Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Mullet

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by Keith »

dropkick wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 4:16 pm
One good thing about the SA potentially coming on board is it will make the Welsh less relevant. Just the other day I heard some welsh commentators talking about how the Aviva premiership is "miles better" and others asking if Nick Tomkins will be as good now that he's playing in a lower standard league. At this stage they're just making things up as they go along. Even if the standard is lower, at least get behind your own league or at least stop knocking it.

At the end of the day they're doing most harm to themselves but they're a loose cannon in some ways. Thats a good reason for the IRFU/pro14 to have closer ties with more countries like Italy and SA.

The irony about the Welsh talking about the standard of the pro14 is their players get harder matches coming up against Irish sides than vice versa. Tomkins played the other week against Leinster. I'm not sure exactly how good the 4 big SA teams are but they should definitely raise the overall standard which will be good for Irish rugby.
It's a bit like how Irish football fans talk about the league of Ireland. Constantly talking down the domestic league and longing for the league across the water. Than they wonder why their teams are poorly supporter and why they can't do well in Europe.

Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by Dave Cahill »

Considering if finished 3-6 and was played in what from the start at least were atrocious conditions, Scarlets v Edinburgh was a really enjoyable game to watch
I have Bumbleflex

IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Dave Cahill wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:40 pm
Considering if finished 3-6 and was played in what from the start at least were atrocious conditions, Scarlets v Edinburgh was a really enjoyable game to watch
Glad I was not the only one. I think I enjoyed it because the close score gave every phase a certain jeopardy.

What did you think of the Red Card?

3 second rows sent off for Scarlets in 3 matches.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!

Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by Dave Cahill »

Definite Red. Those reds are actually the hardest to give, where there is no intent or malice in the action - he could have given a yellow and no one would really have complained - but on the framework it's clearly a red so he made the right call.
I have Bumbleflex

enby
Graduate

Post by enby »

So far this season, the record of Irish teams is won 16 lost 1. There is a fundamental problem with this league. Every now and then one Welsh or Scottish side has a good year or two before dropping back into their usual mediocrity. The rugby public in those countries is indifferent and doesn't demand success from the club sides who seem happy to drift along as perennial also-rans. This is reflected in the consistently dreadful attendance numbers over the years. The Italians offer nothing. The fact is that the league is, and has almost always been, not competitive and there is little reason to believe that this situation is going to change. In fact the widespread financial damage wreaked by covid will probably only worsen the situation.

Is there a solution to this ongoing problem? Presumably the English clubs wouldn't be interested in our provinces having a slice of their pie. The CVC deals probably complicate any such development in any case. Some imagination at union level is needed to pave a way forward

dropkick
Mullet

Post by dropkick »

enby wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 10:08 am
So far this season, the record of Irish teams is won 16 lost 1. There is a fundamental problem with this league. Every now and then one Welsh or Scottish side has a good year or two before dropping back into their usual mediocrity. The rugby public in those countries is indifferent and doesn't demand success from the club sides who seem happy to drift along as perennial also-rans. This is reflected in the consistently dreadful attendance numbers over the years. The Italians offer nothing. The fact is that the league is, and has almost always been, not competitive and there is little reason to believe that this situation is going to change. In fact the widespread financial damage wreaked by covid will probably only worsen the situation.

Is there a solution to this ongoing problem? Presumably the English clubs wouldn't be interested in our provinces having a slice of their pie. The CVC deals probably complicate any such development in any case. Some imagination at union level is needed to pave a way forward

I think Irish teams would pay for themselves if they joined up with the English.

The italians fans are alright imo. They get a hardcore few thousand who show up despite never been very good. The Scots are supporting their teams. Glasgow's problem is their stadium is too small while edinburgh has the opposite problem but are building a new stadium. Once the Scottish teams got good, fans turned up. I can see the same happening with the italians teams but it will take a while yet.

The hope for the league is the 4 south african sides. They will make the league stronger and we should see many more competitive matches. But yeah, it's very lobsided towards Irish teams now especially Leinsters running away with it. The Welsh regions are very weak but the extra internationals now are not helping.

heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

One of the biggest things we need to see for the pro14 is what happens with Wales post gatland.
Rugby logic is that you need to use the Pro 14 as a base for success for the national team.
Ireland has successful Pro 14 teams and success at national level.
Scotland has seen impovements in both.
Italy has had neither.
Wales was the outlier that constant poor performance in the pro 14 and Europe did not seem to detract from success at national level.
So was gatland single handedly holding back the tide? If Wales go into a 3 to 5 year slump now, that might see a reordering of priorities and more focus put on the league. Or not. Let's see.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk