Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by mildlyinterested »

Morf wrote: April 20th, 2021, 6:34 pm Isn't he a smaller but similar player to Kleyn?

Physical at rucks and scrums but not a great level at handling/avoiding contact if possible.
so a typical south african

maybe he is headed to Munster?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Maybe. He would be a massive blow to Connacht if he left. He's an amazing scrummager and a big asset there. Connacht are slipping down the rankings as it is and with all the investment done in him it would be a shame to see it go to waste.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ANDY FRIEND HAS hailed Connacht’s signing of Mack Hansen from Super Rugby side the Brumbies as “a real coup” for the province.
Hansen, who is Irish-qualified through his Cork mother, will arrive at the Sportsground this summer on a two-year deal.
The 23-year-old play across the back three or as out-half, and was ever present in the Brumbies’ shortened Super Rugby AU campaign this season, scoring three tries in eight games.
Interesting
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Connacht have done some really good buinsess the last couple of seasons, hopefully things start to come together for them.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Saw Mack Hansen playing for the Brumbies a couple of times this year. Looks a good signing. Had no idea he was Irish qualified.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

elephantman wrote: April 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm Saw Mack Hansen playing for the Brumbies a couple of times this year. Looks a good signing. Had no idea he was Irish qualified.
He's not. He's Cork qualified. A very different thing.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Glad for Connacht and I am sure he is the business but I'd be happier if they signed a quality forward.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done Connacht. Kept going, despite the odds, for the full 85 minutes. Great win for bald-headed never say die attitude. Great performances all over the pitch and some genuine prospects emerging. A couple of new names for National Depth Charts.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

Well done Connacht. Kept going, despite the odds, for the full 85 minutes. Great win for bald-headed never say die attitude. Great performances all over the pitch and some genuine prospects emerging. A couple of new names for National Depth Charts.
Didn't get to see the game. Who stood out for you?
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Daly excellent again at 12. I hope Farrell was watching Blade who had a great game. Dillane is at the top of his game, and Oliver at 7 had his best game of the season. On the debit side Duggan missed countless tackles and Carty was once again very poor.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 24th, 2021, 3:49 am
by Ruckedtobits

Didn't get to see the game. Who stood out for you?
Blade, Heffernan, Dillane, Thornbury, O'brien and Sullivan were all good and created energy & go-forward whenever they were carrying or tackling. Oliver was superb in defence and overall the Connacht D won the game over the 80 minutes.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Connacht's blitz defence seemed to unsettle Ulster although some of the tackles that Connacht players slipped off in the first half undermined it a bit. Substituting the likes of Henderson, Cooney, Burns and Stockdale early in the second half suggests that Ulster were probably a little less focused on the game than Connacht. Was still an excellent comeback from Connacht from a less than promising position.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by betty swallocks

On the debit side Duggan missed countless tackles
This is a worry of mine everytime I see Connacht play. I don't rate Duggan at all. Connacht really need a quality LH to compete against Buckley or be his back-up. The players they have there just aren't good enough.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

I'd disagree on Duggan, excellent in scrum and significantly better than Buckley at maul defence and carrying, doesn't give away the stupid penalties. I see your concern around tackling his lateral movement isn't great and he struggles to get his body moving but that's not unique to big props, defensive adjustment needed by the player outside him in the line. He's regularly at pillar in defence and tackles well to ruck side but a player running at pace at his outside shoulder has a good chance.

He missed two tackles of thus nature in the first 10 mins and early in the second half it looked like he missed a third but in fact he was covering for a heffernan and Masterson ( I think) miss and didn't quite get there. He was left flailing which is never a good look but wasn't his man.
Young prop lots of potential I wouldn't be rushing to write him off.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Agree King he is a reliable scrummager (it was obvious Connacht had problems in the scrum once he was replaced) and maybe it was just an off-day in the tackle stakes. Friend must see something in Duggan given he's letting McAllister go and is backing him as the competition to Buckley for the starting No1 shirt.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Glad to hear you guys rate him. I'll have to keep a closer eye on him next time I get to see him play.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

king wrote: April 27th, 2021, 8:48 am I'd disagree on Duggan, excellent in scrum and significantly better than Buckley at maul defence and carrying, doesn't give away the stupid penalties. I see your concern around tackling his lateral movement isn't great and he struggles to get his body moving but that's not unique to big props, defensive adjustment needed by the player outside him in the line. He's regularly at pillar in defence and tackles well to ruck side but a player running at pace at his outside shoulder has a good chance.

He missed two tackles of thus nature in the first 10 mins and early in the second half it looked like he missed a third but in fact he was covering for a heffernan and Masterson ( I think) miss and didn't quite get there. He was left flailing which is never a good look but wasn't his man.
Young prop lots of potential I wouldn't be rushing to write him off.
Yeah, I think that he has the makings of a good pro: he's strong, fit, competitive and a good worker. He reminds me of Emmet Byrne, actually. He's not a naturally massive galoot, but he has built up pretty good size for the position through hard-headedness and diligence. He was a good age-grade prop - 14 [12+2] Irish U20 caps over three tournaments.

That sort of body of work at U20 level would normally be enough to get you into the Leinster Academy, but at the time we had lots of young props on the books [Porter obviously, but also Jerry Loughman and Oisin Heffernan]. Good piece of recruitment for Connacht and he should be a long-term player for them.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 30th, 2021, 5:27 pm Image
controversial enough, anyone know the background?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Must've crossed paths in Grenoble judging by their wiki pages. No additional context though.