Connacht 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Post by Dave Cahill »

If he's on the move anyway and Scott Fardy's contract is up, then why not sound him out about moving east of the Shannon?
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

Now that's an interesting move. It's been quite a while since he was at his best (two years?) and obviously he's had a rough time in his personal life, I reckon a move like this could be the best thing for him. They're a good side, seem to be going places, and I suspect that the pack they have and their style of play would allow him to get back to what he did best a couple of seasons ago. Obviously he'd need to be replaced and there's a chance he'd never come back, but I think that could be a great move for all concerned.
He's had the most minutes for a second rower in Connacht this season so form or not he's getting played by them. He hasn't hit peak form then when he broke out two years ago but he's not far off it either. If he does go I'd say it would be personal circumstances rather than club unhappiness. It depends if he wants to keep pushing for Irish honours I suppose.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Wow that would be a brilliant move for Dillane. Their pitch would really suit him too, albeit not sure he would deal with the more attritional away games in France too well.

I'd definitely take him at Leinster!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by LeRouxIsPHat

Now that's an interesting move. It's been quite a while since he was at his best (two years?) and obviously he's had a rough time in his personal life, I reckon a move like this could be the best thing for him. They're a good side, seem to be going places, and I suspect that the pack they have and their style of play would allow him to get back to what he did best a couple of seasons ago. Obviously he'd need to be replaced and there's a chance he'd never come back, but I think that could be a great move for all concerned.
He's had the most minutes for a second rower in Connacht this season so form or not he's getting played by them. He hasn't hit peak form then when he broke out two years ago but he's not far off it either. If he does go I'd say it would be personal circumstances rather than club unhappiness. It depends if he wants to keep pushing for Irish honours I suppose.
Can you really see him getting back into the Irish side though? I'm not sure he has the all court game for a test level player as it stands. Behind the obvious front four there's Roux, Treadwell and soon Kleyn.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by LeRouxIsPHat

Did I say he was unhappy at Connacht? All I was saying was that it's a great opportunity.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by wixfjord

Can you really see him getting back into the Irish side though? I'm not sure he has the all court game for a test level player as it stands. Behind the obvious front four there's Roux, Treadwell and soon Kleyn.
Yes. He was going to start the first game of the six nations for us until his mom died so he's obviously rated highly.
by LeRouxIsPHat

Did I say he was unhappy at Connacht? All I was saying was that it's a great opportunity.
Didn't mean to imply that you did
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Connacht will be disappointed with the result but shouldn't be too upset about the performance. To run Munster to 7 points without Buckley, Butler or Bundee and without Bealham starting, was a really good performance. Carty and Blade gave another excellent display whilst Daly and Farrell gave the Munster defence plenty to think about all night.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tom Daly was impressive. Showed he can compete at that level.

Farrell is immense. Will be knocking on the door of Irish squad in 6N. I know Chris Farrell is only back but he outplayed him completely last night.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:Tom Daly was impressive. Showed he can compete at that level.

Farrell is immense. Will be knocking on the door of Irish squad in 6N. I know Chris Farrell is only back but he outplayed him completely last night.
Totally agree. He is producing the form that his figures indicated last season but now that ability is registering on the scoreboard. His break to put Kelleher in last night was as good, in a confined space, as any Irish centre this Season.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I'd imagine that Stephen Fitzgerald will be offered a permanent move now that Kelleher is coming back to Leinster.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote:I'd imagine that Stephen Fitzgerald will be offered a permanent move now that Kelleher is coming back to Leinster.

They should go for Calvin Nash too. Another signing who would be ideal for Connacht is Josh Murphy but I doubt he'll go there. They looked a little lightweight up front against Munster.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by dropkick

They should go for Calvin Nash too. Another signing who would be ideal for Connacht is Josh Murphy but I doubt he'll go there. They looked a little lightweight up front against Munster.
Josh Murphy would be good but if Connacht do for a backrower it would be a seven. They approched Will Connors last year and I heard covetous talk in the stands about making Scott Penny an offer (just fan talk nothing else). Connacht have a few good 6's coming through so while Murphy would be an assett I don't think he would be a high one on the list fro them to approach.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

I think Connacht have sufficient strength in the back row with Butler (6,7,8), Fainga'a (7), Copeland (6,8) Masterson (6), SOB2 (6,7) Boyle (6,8), Connolly (7), and McKeon (6,8). Their needs in the pack are at LHP to compete with Buckley and back three to cover Kelleher's departure.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dillane staying in Connacht until 2021.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:Dillane staying in Connacht until 2021.
That's good news for Ireland, Connacht and Dillane. Well done to his Agent and well done to Ultan for producing performances off the bench which indicated what he has to offer.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

There's a lot of releived people in Galway right now.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Former Ulster LHP Paddy McAllister joining Connacht from Gloucester for next season.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neill_m wrote:Former Ulster LHP Paddy McAllister joining Connacht from Gloucester for next season.
Good signing in my view and a guy who will benefit from:
a) Time working with Jimmy Duffy and Andy Friend and the Connacht Squad and
b) Regular game-time and competitive scrum training.

Another player who would fit into the same category, if he still has the appetite he had previously, is Jack O'Connell, late of this Parish and currently believed to be with Ealing Trailfinders. Both of these guys should just be coming to their prime as Props, age wise.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

When I saw on twitter that he was moving back to Ireland I just assumed it would be to Ulster, wonder if they have a Leinster LH lined up then?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Rumour that Buckley is off to either Bristol or France.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles