Connacht 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Connacht 2018-19

Post by cormac »

I assume the Paul Boyle who's playing 8 for Connacht is the same Paul Boyle who played for Leinster A a couple of seasons ago?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Post by Oldschool »

Stating the obvious but Jack Carty's place kicking is going to cost Connacht.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

cormac wrote:I assume the Paul Boyle who's playing 8 for Connacht is the same Paul Boyle who played for Leinster A a couple of seasons ago?

Saw him for the Ireland U20s last year. He captained the side but looked fairly ordinary and it wasn't a surprise to me when Leinster didn't offer him an academy place.

Just goes to show the different ceilings those players can have. Boyle came through the club route if I'm not mistaken. He might have been playing catch up to schools players. The improvements hes made in a year is very impressive.

Connacht playing some great stuff so far. They look up for it this season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought he was good for the 20's, just very unlucky that we have so many players there already.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Connacht (v Edinburgh):

15. Tiernan O’Halloran
14. Niyi Adeolokun
13. Eoin Griffin
12. Kyle Godwin
11. Matt Healy
10. Jack Carty
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Conán O’Donnell
2. Dave Heffernan
3. Finlay Bealham
4. Gavin Thornbury
5. Ultan Dillane
6. Sean O’Brien
7. Jarrad Butler (captain)
8. Paul Boyle

Replacements

16. Shane Delahunt
17. Peter McCabe
18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
19. James Cannon
20. Colby Fainga’a
21. Caolin Blade
22. Craig Ronaldson
23. Bundee Aki
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Connacht at Edinburgh are finding it tough going but are giving it everything.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote:Connacht at Edinburgh are finding it tough going but are giving it everything.
Miles better than the Munster game
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great result at the Sportsground. Really good performances from the entire Squad but Bundee is some operator and Sean O'Brien II is playing like the original

Carty has matured in a real solid, Elwood-like, out-half. Looks for opportunities for others and executes well. Blade produced another nice cameo. These guys have a very good bench in key positions.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Great result at the Sportsground. Really good performances from the entire Squad but Bundee is some operator and Sean O'Brien II is playing like the original

Carty has matured in a real solid, Elwood-like, out-half. Looks for opportunities for others and executes well. Blade produced another nice cameo. These guys have a very good bench in key positions.
Regarding Bundee. Did anyone else see the incident in the 1st half, a scuffle for the ball after the whistle, Bundee wrestles the ball off a Scarlets player, stares at him and then throws the ball with force at the Scarlets player? I thought for sure he was going to get a card. But the ref did nothing and the Scarlets players did not protest too much either tbh.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

blockhead wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Great result at the Sportsground. Really good performances from the entire Squad but Bundee is some operator and Sean O'Brien II is playing like the original

Regarding Bundee. Did anyone else see the incident in the 1st half, a scuffle for the ball after the whistle, Bundee wrestles the ball off a Scarlets player, stares at him and then throws the ball with force at the Scarlets player? I thought for sure he was going to get a card. But the ref did nothing and the Scarlets players did not protest too much either tbh.
Marched us back 10 metres IIRC.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Bit of a sly dig from Cullen(?):

"We know Connacht and the intent that they come with. They’ve a lot of players that have come through the Leinster system at different stages, so we know that they’re always very, very motivated when they play against us."

http://www.the42.ie/cian-healy-leinster ... 1-Sep2018/
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

No. Not Cullen's way to send in a sly dig like that. It's true, and they are. Cullen played against Connacht teams in the old days when they'd roll over against Dragons but come out all guns blazing for us. That's all.

Thought Bundee was outstanding the other night, really hard to deal with. Our midfield defence hasn't been that great so he's a real test coming up.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

None of the Provinces relish playing Connacht especially at the Show Ground as they are always expected to win but the players and coaches all know that this is a potential banana skin.

If they win the fans attitude is sure it was only Connacht you beat and if they lose then they never should have been beaten by Connacht. Many of The Fans in the other provincesmay have a soft spot for Connacht when they are playing one of the other Pro 14 teams but not when it comes to their own Province.
Personally I dread the day when eventually after over 50 years they get a victory at the Kingspan. They have come close in the past but so far Ulster have held out.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Aird wrote:None of the Provinces relish playing Connacht especially at the Show Ground as they are always expected to win but the players and coaches all know that this is a potential banana skin.

If they win the fans attitude is sure it was only Connacht you beat and if they lose then they never should have been beaten by Connacht. Many of The Fans in the other provincesmay have a soft spot for Connacht when they are playing one of the other Pro 14 teams but not when it comes to their own Province.
Personally I dread the day when eventually after over 50 years they get a victory at the Kingspan. They have come close in the past but so far Ulster have held out.
Short term pain Aird but it'll be a weight off your shoulders. Those type of records become the proverbial millstone for all concerned. It's no wonder the scots gave the all blacks a fright last year so soon after ireland beating them for the first time
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

tomthefan wrote:
Aird wrote:None of the Provinces relish playing Connacht especially at the Show Ground as they are always expected to win but the players and coaches all know that this is a potential banana skin.

Short term pain Aird but it'll be a weight off your shoulders. Those type of records become the proverbial millstone for all concerned. It's no wonder the scots gave the all blacks a fright last year so soon after ireland beating them for the first time
Connacht still have a mental block when it comes to Ulster. There were years when a Connacht team had Ulster in the table, and in a position to take the European cup spot, they just couldn't close the deal and the 8 point swing was massive in the context of the league table.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

I presume Cian Healy will be playing this weekend! :lol:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

tomthefan wrote:I presume Cian Healy will be playing this weekend! :lol:
He's on kicking duty.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Schumi wrote:
tomthefan wrote:I presume Cian Healy will be playing this weekend! :lol:
He's on kicking duty.
And if he was, sure it wouldn't be disrespectful to anyone.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Last weekend I wondered about the improvement in the Connacht scrum against Leinster. They never quite dominated us but Bealham caused Cian some inconvenience and Buckley appears to do the same on the tight-head side without any direct result.

Tonight's performance against a much more callow pair of props, albeit with king Rory in the middle, was a clear demonstration as to just how much improved is that Green scrum.

If Jimmy Duffy is the main reason behind that improvement, Ireland may well have found Greg Feek's home-grown successor. Furthermore, Bealham has now demonstrated that he is clearly the best tight-head outside Leinster and Buckley the best loose-head outside our Province.

However, overall, the technical excellence of the Connacht scrum and maul will serve them very well in their Pro14 Season.

Finally, what about Timoney's speed in the 80th minutes of a fast intense game. There's no other Irish back-row who could run away from Bundee Aki and Adyoluken whilst in possession and being hunted down. Very impressive.
Icarus
Knowledgeable

Post by Icarus »

Bravo. The last time Connacht won in Ravenhill the Beatles were hardly known outside Liverpool.