Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by Dave Cahill »

Rory Best will be retiring from Professional Rugby after the world cup - there was some doubt as to whether he was just stepping down from the international game, but he has clarified that its all pro rugby
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by Peg Leg

Moore out for remainder of the season. Big blow, he's looked tidy
Was wondering when no one mentioned it when he went off 10 minutes in. Gutted for the guy he was in a rich vein of form and a key man for Ulster.
Was a lot of his problem at Leinster (and wasps too I think). A brilliant prop, no doubt but he just can't seem to put a run of good health together.

Actually, I think the last run he's had was as long as I could remember.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Stockdale a doubt for any remaining matches, Best may appear at Connacht match for last home run out.
Cave as captain this weekend in what will probably bring to a close his 13 year spell with Ulster and also his retirement from rugby.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great to see the emergence of Marcus Rea from the Ulster Academy. A player a little in the mould of Steven Ferris, perhaps not yet as explosive, and with excellent basic skills. Really good to see this from an Ulster and Irish perspective. The Ulster Academy is getting back to doing what it should have been at for the past decade, producing and developing hard-nosed Ulster forwards from among the Schools and Clubs who have always nurtured the game.

McFarland and his fellow Coaches have clearly got a good idea of what they're looking for and, although it certainly increases the workload, integrating Academy players into Senior training is the best route for "proving-up" the young contenders. Traditionally the view was to keep Academy players on a separate development pathway for up to three years. But, with the acceleration of S&C development at Schools and Underage levels over the past three years, it is clear that younger players have a bigger appetite and aptitude for improvement than was ever suspected.

So, well done Marcus Rea and well done Ulster Academy. But, not too many more like him I hope, from a Leinster perspective.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Great to see the emergence of Marcus Rea from the Ulster Academy. A player a little in the mould of Steven Ferris, perhaps not yet as explosive, and with excellent basic skills. Really good to see this from an Ulster and Irish perspective. The Ulster Academy is getting back to doing what it should have been at for the past decade, producing and developing hard-nosed Ulster forwards from among the Schools and Clubs who have always nurtured the game.

McFarland and his fellow Coaches have clearly got a good idea of what they're looking for and, although it certainly increases the workload, integrating Academy players into Senior training is the best route for "proving-up" the young contenders. Traditionally the view was to keep Academy players on a separate development pathway for up to three years. But, with the acceleration of S&C development at Schools and Underage levels over the past three years, it is clear that younger players have a bigger appetite and aptitude for improvement than was ever suspected.

So, well done Marcus Rea and well done Ulster Academy. But, not too many more like him I hope, from a Leinster perspective.
I hope they do produce more players. The fact that themselves and the Munster have not produced quality players is the reason our squad is being dismantled by the IRFU.
Our bench is going to look very youthful for the Heino final if Cronin and Ruddock don't recover. Last year we had Jordi and Joey to cover.
With Jack, Sean, Noel, RobK (possibly)going and Dan out for a long time our supposed "massive depth" will be a thing of the past.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Great to see the emergence of Marcus Rea from the Ulster Academy. A player a little in the mould of Steven Ferris, perhaps not yet as explosive, and with excellent basic skills. Really good to see this from an Ulster and Irish perspective. The Ulster Academy is getting back to doing what it should have been at for the past decade, producing and developing hard-nosed Ulster forwards from among the Schools and Clubs who have always nurtured the game.

I hope they do produce more players. The fact that themselves and the Munster have not produced quality players is the reason our squad is being dismantled by the IRFU.
Our bench is going to look very youthful for the Heino final if Cronin and Ruddock don't recover. Last year we had Jordi and Joey to cover.
With Jack, Sean, Noel, RobK (possibly)going and Dan out for a long time our supposed "massive depth" will be a thing of the past.
Not quite as pessimistic on that front @blockhead, particularly watched the pace of development in guys like Connors, Penny, O'Brien (x3), Frawley, Dunne, Kelleher R, etc. I accept the point that in terms of sheer experience, our bench may appear a little callow, but some of the newer faces have produced excellent performances for the Senior side when needed this year.

The roll-call of who's leaving is certainly littered with great memories, but be prepared for the thrill of watching a new set of young guns take their chances.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
blockhead wrote:

Not quite as pessimistic on that front @blockhead, particularly watched the pace of development in guys like Connors, Penny, O'Brien (x3), Frawley, Dunne, Kelleher R, etc. I accept the point that in terms of sheer experience, our bench may appear a little callow, but some of the newer faces have produced excellent performances for the Senior side when needed this year.

