Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:29 pm Connacht Rugby can confirm Cormac Daly(North Kildare/Clontarf) has joined the province on a short-term deal.
He was with them before, if I recall correctly. Had a spell in NY with Major League Rugby recently. He was a good player at U20s, hopefully he can make an impact over the next while and push for a longer-term deal.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If I was a Connacht supporter I would be very proud, but terribly disappointed, by the result from Galway last night. And as for poor Matt Healy? Every professional player hopes for additions to their highlights reel from every game, but nobody deserves to have all the lowlights come in one game.

Despite having a couple of young Academy players in the starting lineup and playing in conditions which only Ireland's West Coast can conjure up, Connacht produced a performance across their Squad which deserved a win. Unfortunately, Scarlets' Johnny McNicholls' class, coupled with Healy's tragedies, deprived the Tribesmen of a just return for their efforts.

On the plus side, there were some excellent contributions from the team in green. Paul Boyle provided further proof that he must be counted among the Irish back-row strength at present. Paddy McAllister may be re-emerging into the loosehead ranking lists and Jack Aungier continued his progress towards the same status at tighthead. In conditions totally unsuited to a display of the abilities of a 6'9" second-row, Gavin Thornbury contributed well for every moment of the 80 minutes and lost nothing in comparision with his more illustrious partner Ultan Dillane.

Jack Carty would have hoped for a better performance to remind the Irish management of his credentials in the absense of Sexton. However, whilst his curate's egg performance might have warranted selection against the Georgians, it certainly won't have inspired risking him against England in Twickenham.

Overall, plenty more evidence of the good product from the Connacht coaching ticket but, a little bit like the hurling team, they need to take results from their performances to realise their potential and galvinise both their supporters and the next generation of players.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Two reds in Four games for their new guy. They need to teach this guy fast how to tackle properly in Union.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great to see Wooten cross the whitewash on 2 occasions.
He is a player that I believe has all of the skills needed to make the step up to international level, but has been unfortunate not to get a strong of games to show what he can do.

I know he is on loan, and I do hope that he returns to Munster, but I’d he doesn’t, I wish him the best of luck with Connacht, as I think he will progress really well there.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Connacht P-P Ospreys. One COVID case in the Welsh team's camp.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Watched a bit of their last game. Reilly looked very good and won motm. His passing was good but his kicking looked very good too and he is very quick. They seem to keep producing good scrum halves.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another excellent display in tough conditions by Connacht.

Jimmy Duffy is certainly a decent Forwards and Scrum Coach. Aungier and Paddy McAllister combined with Buckley, Bealham and Roberson McCoy and two good hookers give them real front-row depth with Roux, Dillane, Masterson and Thornbury giving them line-out and mauling expertise also. They could have a decent Eeuropean run.

Paul Boyle reeally has developed into a top class No 8 and with Jarred Butler aree two geenuine candidates for Irish back-row consideration.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The bodies missing because of Covid and close contacts are unnamed.

From the selection named, they are certainly going to miss McAlister and Thornbury up front. Playing R92, you need eight hard-nosed starters and five more coming off the bench.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

McAllister is playing for the Eagles.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Tough game ahead today.
Any kind of points would be an achievement.
Good luck.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Great effort by Connacht. Serious impact from their bench. Racing out on their feet in the end. Well played, unlucky not to win in the end.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another demonstration of how well coached are Connacht. International class displays by Dillane and Boyle. Great defence in second-half and another step-up for Aungier who is thriving on each upward move.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Boyle absolutely brilliant, Dillane excellent, thought Blade was superb when he came on, well down westies, can't wait to see Connacht take them on in (hopefully a wet and windswept Sportsground
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought Connacht were unlucky that Racing didn't get a yellow for that last high tackle. It looked bad to me and if he'd gone to the bin then that maul that was sacked from the penalty would have been missing a big lump of a second row.

Some poor defensive errors and an inability to stop the maul really cost them but they've gave it a great shot.

Boyle was outstanding and has to be in the Irish squad now. Impressed with Prendergast when he came on too. Aungier's carrying was superb and his progress is really encouraging. I'll hold my hand up and say I didn't think he was a loss for Leinster, hadn't been impressed with him since school and never thought he was a good scrummager (although I didn't notice that element of his game yesterday) but he made a huge impact yesteday. I know he's a tighthead but he reminded me a bit of Brendan Macken in that you wanted him to get involved as much as possible and really impact things but games seemed to pass them both by after their school days. It looks like something has clicked for Aungier though (and he looks much bigger) and he was really hungry to make an impression with his carrying.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 14th, 2020, 4:54 pm I thought Connacht were unlucky.........

Boyle was outstanding and has to be in the Irish squad now. Impressed with Prendergast when he came on too. Aungier's carrying was superb and his progress is really encouraging. I'll hold my hand up and say I didn't think he was a loss for Leinster, hadn't been impressed with him since school and never thought he was a good scrummager ....................It looks like something has clicked for Aungier though (and he looks much bigger) and he was really hungry to make an impression with his carrying.
Jimmy Duffy has done a great job with several forwards in recent years and Aungier is certainly progressing much faster than anticipated.

Although no names have been disclosed (and rightly so) if the absence of Thornbury was Covid-19 related it was hugely unfortunate as he has been playing superbly recently and they are thin in numbers at second row.

Connacht will do very well to challenge for Q/F place but they'd be worthy of a place and I really look forward to the Interpros and hope they have a full deck from which to select.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

If Boyle carries his current hugely impressive form through Christmas and the interpros, then it will be hard for Farrell to leave him out of the Six Nations squad, especially with Deegan and Conan out of the picture and Rhys Ruddock's face not fitting for whatever reason.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

betty swallocks wrote: December 15th, 2020, 9:36 am If Boyle carries his current hugely impressive form through Christmas and the interpros, then it will be hard for Farrell to leave him out of the Six Nations squad, especially with Deegan and Conan out of the picture and Rhys Ruddock's face not fitting for whatever reason.
He'll be a good bag holder for Ireland no doubt. No way Farrell has the cahonies to drop the undropables in the team for 6nations games.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If Fez and Easterbunny have a serious look at the display against R92, they really will have to include Dillane and Boyle as two of the most aggressive carriers in Irish rugby and both are also excellent line-out options. Stander was once a very effective carrier but has not displayed this skill in 2020.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 16th, 2020, 6:38 am If Fez and Easterbunny have a serious look at the display against R92, they really will have to include Dillane and Boyle as two of the most aggressive carriers in Irish rugby and both are also excellent line-out options. Stander was once a very effective carrier but has not displayed this skill in 2020.
Agree with this, international rugby (at present) seems to reward the team that takes the fewest risks. When a player is predictable he becomes too easy to shut down (even B Vunipola is seeing his influence greatly reduced). Every team is wise to Stander, he plays as the crow flies.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Not even an LBP for Conn so. You would imagine that's the end of the road for them in Europe this year so.