Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: It's a hard one to shake off. I am a Sheffield United fan (yeah yeah, I know......) and we had a very similar situation when Ched Evans was found not guilty of rape but clearly engaged in some fairly sordid debauchery that went public. The Blades were in discussions to re-sign him, we had a pile of shite thrown at the club from politicians, journalists, celebs etc so that that they had to let the opportunity go even though the club's football people wanted him signed. It was just too big a commercial and reputational risk. As someone who has bought rugby sponsorship, I would think very carefully about having my brand live in a world where not only this behaviour is (in the opinion of many people) effectively condoned but you are likely to see ongoing protest and coverage.

I assume the IRFU hold his contract in which case it might be smarter to offload him in an exchange deal for Madigan to Bristol which, assuming Jackson is out of the Ireland frame for the foreseeable, might be better for Ireland.
Ultimately all they've done is engage in legal, non-traditional sexual behaviour and bragged about it. If brands stayed away from that then there would be no sponsorship of sport. Or anything. Money is more forgiving than Jesus. The Ched Evans case is different, he was found guilty and the shite was thrown when SU were thinking about signing him after his release from prison, when he was still a convicted rapist, before his conviction was quashed. Once his conviction was quashed however he signed for...
Have checked twatter?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Ultimately all they've done is engage in legal, non-traditional sexual behaviour and bragged about it. If brands stayed away from that then there would be no sponsorship of sport. Or anything. Money is more forgiving than Jesus. The Ched Evans case is different, he was found guilty and the shite was thrown when SU were thinking about signing him after his release from prison, when he was still a convicted rapist, before his conviction was quashed. Once his conviction was quashed however he signed for...
Have checked twatter?
Yeah, if only that was all they did. :roll:

I would be appalled to see them included in an Ireland squad but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

The rise of Joey Carberry as Johnny Sexton's successor with Marsh JJ Hanrahan and Bill Johnston in the background to name a few I don't think PJ will be seeing the Ireland squad any time soon if ever
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Whatever about Carbery having potential, but the rest? Seriously? You're saying the someone like Cathal Marsh, currently Leinster's 5th choice outhalf, is going to keep the guy who was outhalf the day we beat South Africa in South Africa, for the first time ever, with 14 players, out of the Irish squad.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

nc6000 wrote:
Yeah, if only that was all they did. :roll:

I would be appalled to see them included in an Ireland squad but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.
I realise that all I can go on is the judgement of the court and the evidence that was reported, but thats just me.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

RAILWAY1 wrote:The rise of Joey Carberry as Johnny Sexton's successor with Marsh JJ Hanrahan and Bill Johnston in the background to name a few I don't think PJ will be seeing the Ireland squad any time soon if ever

Which, is hardly the point anyway.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

Dave Cahill wrote:Whatever about Carbery having potential, but the rest? Seriously? You're saying the someone like Cathal Marsh, currently Leinster's 5th choice outhalf, is going to keep the guy who was outhalf the day we beat South Africa in South Africa, for the first time ever, with 14 players, out of the Irish squad.
An interesting question here is, what does Joe think? I don’t know him, but my (purely speculative) read of him is as a pretty straightforward character, and I imagine his take is ‘ok so they’ve been cleared - when can they start playing for ulster again?’

Carberry is a fine player, but I have no doubt that Schmidt wants both Sexton and Jackson in his WC squad
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

nc6000 wrote:I would be appalled to see them included in an Ireland squad but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.
can I ask why you’d be appalled to see them in an Ireland squad? (Genuine question, not trying to be clever)
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

There's been a lot of media talk about the societal implications of this trial (Second Captains, for example) so i won't retread that here but there's one that I think is being lost; an acquittal has to mean something

That doesn't mean there can't be any consequences for undisputed bad behaviour that was revealed in the course of the trial. But they were acquitted of any criminal wrongdoing and shouldn't be treated as if they'd been found guilty. Some of the reaction seems to suggest that as a society we should effectively nullify the jury's verdict in how we treat these guys.

To reiterate, that doesn't mean there should be no consequences whatsoever. But we have to keep the right perspective and we can't punish them for things they were cleared of doing.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Twist wrote:There's been a lot of media talk about the societal implications of this trial (Second Captains, for example) so i won't retread that here but there's one that I think is being lost; an acquittal has to mean something

That doesn't mean there can't be any consequences for undisputed bad behaviour that was revealed in the course of the trial. But they were acquitted of any criminal wrongdoing and shouldn't be treated as if they'd been found guilty. Some of the reaction seems to suggest that as a society we should effectively nullify the jury's verdict in how we treat these guys.