The roll-call of who's leaving is certainly littered with great memories, but be prepared for the thrill of watching a new set of young guns take their chances.
It was a rare opportunity for both provinces to give the next generation a good run out.
The experience will be of benefit next season.
Leinster admittedly have been able to blood a lot of younger players this season and that is going to help a lot next season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ulster: Michael Lowry; Robert Baloucoune, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Rob Lyttle; Billy Burns, John Cooney; Eric O’Sullivan, Rory Best (c), Ross Kane, Iain Henderson, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.
Replacements: Rob Herring, Andy Warwick, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Sean Reidy, Dave Shanahan, Darren Cave, Angus Kernohan.

Connacht: Tiernan O’Halloran, Stephen Fitzgerald, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion, Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Eoin McKeon, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (c).
Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Eoghan Masterson, Paul Boyle, Caolin Blade, Tom Daly, Darragh Leader

Rory Bests last home game for Ulster. What a career! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
He has been so successful for Ireland, best ever captain??
But for Ulster, only one league in 2006, 13 long years ago.
Lost out to Leinster in Heino final 2012 and the League final 2013. Also to us in the League semis in 2011,2014 and 2016. Most recently lost to us in the Heino QF this season.

Think Ulster will do it but Scotscun in the semi is a tall order.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Watching the Brumbies v Blues today, one of the commentators mentioned that Lealiifano was out of contract at the end of the season and had offers from the Brumbies, France, Japan and Ireland on the table. I'm guessing it's Ulster who have offered him a contract.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Connacht have been really disappointing so far. Considering they threw the game in Sale (I know it was a while ago) I thought they'd come out all guns blazing today but they've been reasonably flat.

Henderson has been immense again.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I thought Ulster executed a very good defensive game against the Connacht midfield. The ultimate difference was the absence of Roux, compounded by the loss of Thornberry. Either of these teams might have beaten Munster with the variety of their play but Ulster were worthy winners and have come on a ton this Season.

Connacht have also improved and were worthy quarter-finalists with good attacking rugby and individuals who have graduated to genuine international level.

Two good quarter finals and proof of the quality of this league, despite the comments of some of the Irish media.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Good to see Coetzee having a good run for Ulster. He started playing 2 years after he arrived. Listening to interviews with him he sounded almost guilty to be pickng up his wages every month. Powerful man.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

blockhead wrote:Good to see Coetzee having a good run for Ulster. He started playing 2 years after he arrived. Listening to interviews with him he sounded almost guilty to be pickng up his wages every month. Powerful man.
He has also signed a 3 year contract at a lot less than he could have got elsewhere to repay us sticking by him and not just dumping him.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Think he was rewarding Jesus who did his his rehab work. Heard him after the match. Not a word about surgeons, doctors, nurses, physios, S&C people...

Qute a kick in the teeth.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:Think he was rewarding Jesus who did his his rehab work. Heard him after the match. Not a word about surgeons, doctors, nurses, physios, S&C people...

Qute a kick in the teeth.
:lol:

He must have been asleep when he got injured in the first place.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Fairly cheap shots at a guy who holds genuine beliefs, it may not be your taste but not doing anyone any harm.
He could have gone to France or England for ore money just like Sexton did and O’Brien is doing but opted to
stay at Ulster.
If he had made Folua type remarks then he could be justifiably been criticised but he only said what
he himself believes
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

rooster wrote:He has also signed a 3 year contract at a lot less than he could have got elsewhere to repay us sticking by him and not just dumping him.
It's encouraging that he has been able to return from such a bad run of injuries to play at such a consistently high level.

Same for Arno Botha ... he has been really productive for Munster this season after quite a long stretch of injury after injury.

Juan Smith did the same down in Toulon, as did Jonny Wilkinson. Those guys looked like they were crocked, but once they were afforded the time to rehab their injuries properly, then get themselves match fit, they were able to add 3 years on to careers that looked like they were over. You also can't ignore dumb luck, of course.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Matt Faddes signing confirmed for 2019/20. Has been rumoured for a few months. Played 7s for NZ.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's an excellent player, works really hard, versatile, and is very quick. I wonder where they plan on playing him though? I'd have him ahead of Balacoune but that's a bit harsh on him. I suppose Marshall and Addison are injury prone and his versatility means that he'll get plenty of games and it'll sort itself out.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Teams in for Semi Final No 1 Fri 7:35pm (Premier Sports 1 / Eir Sport 1 / TG4 9:30pm)

Glasgow: (15-9) S Hogg; T Seymour, K Steyn, S Johnson, DTH vd Merwe; A Hastings, A Price; (1-8) J Bhatti, F Brown, Z Fagerson; S Cummings, J Gray; R Harley, C Gibbins (c), M Fagerson.

(16-23): G Stewart, O Kebble, D Rae, R Wilson, T Gordon, G Horne, P Horne, H Jones.

Ulster: (15-9): J Stockdale; R Baloucoune, L Marshall, S McCloskey, L Ludik; B Burns, J Cooney; (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), R Kane, I Henderson, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;

(16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, M Lowry, D Cave.

Glasgow 9 points favourites with PP.