Stephen Jones Comedy Writing - 2014/5 Season

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

This thread should have plenty of beauties this season.
If I may introduce the first entry from the supplememt last Sunday.
Quote - The old idea that tiny Irish and Italian clubs should receive more than the massive French and English outfits was too riridiculous for words.
- Hell hath no fury than those who backed a dead horse in a race.
-He goes on and on.

Wel Mr. Jones here's to our 3 minnows sticking it up the chariots this and every game this season
Stand up for the Leinster Ulster Munster menn
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

This thread should have plenty of beauties this season.
Quote - The old idea that tiny Irish and Italian clubs should receive more than the massive French and English outfits was too riridiculous for words.
-He goes on and on.

Wel Mr. Jones here's to our 3 minnows sticking it up the chariots this and every game this season
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Stephen Jones Comedy Writing - 2014/5 Season

Post by artaneboy »

Blue not red blood wrote:This thread should have plenty of beauties this season.
-He goes on and on.

Please, please, please stop this thread now. Nothing that pompous and fraudulent fool scribbles should be repeated or given any oxygen. Let the gobshite continue to fulminate behind the welcome (in his case) Times pay wall.
Last edited by artaneboy on October 15th, 2014, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I love the fact that his paywall (and the fact that I don't buy papers) means I never have to hear what he says.its made the internet a safer place.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Keep this thread updated, I haven't bought the Times in eons, but I do I enjoy reading the demented ramblings of rugby journos, brings me back to the pres coverage of the Kidney era, which is funny in retrospect.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

leinster4life13 wrote:Keep this thread updated, I haven't bought the Times in eons, but I do I enjoy reading the demented ramblings of rugby journos, brings me back to the pres coverage of the Kidney era, which is funny in retrospect.
The point is- it's not funny NOW! So kill it on the forum- and you Pal, if you want to read his splenetic ramblings can pay the subscription to The Times Online! :evil:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
leinster4life13
Mullet

Any updates/Irish hate from Jonesy? :D

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

leinster4life13 wrote:Any updates/Irish hate from Jonesy? :D
All his ire is currently focused on the All Blacks (apparently they're thugs and cheats), given they're playing England this Saturday. With England also facing the Boks and Wallabies this month, it'll be a while before he remembers we exist.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinster4life13
Mullet

cormac wrote:
All his ire is currently focused on the All Blacks (apparently they're thugs and cheats), given they're playing England this Saturday. With England also facing the Boks and Wallabies this month, it'll be a while before he remembers we exist.
I take it he rolled out the whole "team full of Islanders line" he usually summons up. Its always struck me how he is welsh, yet loves England, weird.

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them
It's not just SJ, it's a Welsh phenomenon in general. The Sots have it too, apparently.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

blockhead wrote:
Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them
It's not just SJ, it's a Welsh phenomenon in general. The Sots have it too, apparently.
That's quite the broad statement. How much time have you spent in either of these places or with these people?!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinster4life13 wrote:
cormac wrote:
I take it he rolled out the whole "team full of Islanders line" he usually summons up. Its always struck me how he is welsh, yet loves England, weird.
England or NZ the team full of islanders?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

jimbobjoe wrote:
blockhead wrote:
That's quite the broad statement. How much time have you spent in either of these places or with these people?!
Ehh, Scotland votes NO...
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

olaf the fat wrote:
I wouldn't put that down to falling in with the English or supposed Stockholm syndrome.I'd put that one down to a lack of trust in a Yes campaign that couldn't draw up legitimate currency plans, and based an economy on a dwindling resource (oil), a niche product (whiskey) and tourism. Not to mention the NHS falling to bits due to the sheer cost in the remote parts and higher level education suffering due to no source of funding.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Actually it really should be "Scottish old people voted no"
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... croft-poll
The swing from 71% yes in 16-17yr olds to 73% no in 65+ is quite extreme

Also the stat that over 60% of the no side "have always known" how they would vote versus under 40% in yes is pretty interesting. One characteristic of the no campaign was fear. The other patriotism. Neither particularly preying on the rational attributes of the brain.

Anecdotally I noticed from the vox pops on the news at the time that the vociferous anti-independence voters had English accents. That could be selectivity on the part of the producers but I don't get the feeling that it was wildly out of line.

A lot of Welsh people are quite simply actually English also.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jimbobjoe wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:
I wouldn't put that down to falling in with the English or supposed Stockholm syndrome.I'd put that one down to a lack of trust in a Yes campaign that couldn't draw up legitimate currency plans, and based an economy on a dwindling resource (oil), a niche product (whiskey) and tourism. Not to mention the NHS falling to bits due to the sheer cost in the remote parts and higher level education suffering due to no source of funding.
This is NOT the forum for reasoned debate!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:
This is NOT the forum for reasoned debate!!
reasoned debate to scrumhalf?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

fourthirtythree wrote:Actually it really should be "Scottish old people voted no"
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... croft-poll
The swing from 71% yes in 16-17yr olds to 73% no in 65+ is quite extreme

Also the stat that over 60% of the no side "have always known" how they would vote versus under 40% in yes is pretty interesting. One characteristic of the no campaign was fear. The other patriotism. Neither particularly preying on the rational attributes of the brain.

Anecdotally I noticed from the vox pops on the news at the time that the vociferous anti-independence voters had English accents. That could be selectivity on the part of the producers but I don't get the feeling that it was wildly out of line.

A lot of Welsh people are quite simply actually English also.
There will always be cross-pollination of people/cultures when there's no real border present so it's no surprise that there are Scottish and Welsh 'English' people. Even in the highlands you'll find the English accented scots with their tweed jackets and hunter wellies.

The lord ashcroft poll is interesting but from my point of view it doesn't truly represent the people I've been in contact with either through work or socially.

The 60% 'have always known' is also interesting... I was always No unless Yes could convince me it would be better. Would that put me as part of that 60%?
Peg Leg wrote: This is NOT the forum for reasoned debate!!
Very true. Sincerest apologies.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

jimbobjoe wrote:[
The 60% 'have always known' is also interesting... I was always No unless Yes could convince me it would be better. Would that put me as part of that 60%?
Peg Leg wrote: This is NOT the forum for reasoned debate!!
Very true. Sincerest apologies.
No (edit, sorry, yes). The 62% who have always known voted against it versus 48% of those that voted for it. My point being not that there aren't rational reasons to have voted against independence but that they were not the actual reasons that it happened for. The yes side had overwhelmingly made up its mind before considering the issues.

Personally I wouldn't have voted for independence were I Scottish as they would have kept the pound. Which is just silly if you were watching the last decade or so.

That said the largest single issue for voting against independence was "the pound" which wasn't up for consideration.

The largest single issue for voting yes was "dissatisfaction with Westminster which presupposes that one's own parliament would be any better. Which history wouldn't suggest is really a tight argument.