a body blow for Connacht. The problem isn't about second row personnel as such. Murray has come on very well, Dowling and Prendergast show much promise, and Thornbury and Dillane are excellent, but they haven't the enforcement capacity that Roux has shown. The province is also critically short on leadership experience and needed him for this as much as his physical attributes.

I am concerned that if the basic weaknesses in Connacht's game are not dealt with (maul, jackal turnovers) next season could turn very nasty and result in a player exodus. Notice of this risk was served some months ago when Carty and Bealham signed one year contracts, presumably keeping their options open. Worrying.

Excellent summation. Ireland doesn't have that many big lumps knocking around. I'm still not convinced about Kleyn and there is no one else like him or coming through the Irish System. Hope Connacht are given cash to buy someone to replace otherwise next year will not be pretty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sunshiner1 wrote: May 11th, 2021, 10:18 am
Excellent summation. Ireland doesn't have that many big lumps knocking around. I'm still not convinced about Kleyn and there is no one else like him or coming through the Irish System. Hope Connacht are given cash to buy someone to replace otherwise next year will not be pretty.
Andy Friend as quoted in todays indo by Cian Tracy who wrote:“We’ve got funds to bring in somebody that’s going to be quality. Our intention is now to find that person and get them here ready for next year.”
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I find this yearning for Roux once he's leaving a bit weird.
Yes he's an effective scrummager and yes he can bulldoze a ruck but his footballing skills are relatively poor along with only being an average lineout forward. I don't feel he's going to get into a Leinster first 15 with everyone fit but each to their own lamentation I guess.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Morf wrote: May 11th, 2021, 6:16 pm I find this yearning for Roux once he's leaving a bit weird.
Yes he's an effective scrummager and yes he can bulldoze a ruck but his footballing skills are relatively poor along with only being an average lineout forward. I don't feel he's going to get into a Leinster first 15 with everyone fit but each to their own lamentation I guess.
He has been out of sight and out of mind for a good while since his neck injury until the recent past. His performances in the Autumn Nations Cup were the best games he has played for Ireland though. I think he's a real loss for Connacht and definitely something of a loss for Ireland.

If I was in Andy Friend's position I'd be looking to pick up John Madigan [26] from AS Beziers. He's a like-for-like replacement for Roux in terms of size: 199cm/122kg, a very big man. Beziers finished in bottom end of mid-table in ProD2, so a move to Connacht would be a move upwards for him.

I think they're in massive trouble with regards to their lack of depth at second row. They've got Thornbury and Dillane and then an enormous drop-off to the third cab off the rank [Niall Murray, as it stands]. The league is going to change a lot next year with four strong South African clubs coming on board – it will be a case of the tide going out will show who has been swimming in the nip in terms of mauling. The game last weekend was a shot across their bows; they had four of their best tight five on the pitch [Buckley, Heffernan, Bealham, Thornbury and Murray] and we obliterated them with our maul.

They're bringing in Dewald Senekal as a forwards coach, so I expect they'll get a South African lock. But in my opinion they need two locks.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Dave Cahill

Andy Friend as quoted in todays indo by Cian Tracy who wrote:
“We’ve got funds to bring in somebody that’s going to be quality. Our intention is now to find that person and get them here ready for next year.”
Connacht really need a big name signing. No offence to Oliver, Arnold or the rest of last years signings but all were either journeymen or experiments to some degree. It's a sliding scale and not a good one. If they want to energise the fans again they need some quality.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Roux for Ireland or indeed for Leinster is a decent option to have ( nice but not essential) but for Connacht he's one of our genuine stars along with Aki and to a lesser extent bealham and up and coming Paul Boyle.

Losing him is a disaster for Connacht much greater than his playing ability. He gets into Ireland squads, helps make us relevent to the national discussion, shows other players a pathway to international recognition and is the only real th lock at the club. Make no mistake this is about money and more particularly length of contract. A like for like replacement isn't possible, the replacement won't be iq and in that there's s loss. I also highly doubt we will find a quality replacement without significant spending above what roux would have cost to retain.

Currently thornberry is doing a great job filling in but his skillset is on the other side and so is dillanes.

Connacht in a wider sense are in a serious spot of bother. Older players in contract like Healy, Toh, Buckley not performing and a coaching ticket that's losing the supporters. I think with roux and a couple of injury returns we have a good squad bar a decent 7 but our coaching and tactics are pants. Imagine any pro team unable to sort maul defence and ball protection in contract over a season and you've got a coaching issue.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by king

Roux for Ireland or indeed for Leinster is a decent option to have ( nice but not essential) but for Connacht he's one of our genuine stars along with Aki and to a lesser extent bealham and up and coming Paul Boyle.

Losing him is a disaster for Connacht much greater than his playing ability. He gets into Ireland squads, helps make us relevent to the national discussion, shows other players a pathway to international recognition and is the only real th lock at the club. Make no mistake this is about money and more particularly length of contract. A like for like replacement isn't possible, the replacement won't be iq and in that there's s loss. I also highly doubt we will find a quality replacement without significant spending above what roux would have cost to retain.

Currently thornberry is doing a great job filling in but his skillset is on the other side and so is dillanes.

Connacht in a wider sense are in a serious spot of bother. Older players in contract like Healy, Toh, Buckley not performing and a coaching ticket that's losing the supporters. I think with roux and a couple of injury returns we have a good squad bar a decent 7 but our coaching and tactics are pants. Imagine any pro team unable to sort maul defence and ball protection in contract over a season and you've got a coaching issue.
Again it's money. I remember the time when Connacht got their first dedicated defence coach and the difference it made that season. I'll say it again when the IRFU gave serious investment in Connacht they got a good return in some serious players coming through and silverware. Easily more than they did with Munster. Unfortunately Connacht are back to the days of losing their best player every season except this time it's to France and not to another province.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

You definitely have to feel for Connacht.
They have very few genuine international class players at the moment (although I do think that will change over the next couple of years) and lose one is a devastating blow.

Unfortunately Roux is at an age now where he is unlikely to get too many more options to collect a good salary.
He has to think about his and his families future, and this move is probably the right decision for the individual.

However, I do think that Connacht and the IRFU should have really pushed to keep Roux.
He provides the players around him with a real sense that they can push on and achieve. He shows potential signings that Connacht is a place where you can go, and still become an international.

Connacht really need to push on from being a squad that gets picked apart every time they seem to make progress.
For me, the loss of Roux is right up there with the loss of Henshaw, as it really detracts from their identity.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Big call from Friend to remove both props with the clock in the red at the end of the first half!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Well, well.... Interesting.
Dont Panic!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Doesn't that mean Connacht have won away in Leinster, Ulster and Munster in (effectively) the same season. Has that ever happened before??
Dont Panic!