Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by OTT »

Up to a couple of weeks ago I thought the story was that he was not going to get another contract?

I think he had been left out of most of their European games before Saturday with Addison playing 13.

He was brilliant on Saturday maybe he has decided to be the one to make the call as opposed to another season playing second fiddle and then more uncertainty.

Thought he was at his peak about 2012 and was unlucky that BOD was still flying (or as Roger Wilson would say BOD stole all his caps bahaha :lol: ).
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Next year it'll be Stand up for the Ulsterman...singular
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ulster team to play Glasgow Warriors
(15-9): M Lowry, R Lyttle, L Marshall, S McCloskey, J Stockdale, B Burns, J Cooney;
(1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Herring, M Moore, A O’Connor (Capt), K Treadwell, S Reidy, J Murphy, M Coetzee.
Replacements: J Andrew, A Warwick, T O’Toole, I Nagle, M Rea, D Shanahan, D Cave, A Kernohan
Glasgow Warriors team to play Ulster
(15-9): Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour, Kyle Steyn, Sam Johnson, Niko Matawalu, Adam Hastings, Ali Price;
(1-8): Oli Kebble, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Rob Harley, Jonny Gray, Adam Ashe, Chris Fusaro, Matt Fagerson.
Replacements: Grant Stewart, Jamie Bhatti, Siua Halanukonuka, Scott Cummings, Tevita Tameilau, George Horne, Pete Horne, Robbie Nairn.
Wins for Benetton, Glasgow and Edinburgh would be interesting at the weekend. Followed next week by another trip for Ulster to Scotland to face Edinburgh while Benetton face a home game against a "just dont get injured for the semi" Munster. And on the last day of the season we could have the oppourtunity to give Benetton and Edinburgh an assist.
No Heino next season for North Leinster may save us a player or two over the summer, just sayin.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Avenger wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
John23 wrote:Darren Cave retiring at the end of the season.
Was surprised by this, still only 31 and is a cracking player (as last weekend proved!). Anyone know what's behind his decision?
Agreed. Surprising.
Read in his interview about it that his wife has always supported his career and they are to become parents soon so maybe he’s just putting his family first - who knows for sure.
He’s a loss to Ulster. As you say, cracking player.
That's about it 13 years playing 13 and now reckons he is getting to the stage injuries get more prevalent and take longer to heal so just quitting while still fit and healthy and a kid on the way, I think the concussions a year ago started to make him think as he had balance problems for quite a while, smart kid and I'm sure he knows what he is doing. He had plenty of offers but no interest.
By the way he played in the quarter final with damaged intercostal muscles that would have stopped many other players from even training never mind playing.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jordi Murphy's dog has gone missing up in Belfast.
Feckin wildlings have probably eaten it already.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

7-29

Booked HC rugby for next year and home QF.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

blockhead wrote:Jordi Murphy's dog has gone missing up in Belfast.
Feckin wildlings have probably eaten it already.
Dog is found.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jackie Brown wrote:7-29

Booked HC rugby for next year and home QF.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Could well have Connacht in that QF followed by a trip to Limerick for the semi with the winner of that game playing us in Paradise.
Lots of ifs and maybes but it could happen.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

If we meet as Blockhead termed in Paradise then I don't think you an rely on many local Blue supporters turning up to support Leinster against Ulster, it could be an interesting day even though Blockhead must be disappointed on his forecasting skills.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Should be a thrilling dead rubber between Ulster A and Leinster A in Belfast on Sat Apr 27th!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That game and the Ben v Munster provided the best highlights package I've watched all season. Ulster's defence against Edinburgh was every bit as good as their display against us in Aviva. The game was pacy throughout and Stockdale, at 15, Marshall, Cooney, Herring, Moore, Henderson and Murphy gave Joe a loud shout about their current form.

Very good scoring performance also and almost extraordinary to see two young wingers with such pace and confidence taking tries at pace and beating men, inside and out, with footwork.

Congrats to McFarland, Payne and Peel for ai great coaching development in less than a season.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Ulster 2018-2019

Post by neill_m »

Ruckedtobits wrote:That game and the Ben v Munster provided the best highlights package I've watched all season. Ulster's defence against Edinburgh was every bit as good as their display against us in Aviva. The game was pacy throughout and Stockdale, at 15, Marshall, Cooney, Herring, Moore, Henderson and Murphy gave Joe a loud shout about their current form.

