Sport and Social Media - who is doing it best?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Sport and Social Media - who is doing it best?

Post by Dave Cahill »

Marketing Agency, Red Hot Penny, compared a number of sports and clubs from across the UK and Ireland in terms of their social media activity and fan engagement with those activities and produced this interesting (if thats your kind of thing) report

https://www.redhotpenny.com/wp-content/ ... -Final.pdf
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Sport and Social Media - who is doing it best?

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I had a quick flick through it, thanks. I was thinking about this recently because I noticed Leinster (who do well in that report) putting out some very good content for the women's team but had fairly poor view counts. Golf isn't mentioned in it but the European Tour has made some absolutely brilliant videos recently but the views for those weren't great either.

I know it's a subjective thing but even leaving that aside for a second, they clearly put a lot of effort into them (Leinster brought in a brilliant video producer a year or two ago) and I wonder if it's worth that effort? It seems to me as if quality and innovation don't actually matter all that much, it's more about following trends like memes etc.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I don't follow too many teams on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook, and I never follow individual athletes. I follow the teams I support - Ireland (rugby), Leinster, Shels and Meath - plus a handful of clubs in Korea because of work related stuff. I found some of the content in that link interesting. Leinster's total followers in larger than almost every single club not in soccer but that should be too much of a surprise given how people people live in the province and how many fans of other teams like to follow multiple teams on social media. I've come really close to unfollowing Leinster many times though because I don't think they enough material to keep me engaged and then a lot of what they do post is annoying or embarrassing. I hate the overuse of "the lads" and referring to the players on a first name basis. "Garry with the break, a great off-load to Jordan who sprints clear and puts Dave away in the corner. Ross converts, and the lads lead 14-0." But because I don't follow any other Pro14 club I've no idea if that's just the norm and if their content is as frequent as everyone else's. I really don't know, though, if they could be doing anything more or anything better. Their engagement rate on Facebook seems really low.

I noticed one bizarre error. Munster are a Super League team with a stadium capacity of 8,008 on page 25.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

suisse wrote:I don't follow too many teams on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook, and I never follow individual athletes. I follow the teams I support - Ireland (rugby), Leinster, Shels and Meath - plus a handful of clubs in Korea because of work related stuff. I found some of the content in that link interesting. Leinster's total followers in larger than almost every single club not in soccer but that should be too much of a surprise given how people people live in the province and how many fans of other teams like to follow multiple teams on social media. I've come really close to unfollowing Leinster many times though because I don't think they enough material to keep me engaged and then a lot of what they do post is annoying or embarrassing. I hate the overuse of "the lads" and referring to the players on a first name basis. "Garry with the break, a great off-load to Jordan who sprints clear and puts Dave away in the corner. Ross converts, and the lads lead 14-0." But because I don't follow any other Pro14 club I've no idea if that's just the norm and if their content is as frequent as everyone else's. I really don't know, though, if they could be doing anything more or anything better. Their engagement rate on Facebook seems really low.

I noticed one bizarre error. Munster are a Super League team with a stadium capacity of 8,008 on page 25.
8008 is the official capacity of Musgrave Park - could be that it's just an input error.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I wonder if primary school kids still input 8008 into calculators for hilarity.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Laighin Break wrote:I wonder if primary school kids still input 8008 into calculators for hilarity.
"58008"

(I'm guessing)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We never did that. Cause it wasn't as funny on an abacus
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:We never did that. Cause it wasn't as funny on an abacus
Don't believe you John...

¦--00--------00-------00--------00--------000---¦
¦--0---0---0---0----0---0-----0---0------0-------¦
¦--0---0---0---0----0---0-----0---0------0-------¦
¦--0-0-----0---0----0---0-----0-0--------00------¦
¦--0---0---0---0----0---0-----0---0----------0---¦
¦--0---0---0---0----0---0-----0---0----------0---¦
¦--00--------00-------00--------00-------000----¦
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hmmmm. That's a lot of hassle to go to to see Boobs.