Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by munster#1 »

The laughing emoji really adds to the substance of this discussion.

This is a must win game, to assume that we would beat any team, regardless of how poor you perceive them to be, would be suicidal and very disrespectful of the opposition.

Munster would have selected this team early in the week, and planned accordingly in training.
Sure, there may have been murmurings in the press early in the week that Connacht were going to change it up, but again, to believe that would have been suicidal.

There is a strong possibility that at least 1 of the perceived starting lineup will get injured this week, as most players are lacking minutes in the legs, but it is a risk that has to be taken.

It is easy to make light of this game, and slate a coach for not making wholesale changes, but a loss on Sunday is the end of the road.
There are enough enforced changes.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 2:16 pm

It is easy to make light of this game, and slate a coach for not making wholesale changes, but a loss on Sunday is the end of the road.
Once again, I didn't do that.

You love an auld strawman argument don't you?

It's not a 'risk that has to be taken'.

To believe that switching in JOD for POM or CJ, Marshall for Scannell or Gallagher for one of the back three is 'suicidal and very disrespectful of the opposition' is total nonsense, particularly with a semi final in 5 days and with conditioning clearly not where it needs to be yet.

But hey, I don't particularly mind if JVG decides he wants to play guys twice in five days.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: August 28th, 2020, 3:47 pm
munster#1 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Once again, I didn't do that.

You love an auld strawman argument don't you?

It's not a 'risk that has to be taken'.

To believe that switching in JOD for POM or CJ, Marshall for Scannell or Gallagher for one of the back three is 'suicidal and very disrespectful of the opposition' is total nonsense, particularly with a semi final in 5 days and with conditioning clearly not where it needs to be yet.

But hey, I don't particularly mind if JVG decides he wants to play guys twice in five days.
Munster have made 8 changes from last weeks 23 either enforced or tactical, and your posts suggests that more should have been made, 8 being just over 1/3 of the squad.
IMO it’s Fair to say that more than that would be whole sale, or excessive, or whatever other word you would chose to use.

IMO JOD would be a step down from POM or CJ, Marshall would weaken the scrum as he is not as powerful a scrummager from what I have heard.

These changes would weaken the team, and in a must win game it would be foolish if any coach did that.
If you believe that this is nonsense, then I will respect your opinion and beg to differ.

IMO, Thinking about a semi final before you get there is suicidal, just like Ireland in the RWC before the Japan game.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

My take is that starting 12/13 guys who you'll be starting again in 5 days just doesn't make sense. Especially since 10 of them have played the week before.

If you can't trust JOD or Marshall to come in for a game like this then I don't know when you can. To me it's another example of short sightedness and not using resources wisely.

I suppose we'll see whether it's short sighted or not over the next few weeks.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Its a max of 4 games in 6 months - it's just that all the games are over a 3 week period.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:02 pm My take is that starting 12/13 guys who you'll be starting again in 5 days just doesn't make sense. Especially since 10 of them have played the week before.

If you can't trust JOD or Marshall to come in for a game like this then I don't know when you can. To me it's another example of short sightedness and not using resources wisely.

I suppose we'll see whether it's short sighted or not over the next few weeks.
It’s not that I wouldn’t expect them to come in for a knock out game and do well, just that I don’t think you should field a weakened team in a knock out game, especially when it’s already been severely weakened by injury.

I would rather a coach risks having tired legs in a semifinal, than risk not getting to a semifinal.
Put another way, when you are in the knock out stages, with nothing else to play for, then you play your best 23.

I think on this one we will have to agree to disagree.
Last edited by munster#1 on August 28th, 2020, 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Duplicate
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I hope all these arguments are fresh in Munster supporters minds when in 2/3 years time they're still scrabbling around for recruits from other provinces or NIQ/E foreign imports to bolster a squad that lacks quality.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Returning from 5/6 months off is very hard to work out how to play guy. An awful amount of guys need minutes of game time to get match sharpness. Scannell for instance always strikes me as a confidence player. Giving him more game time to wash out the memories of some of the Knockons last week for instance. Also pom and cj are likely to be hauled off bout 45/50 mins with jod and jos coming on.

I think the 23 makes sense. Perhaps we’ll even see beirne getting minutes at 6.

Gallagher on for earls at a similar time frame

Edit Gallagher obv not in the 23 🤦‍♂️
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Again
Last edited by munster#1 on August 29th, 2020, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Morf wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:27 pm I hope all these arguments are fresh in Munster supporters minds when in 2/3 years time they're still scrabbling around for recruits from other provinces or NIQ/E foreign imports to bolster a squad that lacks quality.
Sure all 4 provinces sign players from other provinces, and sign NIQ/E imports to bolster their squads that lack quality.
Even Leinster who are in the middle of their golden generation for player development are likely to have 5 or 6 signings in their 23 in a big game.

I don’t think I’ll live to see one of the provinces win a HC with a fully home grown squad.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: August 28th, 2020, 3:47 pm
I’m not a huge fan of breaking more internationals.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:27 am
Morf wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:27 pm I hope all these arguments are fresh in Munster supporters minds when in 2/3 years time they're still scrabbling around for recruits from other provinces or NIQ/E foreign imports to bolster a squad that lacks quality.
Sure all 4 provinces sign players from other provinces, and sign NIQ/E imports to bolster their squads that lack quality.
Even Leinster who are in the middle of their golden generation for player development are likely to have 5 or 6 signings in their 23 in a big game.

I don’t think I’ll live to see one of the provinces win a HC with a fully home grown squad.
Leinster imported 1 player in 3 seasons, and Tomane was a quick signing after we lost Carbery on no notice. We wouldn’t have signed him if Carbery had stayed. We export many more players than we import.

How many players did Munster import? Team is often mostly imports now.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Really looking forward to tomorrow’s game.
I’ve a table booked, and just hoping that there aren’t so many stoppages that my time in the pub runs out.

Really looking forward to seeing if DeAllande and Farrell can build on their impressive partnership.
The loss of Snyman and Kleyn is massive, but Beirne and Fineen offer a very dynamic duo.

The breakdown should be hotly contested with so many poachers in the starting 15.

Definitely not counting chickens before they hatch, but it would be great if Munster can open up the score line early on, allowing for Casey to come on at the 50 minute mark and just play heads up rugby.
He really is a hot prospect, and last week shows how he can be used as an great impact sub.

Hopefully Daly can get some time on the ball this week, he has massive potential to go with his fairly big frame.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

..... never mind...
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Bad tackle, should be a red.

Hope Murray okay.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Connacht's discipline has been really poor.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

This is a desperate game....
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Thank god JVG didn't field a 'weakened' team here eh?!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Jaysus, what a farce of a game. Time to switch it off...
Dont Panic!