Very good scoring performance also and almost extraordinary to see two young wingers with such pace and confidence taking tries at pace and beating men, inside and out, with footwork.

Congrats to McFarland, Payne and Peel for ai great coaching development in less than a season.

Good season for Ulster to secure Heineken Cup rugby for 19/20, get a home QF with a round to spare and give the defending champions a scare in the QF this year which we had no expectations of making.
Last edited by neill_m on April 13th, 2019, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

neill_m wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:That game and the Ben v Munster provided the best highlights package I've watched all season. Ulster's defence against Edinburgh was every bit as good as their display against us in Aviva. The game was pacy throughout and Stockdale, at 15, Marshall, Cooney, Herring, Moore, Henderson and Murphy gave Joe a loud shout about their current form.

Good season for Ulster to secure Heineken Cup rugby for 19/20, get a home QF with a round to spare and give you Dublin lads a scare in the QF this year which we had no expectations of making.
We are not all 'Dublin 'lads on here though...
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

yellabelly1961 wrote:
neill_m wrote:

Good season for Ulster to secure Heineken Cup rugby for 19/20, get a home QF with a round to spare and give you Dublin lads a scare in the QF this year which we had no expectations of making.
We are not all 'Dublin 'lads on here though...
Noted and edited[THUMBS UP SIGN]
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just watching this now. I know it wasn't the toughest test but I really liked the look of Stockdale at 15. If he plays well there again this season and then got a shot in the World Cup warm up games then he could really be a live option. I can't remember why but I didn't really like him there for the Ireland under 20s, but it might well be his future position.

Lyttle reminds me of a young Gilroy. Not the best technically but he's got unbelievable feet, excited about his future, he's got a great attitude to go with the talent.

Not saying he was amazing but I have to say I think Burns has improved a lot recently. A couple of months ago I thought he was a total liability but he's putting in more solid performances now.

They look brilliantly coached and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next season with a few new faces on board.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Baloucoune's try against Edinburgh was very impressive indeed. Could be a good player in the making there. Tall, only 20, very fast and good feet. When he puts on a few Kilos he'll be a handful.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:Baloucoune's try against Edinburgh was very impressive indeed. Could be a good player in the making there. Tall, only 20, very fast and good feet. When he puts on a few Kilos he'll be a handful.
He has a great attitude and work rate too
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Moore out for remainder of the season. Big blow, he's looked tidy

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

blockhead wrote:Baloucoune's try against Edinburgh was very impressive indeed. Could be a good player in the making there. Tall, only 20, very fast and good feet. When he puts on a few Kilos he'll be a handful.
They have the speedster Aaron Sexton [Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Sexton ] to come through too. He is a phenomenal prospect.

Between Stockdale [b.1996], Baloucoune [b.1997], Lyttle [b.1997], Kernohan [b.1999] and Sexton [b.2000] in the back three, James Hume [b.1998] at No13 and Angus Curtis [b.1998] at No12 in the centres, Johnny McPhillips [b.1997] and Michael Lowry [b.1998] at outhalf and Johnny Stewart [b.1998] at scrum-half, Ulster have a raft of potential across the backline.

Producing backs hasn't been a big problem for them: they brought Nevin Spence [b.1990, RIP], Luke Marshall [b.1991], Craig Gilroy [b.1991], Paddy Jackson [b.1992], Stuart McCloskey [b.1992], Stuart Olding [b.1993], Chris Farrell [b.1993] into the pro ranks and on to national sides in the recent past.

But next year they'll likely field a starting pack of McGrath, Herring, Moore, Henderson, Carter [ex-Brumbies], Timoney, Murphy, Coetzee – one Ulsterman [Hendo], two Ulster Academy graduates [Hendo & Timoney]. Still a huge amount of lifting to do on that front.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Peg Leg

Moore out for remainder of the season. Big blow, he's looked tidy
Was wondering when no one mentioned it when he went off 10 minutes in. Gutted for the guy he was in a rich vein of form and a key man for Ulster.