Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by Xanthippe »

Dexter wrote: May 14th, 2021, 8:06 pm Doesn't that mean Connacht have won away in Leinster, Ulster and Munster in (effectively) the same season. Has that ever happened before??
Nope. Before January they’d only won once in Dublin - in Donnybrook in 2002 and that season they lost to Munster in Musgrave Park and didn’t play Ulster
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The 10 minute period immediately following half-time demonstrated perfectly why there remains a gulf, not a gap, between Casey and Marmion as scrum-halves. Coaching and experience will close the distance but it won't happen in weeks, perhaps not even months and maybe not for years.

Casey is confident, independent and energetic. Marmion is astute, reads the game really well and works for and with his team- mates.

Watch Casey make three key mistakes with a loose pass leading to Marmion's try (41 mins), a sloppy pass in attack (46 mins) and leaving CJ isolated at the back of an attacking scrum (48) and contrast it with Marmion's contributions at this key time of the game.

Ireland's scrum-half stock is high at present but it will not benefit either Munster or Ireland to listen, or belief, the hype by commentators and media of Craig Casey's every move.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 15th, 2021, 12:25 pm The 10 minute period immediately following half-time demonstrated perfectly why there remains a gulf, not a gap, between Casey and Marmion as scrum-halves. Coaching and experience will close the distance but it won't happen in weeks, perhaps not even months and maybe not for years.

Casey is confident, independent and energetic. Marmion is astute, reads the game really well and works for and with his team- mates.

Watch Casey make three key mistakes with a loose pass leading to Marmion's try (41 mins), a sloppy pass in attack (46 mins) and leaving CJ isolated at the back of an attacking scrum (48) and contrast it with Marmion's contributions at this key time of the game.

Ireland's scrum-half stock is high at present but it will not benefit either Munster or Ireland to listen, or belief, the hype by commentators and media of Craig Casey's every move.
We are very tough on our scrumhalves aren’t we. No mercy.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: May 15th, 2021, 12:52 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: May 15th, 2021, 12:25 pm The 10 minute period immediately following half-time demonstrated perfectly why there remains a gulf, not a gap, between Casey and Marmion as scrum-halves. Coaching and experience will close the distance but it won't happen in weeks, perhaps not even months and maybe not for years.

We are very tough on our scrumhalves aren’t we. No mercy.
That's an interesting way of describing the Truth.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I've said it before, I honestly don't get the hype over Casey.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Murray is 32 and had an injury related run of weaker form.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Casey started brilliantly yesterday (the way he kept the kick to touch in play, his clearance kicks, his breaking, his defence) but he wasn’t as good after he took the knock and in general Munster were just very hit and miss. I certainly didn’t notice any big improvement when Murray came on.

The pack was poor but even when they had good ball the backs were brutal. Goggin was a massive weakness, Gallagher offered very little, and Daly made heaps of bad errors too.

Thought they had far bigger problems outside of the halfbacks. Leadership is a big issue IMO. You’ve an experienced guy like JOD getting involved in all that off the ball shite, CJ moaning about the ref, turning down easy kicks but going for ones from inside their own half. I wonder does that feed into how they communicate with the coaches. For me it looks like they players need to stand up to JVG and change the game plan.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

I think the niggle helped us and the early prop substitutions, we usually fall asleep in the third quarter but the agro kept us focused and the props coming on just before halftime then had to come out and justify the change.

Prendergast looks like a future international and papilii was decent in a game where his carrying was nullified, in particular he did really well behind a retreating scrum and tidied up about 3 dodgy situations. Murray is missing a bit of power but his workrate and decision making is seriously impressive.

Thought the ref was decent, he missed the players ahead of the jumper for Munsters last try and probably could have yc at least a couple of jods clearouts. On the other side of that I thought the DDa knock on was a little harsh, maybe not wrong but I'd have been annoyed if it was us. Totally got the disallowed try from pom correct.

I was impressed with Casey's passing early on but there's no body of work there to justify his inclusion in Irish squads, marmian, blade, McGrath and cooney are all a clear distance ahead of him.

The intent and aggression need to be a part of Connachts game every week.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Sean O'Brien the Connacht Centre is off to Exeter apparently

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/rugby/r ... en-5454375

It will be another blow to Connacht if he goes
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

sunshiner1 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 10:41 am Sean O'Brien the Connacht Centre is off to Exeter apparently

Fascinating. He has been impressive with Connacht this season, but it's the insight into Exeter's recruitment policies that is really interesting.

