Inter-provincial player movement

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Inter-provincial player movement

Post by goreyguy »

can't wait for Nucifora to try and move some of our young talent south, north and west.

but yeah looking forward to how the team does this season.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Glasgow 23 Oct 2015.

Post by Keith »

goreyguy wrote:can't wait for Nucifora to try and move some of our young talent south, north and west.

Surely the players themselves will have a say on where they play. I can't imagine anyone being forced to play somewhere.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

They do, there was one player who turned down a move to Connacht in the summer.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:They do, there was one player who turned down a move to Connacht in the summer.
tease
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Keith wrote:
goreyguy wrote:can't wait for Nucifora to try and move some of our young talent south, north and west.

Surely the players themselves will have a say on where they play. I can't imagine anyone being forced to play somewhere.
they do, doesn't help leinster that the men in charge are actively trying to weaken leinster.
Not_Today
Bookworm

Post by Not_Today »

goreyguy wrote:
Keith wrote:

they do, doesn't help leinster that the men in charge are actively trying to weaken leinster.
The provinces are owned by the IRFU, the players are employed by the IRFU, the sole purpose of the provinces is to be a feeder system for the national team. If those in charge want to move players around to get a better spread for the national team then they can do so.

If players aren't happy with what's offered to them they can do a Sexton and move abroad.

The days of professional rugby being just a sport are long gone.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Not_Today wrote:
The provinces are owned by the IRFU, the players are employed by the IRFU, the sole purpose of the provinces is to be a feeder system for the national team. If those in charge want to move players around to get a better spread for the national team then they can do so.

If players aren't happy with what's offered to them they can do a Sexton and move abroad.

The days of professional rugby being just a sport are long gone.
that's just a long winded way of saying the irfu will actively try to weaken leinster and remove the teams key depth despite leinster doing the most in terms of talent development and needing that depth during internationals. I as a Leinster fan accept that reality but doesn't mean i'm happy about it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Not_Today wrote: The days of professional rugby being just a sport are long gone.
The problem with that is as professional sport evolves, international competition loses importance.
I have Bumbleflex
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

By the same token, the decision made over where Robbie Henshaw plays his rugby next year will be up for discussion. It could all get a bit NBA next summer trying to get him across.

I'd imagine Ruddock will go straight back in on Friday, Triggs or McCarthy to start and Boss on the bench. The rest may well get another week off. I imagine Cronin wouldn't mind a game.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Dirk Stickler wrote:By the same token, the decision made over where Robbie Henshaw plays his rugby next year will be up for discussion. It could all get a bit NBA next summer trying to get him across.

I'd imagine Ruddock will go straight back in on Friday, Triggs or McCarthy to start and Boss on the bench. The rest may well get another week off. I imagine Cronin wouldn't mind a game.
I'm not so sure that pursuing Henshaw would be a good move for Leinster. I'm all for as many Leinster players as possible stepping up to international level but do we want to actively look to recruit someone who'll be away for large chunks of the season?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Players want to play at the highest level possible. If they can't get game time in their home province, they will have to toss up between the comforts of home and playing with their friends, the strongest province or moving elsewhere.

Pro rugby is competitive and the international game is what attracts the masses not just the fanatics. The best players sometimes have to go where they get game time. In NZ, this is a reality from an early age and provincial movement accepted as a reality.

IMO, this might involve no more than 8 - 10 players across Ireland, some from Leinster and some from elsewhere, Ulster mid-field being the most obvious.

The decision to move may be clear evidence of ambition and confidence in your own ability. These are essential traits for a successful pro player.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

leinsterforever wrote:
Dirk Stickler wrote:By the same token, the decision made over where Robbie Henshaw plays his rugby next year will be up for discussion. It could all get a bit NBA next summer trying to get him across.

I'm not so sure that pursuing Henshaw would be a good move for Leinster. I'm all for as many Leinster players as possible stepping up to international level but do we want to actively look to recruit someone who'll be away for large chunks of the season?
If they are IQ, yes- because that means they are good.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan