The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by TrapperChamonix »

sunshiner1 wrote:I hope Munster take this chance and put in a CEO with serious business acumen. The amateur guys are retiring now so now is the time for new blood to come in from outside and not another blazer from within.
Jeeze dude, now's not the time to be having a pop!
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:I hope Munster take this chance and put in a CEO with serious business acumen. The amateur guys are retiring now so now is the time for new blood to come in from outside and not another blazer from within.
Jeeze dude, now's not the time to be having a pop!

He's right though.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

His record is pretty good compared to most other professional clubs though. In 4 Hcup finals and regular semi-finalists. Its Munster Fans expectations that are really wide of the mark.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

olaf the fat wrote:
His record is pretty good compared to most other professional clubs though. In 4 Hcup finals and regular semi-finalists. Its Munster Fans expectations that are really wide of the mark.
Thomond Park, although still not paid for, is one of the finest club rugby grounds in Europe, surpassed now by Racing's one I suppose.
Some think its too big, but it's full on enough occasions to justify it.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:After 20 or so years Garrett Fitzgerald is to retire from Munster. Had been out with illness of late, best of luck to the man.
+1
Did a great job in driving the Province from an amateur ethos and facilitated them becoming European Champions, despite the dual-base structure which ultimately derailed the Province in so many ways, financially, talent development and spectator support when times got tougher.

Allowing Limerick to acheive primacy as the "centre" of Munster Rugby was orchestrated outside his control but Garrett kept the rugby direction going forward as long as possible, despite poor decisions elsewhere.

Hope he recovers from his illness and enjoys his deserved retirement.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Graham Rowntree signs as TPFKAM forwards coach til 2022. Not a bad addition! Joins post RWC.

https://www.the42.ie/graham-rowntree-mu ... 6-Jun2019/
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Munster Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to confirm Graham Rowntree will join the province as forwards coach on completion of his duties with Georgia Rugby in the Rugby World Cup.

Munster Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to confirm Graham Rowntree will join the province as forwards coach on completion of his duties with Georgia Rugby in the Rugby World Cup.
A highly experienced coach with a wealth of experience at Test level and across the Premiership, Rowntree, who is currently forwards coach for Georgia Rugby, has signed with the province until June 2022.
Commenting on the appointment, Acting CEO Philip Quinn said, “We are really pleased to have secured Graham in such a timely manner. The Professional Game Board and Johann have been tirelessly working on our coaching appointments for the past month and to secure a coach of Graham’s calibre is a credit to the work going on behind the scenes.
“We believe Graham is a fantastic appointment for the province as he brings a wealth of experience from an extensive list of top-level coaching positions, and will add further value to our coaching ticket.
“We understand there is more work to be done on the coaching front, and we will continue in our search for experienced coaches to join Johann and the province.”
Looking forward to joining the province, Rowntree said, “I’m delighted to be joining such a prestigious club. Although fully committed to Georgia until the end of the World Cup, I’m really looking forward to working with Johann and his team.”
Having managed and coached elite players at Premiership and international level, Rowntree was assistant coach on the 2009, 2013 and 2017 British and Irish Lions Tours.
He held the roles of assistant coach and forwards coach with England Rugby over a seven-year period, and has previously worked as forwards coach with Premiership sides Harlequins and Leicester Tigers.

Donal Lenihan quoted to be saying he has already really bought in to the Munster way.....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I find it strange that they've hired a coach who won't be around for pre season, and if Howley gets the attack gig then he'll be the same and it could be a right mess.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I find it strange that they've hired a coach who won't be around for pre season, and if Howley gets the attack gig then he'll be the same and it could be a right mess.
I suppose it's a long-term vs short term argument. Rowntree has a very strong coaching CV to his name. My feeling is that Flannery was doing a very reasonable job as forwards coach anyway though, so there won't be that many gains available to Rowntree. Obviously it'll help van Graan to get another senior coaching voice to talk things through with, but they didn't really have any issues with the performance of their forwards as a unit. Good set-pieces, good over the ball, good maul, decent ruck-to-ruck. Much bigger issues in backline and attack.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

Munster: Carbery and Nick McCarthy should move to Munster, he'll get more game time and will develop his skills, help unlock our back line and we'll be a powerhouse

12 months later: Munster are still ineffective, backs are still very limited, attack is lacking any creativity, Carbery isn't developing (but not getting worse), medical joker signed on for full year ahead of NMC.

Munster's excuse: We need to deviate from our forwards dominant game plan, it's traditional Munster but we need more strings to our bow, we'll hire a backs coach to help Felix and we'll kick on from here, Carbery will get loads of game time and will develop into a world class back and this will benefit Ireland

Jones and Flannery both unexpectedly quit, Munster hire Graham Rowntree while an amazing coach this is effectively doubling the f%~k down on their forwards dominated game plan (and he won't join until after the RWC) and rumours of Rob Howley coming in as backs coach, which could have hilarious results (especially with Robin McBryde knowing him very well from their tenure in the Welsh coaching setup)

Maybe there will be results down the line but for next year I predict another two Semi Finals at best, depending on the pools it could be one quarter and one semi.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Mathewson hasn't signed on for a full year, current contract is until end of WC.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

wixfjord wrote:Mathewson hasn't signed on for a full year, current contract is until end of WC.
When did he start though?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I don't think they are getting Howley. They are getting someone from a lot further south.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

johng wrote:I don't think they are getting Howley. They are getting someone from a lot further south.
Where?

Barry?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Canberra
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Larkham and Rowentree coaching together, advising a thirty something year old South African coach sounds like the start of a comedy sketch.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Mathewson hasn't signed on for a full year, current contract is until end of WC.
When did he start though?
He's not signed on for a full year ahead of McCarthy.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

But he does appear to be signed for the period of time when Mccarthy would be looking to be getting his main playing experience.
don't think you'd see us signing an outhalf to cover Sexton going to the world Cup.

In fact it's not that long ago that Sexton and Carbery were injured playing for Ireland and Marsh was also injured leaving us with one senior outhalf, an untried one, and we were told to get on with it and no injury cover. That we also got punished for getting on with what we have just makes the hypocrisy funnier.

Okay, to be fair, Sexton wasn't actually injured according to the IRFU, but we weren't allowed to play him. Again, the ironing...
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote:But he does appear to be signed for the period of time when Mccarthy would be looking to be getting his main playing experience.
don't think you'd see us signing an outhalf to cover Sexton going to the world Cup.

In fact it's not that long ago that Sexton and Carbery were injured playing for Ireland and Marsh was also injured leaving us with one senior outhalf, an untried one, and we were told to get on with it and no injury cover. That we also got punished for getting on with what we have just makes the hypocrisy funnier.

Okay, to be fair, Sexton wasn't actually injured according to the IRFU, but we weren't allowed to play him. Again, the ironing...
Senior? We were 2 deep in the academy with our season on the line.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote:But he does appear to be signed for the period of time when Mccarthy would be looking to be getting his main playing experience.

And still Munster didn't get a Heino home QF or a Pro14 Home semi this season. They need those to pay off the TP debt.
8 years without a trophy.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!