They haven't played Connacht, Connacht haven't had a particularly great season [like 2015-16, for example] and O'Brien hasn't scored a dozen tries or anything. He's been good, but he hasn't been particularly eye-catching, like Coombes or Baloucoune, for example ... or like Tom Farrell was a couple of seasons ago.

I would have thought a guy like Farrell might be more of a target for them – exciting player, pro-ready, very much on furthest fringes of the international team and maybe ready to put that aside and concentrate on his club career. But to make a move for O'Brien really ups his value in my eyes. I think Baxter is an outstanding evaluator of talent.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Really surprised about that. Daly has obviously been great this season and Bundee clearly first choose, but outside of that you’ve got Robb and Farrell who are always injured and I thought SOB stepped up hugely.

He’s got a great attitude and was improving at a rate of knots, think he’ll be a big loss.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

He will have taken the view that when all Connacht's centres are fit, he's perceived currently as 6th in line. That's not necessarily the case of course and this season Connacht will have been glad of his and Tom Daly's durability given Bundee Aki's disciplinary woes and Robb being injured all season as usual and Farrell also out.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Tom Daly's durability
That's three words I never thought I'd see together but he's done great since he's gone there, it's the making of him.

As for SOB impressive scouting by Exeter that they have identified a player like him who will come cheap and has a high ceiling. Not to mention plays a similar style that Connacht do.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

What's the feeling regarding the Benetton game?
Positive, negative, quietly positive or just hopeful?
A Connacht win would blow the competition wide open which would be great.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Oldschool wrote: May 28th, 2021, 8:18 pm What's the feeling regarding the Benetton game?
Positive, negative, quietly positive or just hopeful?
A Connacht win would blow the competition wide open which would be great.
This was a very tight game back in February when Connacht stole it at the death with a try by Bundee from a maul. Treviso had been on a bad run of narrow defeats and managed to manufacture a Connacht victory out of pure naivety. At that point they were also weakened by the absence of those on international duty, including Garbisi. In fact Treviso had to play several permit players who are not regular squad members. Despite this they looked cohesive and good in defence.

Connacht now inhabit that cliche that used to belong to France - you never know which version will show up. Will their maul weakness reappear to be brutally exploited? At least the victory in Thomond was good for the soul, and that in Ravenhill was well earned.These teams played at full kelter in February and I think Friend has gotten his selection right for tomorrow: the pack is mobile, starting scrummagers are solid, Boyle, Dillane will be up for it athletically, and Murray and Prendergast have been really good. Papall'il will be brought on to do some damage. Back line is storng: scrum half is a luxury ride at Connacht and Fitzgerald has earned the 10 for now - Carty needs to recover his form. Will be interesting to see how Bundee performs, he hasn't had a good season for us IMHO, between the discipline driven absences and poor decision-making when he's been around.

Anyway, excuse the enthusiasm. this is going to be a very close game. Treviso are riding high, the very opposite of where they were in February. I think they're favourites and a better team than people give them credit for. They have home advantage and I think they'll win it, but it's 55-45 call. I couldn't imagine us beating Munster a couple of weeks ago either, so i hope to be proven wrong again!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Delighted with Benetton win and hugely impressed by Prendergast and that fabulous Marmion pass to Sullivan in the first half.

Fitzgerald and Bundee were well off the pace and played like they hadn't ever been introduced. The Connacht LHP misfortunes once they lost Buckley, coupled with some very inept refereeing of multiple scrum infringements ruined the flow of the game but Benetton just about deserved to win and, if they can reduce their unforced orders have enough to beat Ospreys & qualify for the Final, which would be great for this competition.

Connacht continue to flatter to deceive. How they can produce that performance to beat Munster and follow it with some of the rubbish they presented tonight, I'll never know. They have many decent players. When switched on they look tactically assured. When they show up for a game like this they produce a collection of brain farts which make defeat inevitable. Oh dearly me!
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Well deserved win for Treviso, bossed the gainline from start to finish and once they got their noses in front never looked like getting caught. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out between them and Ospreys.

My feelings on Connacht now we are nearing the end of the season are mixed. I think we needed this season and I hope we will see the benefits of it down the line.

Duggan, aungier, Murray, Dowling, prendergast, Sean Masterson and porch have all developed nicely and look like they could go really well next year.