To reiterate, that doesn't mean there should be no consequences whatsoever. But we have to keep the right perspective and we can't punish them for things they were cleared of doing.
That's way too much common sense for the mob, Twist.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

I hope McIlroy and Harrison never play for Ulster or Ireland again. Hopefully the petition will ensure this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think we should start a petition to ensure that Rory Harrison and Blaine McIlroy are selected for Ireland and Ulster
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think we should start a petition to ensure that Rory Harrison and Blaine McIlroy are selected for Ireland and Ulster
Harrison perhaps but please not McIlroy, we have enough eejits
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Well according to press we have signed the Sale Sharks club captain Will Addison who is Irish qualified, everyone in the Ulster office must be still hiding in a cupboard though as no mention from them.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

rooster wrote:Well according to press we have signed the Sale Sharks club captain Will Addison who is Irish qualified, everyone in the Ulster office must be still hiding in a cupboard though as no mention from them.

Ah sure they're probably all at the stations of the cross

:wink:
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
rooster wrote:Well according to press we have signed the Sale Sharks club captain Will Addison who is Irish qualified, everyone in the Ulster office must be still hiding in a cupboard though as no mention from them.

Ah sure they're probably all at the stations of the cross

:wink:
Ooops, forgot about that Dave, perhaps that's where our CEO has been hiding all along [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

darkside lighteside wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Whatever about Carbery having potential, but the rest? Seriously? You're saying the someone like Cathal Marsh, currently Leinster's 5th choice outhalf, is going to keep the guy who was outhalf the day we beat South Africa in South Africa, for the first time ever, with 14 players, out of the Irish squad.
An interesting question here is, what does Joe think? I don’t know him, but my (purely speculative) read of him is as a pretty straightforward character, and I imagine his take is ‘ok so they’ve been cleared - when can they start playing for ulster again?’

Carberry is a fine player, but I have no doubt that Schmidt wants both Sexton and Jackson in his WC squad
Whatever the most pragmatic answer is, is what JS will do.
You've only to listen to the Political Correct down here to know that they are just waiting to villify someone for any decision that doesn't fit their agenda and even if they got the right decision they'd still say more could have been done.
So ask yourself what is the most pragmatic answer and bear in mind the recent hoo hah about Munster's signing of a SA player who had served his penalty for drug abuse.
Somehow or other the lads have been found not guilty but there are some people who won't forgive the system and the lads, by extension, for this being the case.
The IRFU is a cross border entity and as such will be deemed fair game.
As I said in another post the smart thing to do for all parties is lie low and for the lads to use Ireland's solution to nearly every problem - emigrate.
For once I think that is the most pragmatic solution.
Last edited by Oldschool on March 30th, 2018, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

darkside lighteside wrote:
nc6000 wrote:I would be appalled to see them included in an Ireland squad but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.
can I ask why you’d be appalled to see them in an Ireland squad? (Genuine question, not trying to be clever)
Their treatment of that girl on the night in question and the content of the WhatsApp messages makes them unfit to represent Ireland in my opinion and I'd boycott the RDS if they were in an Ulster squad which traveled down to play Leinster.

This doesn't look like just blowing over and Jackson looks to have make the situation even worse today by threatening to sue over the content of a tweet. At least Olding made some attempt at an apology.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

nc6000 wrote:
Their treatment of that girl on the night in question and the content of the WhatsApp messages makes them unfit to represent Ireland in my opinion and I'd boycott the RDS if they were in an Ulster squad which traveled down to play Leinster. .
Have you been boycotting games against Munster or games involving Ireland since 2013?
I have Bumbleflex
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
nc6000 wrote:
Their treatment of that girl on the night in question and the content of the WhatsApp messages makes them unfit to represent Ireland in my opinion and I'd boycott the RDS if they were in an Ulster squad which traveled down to play Leinster. .
Have you been boycotting games against Munster or games involving Ireland since 2013?
No because in 2013 I don't believe the Gardai were involved nor was there a need for them to be involved. There was no talk of genital injuries, blood stained sheets, bloodstained clothing or a hysterical 19 year old girl being "thrown home".

I think you're being unfair to the Munster guys by comparing the incidents.