Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by sunshiner1 »

A big win by Connacht and that's two loses by the Bull's. I wonder what their fans are thinking of the new league now?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

sunshiner1 wrote:A big win by Connacht and that's two loses by the Bull's. I wonder what their fans are thinking of the new league now?
A Saffer told me once that the nearest thing we have in this part of the world to Bulls fans is the those genteel lads and lassies at Rodney Parade only more one eyed.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That was a very big win. After the Bulls went 0-7 up things were looking very ominous for the Westies. But not merely did they get up the other end for a converted try and a peno, but they also withstood three further visits to their 22 to go in 10-7 up at HT. Those three massive D shifts in the first half were the winning of the match for Andy Friend's lads, IMO. Jake White blaming the bad weather i nGaillimh for the Bulls' defeat is the icing on the cake!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

riocard911 wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 5:18 pm Jake White blaming the bad weather i nGaillimh for the Bulls' defeat is the icing on the cake!!!
Wasn't the first and won't be the last!
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

I'm curious to know if any Leinster fans have any thoughts on the progress of Cian Prendergast. Ever since stepping up in Paris at a time when he was only a few months into his first year in the academy, he has been a standout every time he's stepped on the pitch. I think he's starting to build a little hype in the media but largely flying under the radar still.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by scentofgunpowder

I'm curious to know if any Leinster fans have any thoughts on the progress of Cian Prendergast. Ever since stepping up in Paris at a time when he was only a few months into his first year in the academy, he has been a standout every time he's stepped on the pitch. I think he's starting to build a little hype in the media but largely flying under the radar still.
I was thinking the same thing recently. He's an Academy Year 2 player whose basically nailed down the number 6 jersey in Connacht. I haven't seen enough of him play but for his age profile and performances he's definitely on the right trajectory.
Last edited by sunshiner1 on October 4th, 2021, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I thought he was really good. There was an occasion in each half against the Bulls where he gave Connacht real attacking impetus out of carries that looked like they were going to be relatively run of the mill tackle, ruck, recycle’s but he broke the line and took out a few would be tacklers in the process leaving the Bulls all over the place. He definitely stood out, hopefully he can keep getting better. Thought Tom Farrell looked back to near his best as well which was good to see.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

sunshiner1 wrote: October 4th, 2021, 7:34 am
by scentofgunpowder

I was thinking the same thing recently. He's an Academy Year 2 player whose basically nailed down the number 6 jersey in Connacht. I haven't seen enough of him play but for his age profile and performances he's definitely on the right trajectory.
Just to clarify, Prendergast signed a senior contract last March. And he has been fantastic, will be very interesting to see him against his Leinster and Munster peers in the interpros. Now we need a bolter at 7, unless Jared or Conor Oliver stamp their name on that jersey.

If an Academy player is regularly lining out for the Senior side, will they typically receive a per game financial bonus?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/co ... 19040.html

Another impressive signing by Connacht
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Know nothing at all about this guy, but a 28 year old 120kg Samoan international LH who has been playing ITM Cup level sounds like a good profile.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by wixfjord

Know nothing at all about this guy, but a 28 year old 120kg Samoan international LH who has been playing ITM Cup level sounds like a good profile.
Was going to say the same. He's got all the attributes to be a big player for them. Hope he settles in fast. Friend hasn't made many bad signings for Connacht so you'd hope this guy will be another good one. My only worry is that he's taken a long time to be capped by Samoa.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dragons proving that last week was not solely about Leinster mistakes. They absorbed Connacht pressure in first half and conceded four kicks. But they have scored 4 tries in a second-half onslaught of multi-point attacks. Connacht have lost a few players to injuries but that doesn't explain the tries conceded.

17-32 with 10 mins remaining but Connacht have it all to do.

Now 22-32 as Carty misses another convert
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Not even a LNP for Connacht. That's a punch in the nads :shock:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote: October 9th, 2021, 7:10 pm Not even a LNP for Connacht. That's a punch in the nads :shock:
The fup is an LNP?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote: October 9th, 2021, 9:34 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: October 9th, 2021, 7:10 pm Not even a LNP for Connacht. That's a punch in the nads :shock:
The fup is an LNP?
Losing nobus point
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dragons first win in Galway since 2004.
The Ryan revolution?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

oppsie! :oops:
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

That is pathetic by Connacht. Once again they beat a big team and lose against a weaker one. How many times have we seen this? Unless they get some consistency they are just going around in circles.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: October 10th, 2021, 3:42 am That is pathetic by Connacht. Once again they beat a big team and lose against a weaker one. How many times have we seen this? Unless they get some consistency they are just going around in circles.
I am a closet Connacht fan and I travel to a few games a year with some friends.
I find it hard to put my finger on what is wrong with Connacht.
They probably don’t have the players to go out and win a HC, or to beat the better teams every day of the week, but they really should be beating most teams in the league all of the time.

They have a good squad, and looking at it they seem to have good dept in most positions and a largely unaffected by the IRFU game time management.

IMO Connacht have all of the ingredients to be a top 4 team most years.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Connacht's job is to be a good popular team that doesn't challenge the status of the other 3 provinces.

Big underdog wins and weak performances against rabble git their remit perfectly. The interpros are exciting and unduly hard fought. A high risk offloading game also makes sense.