Daly, blade, Boyle, delahunt, heffernan and thornberry have become senior players and leaders while some of our stalworths like bealham, Buckley, dillane and Masterson have continued playing really well and marmian has fought his way back to top dog for me.

On the negative o halloran, Healy, butler, Arnold, Oliver and bundi have had mixed years the first two are lucky based on form that they were in contract because they wouldn't have been signed if they weren't. Think they should be guiding the young backs through not phoning it in. Bundi has had a mixed bag what with int call ups, bans etc. Oliver and Arnold and butler are all solid and committed but need to find a way to influence games a bit more, not really a critique of them more just a, we could do with something a little different from them.

Papilli is a hard one, does exactly what we need while also exactly what we don't need. Here's hoping we can see more of the former and less if the latter. He could be a real cult hero at a full sports ground, timing of rule change doesn't help him.

I've left carty and Fitz to the end because I really like them both but feel that they can be a little hit and miss. Hard to win consistently without a steady hand on the rudder.

A good quality and character th lock and a top end 10 could have transformed us for next season.
Verdict: I think we sit in a group of 4 with ospreys, Glasgow, Cardiff slightly ahead of Edinburgh, dragons, Treviso and zebre.

Next season: find some consistency and learn to win ugly, trust the youth.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

hugonaut wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:06 am
sunshiner1 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 10:41 am Sean O'Brien the Connacht Centre is off to Exeter apparently

Fascinating. He has been impressive with Connacht this season, but it's the insight into Exeter's recruitment policies that is really interesting.

They haven't played Connacht, Connacht haven't had a particularly great season [like 2015-16, for example] and O'Brien hasn't scored a dozen tries or anything. He's been good, but he hasn't been particularly eye-catching, like Coombes or Baloucoune, for example ... or like Tom Farrell was a couple of seasons ago.

I would have thought a guy like Farrell might be more of a target for them – exciting player, pro-ready, very much on furthest fringes of the international team and maybe ready to put that aside and concentrate on his club career. But to make a move for O'Brien really ups his value in my eyes. I think Baxter is an outstanding evaluator of talent.

He is and they seem to have a recruitment strategy that they stick to. I had a look at their squad age profile and they've only 7 players 30 or older and most of those are fringe players. They usually like fairly physical players which guarantees a certain level of performance and the star players can add a little extra. SOB offers physicality at the very least and they've just signed a 135kg prop from NZ for next season.

https://all.rugby/club/exeter/squad
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

king wrote: May 30th, 2021, 7:47 pm Well deserved win for Treviso, bossed the gainline from start to finish and once they got their noses in front never looked like getting caught. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out between them and Ospreys.

My feelings on Connacht now we are nearing the end of the season are mixed. I think we needed this season and I hope we will see the benefits of it down the line.

Duggan, aungier, Murray, Dowling, prendergast, Sean Masterson and porch have all developed nicely and look like they could go really well next year.

Daly, blade, Boyle, delahunt, heffernan and thornberry have become senior players and leaders while some of our stalworths like bealham, Buckley, dillane and Masterson have continued playing really well and marmian has fought his way back to top dog for me.

On the negative o halloran, Healy, butler, Arnold, Oliver and bundi have had mixed years the first two are lucky based on form that they were in contract because they wouldn't have been signed if they weren't. Think they should be guiding the young backs through not phoning it in. Bundi has had a mixed bag what with int call ups, bans etc. Oliver and Arnold and butler are all solid and committed but need to find a way to influence games a bit more, not really a critique of them more just a, we could do with something a little different from them.

Papilli is a hard one, does exactly what we need while also exactly what we don't need. Here's hoping we can see more of the former and less if the latter. He could be a real cult hero at a full sports ground, timing of rule change doesn't help him.

I've left carty and Fitz to the end because I really like them both but feel that they can be a little hit and miss. Hard to win consistently without a steady hand on the rudder.

A good quality and character th lock and a top end 10 could have transformed us for next season.
Verdict: I think we sit in a group of 4 with ospreys, Glasgow, Cardiff slightly ahead of Edinburgh, dragons, Treviso and zebre.

Next season: find some consistency and learn to win ugly, trust the youth.
I think Connacht are going nowhere until they get in a really good 10. A Jimmy Gopperth from 2/3 years ago would have made such a difference.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Carty is unmovable at his level of the depth chart.