Welsh Rugby 2014 -2015

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Welsh Rugby 2014 -2015

Post by fourthirtythree »

Maybe the lesson should be that you don't get to decide what is offensive to everyone else?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote:Maybe the lesson should be that you don't get to decide what is offensive to everyone else?
And how would that work?
Putting a lot of people out of a job right there.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

No you're right: middle aged white guys on the internet absolutely do get to arbitrate what is offensive to black people, jews, muslims, women, gay people etc. and when they should just suck it up (which is all the time, amirite?)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:No you're right: middle aged white guys on the internet absolutely do get to arbitrate what is offensive to black people, jews, muslims, women, gay people etc. and when they should just suck it up (which is all the time, amirite?)
Only if Nigel Wray gets to chose what upsets the Irish.....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

"middle aged white guys", thats ageist and racist right there!
Try to more tolerant.
Its Christmas! Or Xmas or the holiday season or.....
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

fourthirtythree wrote:Maybe the lesson should be that you don't get to decide what is offensive to everyone else?

some people are more easily offended than others in fairness. I lived in the north of England for years and took loads of "banter" for being welsh, the usual taffy, sheep sh@gger stuff. I have to say it never bothered me and I gave plenty of it back. I'm sure you Irish guys who lived overseas experience the same sort of stuff (probably even more so)

I abhor genuine racism but I also think people can be too thin skinned nowadays and also can take offence on behalf of others (in this case Bony the guy he impersonated doesn't seem to be bothered about it) and I really think Liam Williams had no racist agenda behind his costume

Then again as you say I'm middle aged white heterosexual so maybe I''m not clued up on the subject
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Sticks and stones...... the collective IQ of the world is dropping due to all of this PC bullshit, its the new religion, a religion of cowardly fools, and governments are happy enough to sh!t on free speech and legislate for hurt feelings. Its the beginning of the decline of the West.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

at the very least we can all agree that blacking up in public is an insanely dumb thing to do for anyone with a public profile and a rugby player emulating a soccer player is shameful
at least Williams apologised, unlike Saracens the bastardos
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:at the very least we can all agree that blacking up in public is an insanely dumb thing to do for anyone with a public profile and a rugby player emulating a soccer player is shameful
at least Williams apologised, unlike Saracens the bastardos

I did find it a bit amusing when he said he had spoken to him and it was all cool and he used the #Wilfred repeatedly (bony first name is spelt wilfried)
#dumbass
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

leinster4life13 wrote:Sticks and stones...... the collective IQ of the world is dropping due to all of this PC bullshit, its the new religion, a religion of cowardly fools, and governments are happy enough to sh!t on free speech and legislate for hurt feelings. Its the beginning of the decline of the West.
This isn't a serious post, right?
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30595868

Can't say I know much about him, anyone got any info?
leinster4life13
Mullet

Hippo wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:Sticks and stones...... the collective IQ of the world is dropping due to all of this PC bullshit, its the new religion, a religion of cowardly fools, and governments are happy enough to sh!t on free speech and legislate for hurt feelings. Its the beginning of the decline of the West.
People(well, morons) who tweet distasteful stuff on twitter are getting sentenced to JAIL time in Britain. Germany is pushing the EU for speech restrictions EU-wide on to apply to all member states,The "European council on tolerance and reconciliation" (a lobby group who "help draft" potential legislation) is pushing for jail time and "reeducation" of people who engage in "offensive speech". Look up, "the national statute for the promotion of tolerance", Its hilariously Orwellian.
Yeah I think political correctness is very dangerous, its an attack on the freedom of speech, which is one of the tenants of Western civilisation. All speech(including dressing up as a black footballer, if thats your "thing") should be protected.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I agree with your post. However free speech implies everyone's right to call someone out as a racist, as a sick, or whatever and the privileging of a racist, sexist orthodoxy under the guise that any criticism of this is political correctness is one of the more pernicious means used by orthodoxy to whine about its victimhood at the hands of those that are actually oppressed. Nobody whines more than middle aged, middle class, white men.

Nobody.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinster4life13 wrote:
Hippo wrote:
People(well, morons) who tweet distasteful stuff on twitter are getting sentenced to JAIL time in Britain. Germany is pushing the EU for speech restrictions EU-wide on to apply to all member states,The "European council on tolerance and reconciliation" (a lobby group who "help draft" potential legislation) is pushing for jail time and "reeducation" of people who engage in "offensive speech". Look up, "the national statute for the promotion of tolerance", Its hilariously Orwellian.
Yeah I think political correctness is very dangerous, its an attack on the freedom of speech, which is one of the tenants of Western civilisation. All speech(including dressing up as a black footballer, if thats your "thing") should be protected.
Freedom of speech is only a right if it is accompanied by a concomitant responsibility not to infringe on the rights of others. I can't think of a single country with constitutionally protected freedom of speech that doesn't withdraw that protection upon infringement.
I have Bumbleflex
leinster4life13
Mullet

fourthirtythree wrote:I agree with your post. However free speech implies everyone's right to call someone out as a racist, as a sick, or whatever and the privileging of a racist, sexist orthodoxy under the guise that any criticism of this is political correctness is one of the more pernicious means used by orthodoxy to whine about its victimhood at the hands of those that are actually oppressed. Nobody whines more than middle aged, middle class, white men.

Nobody.
I agree, but when legislation is getting drafted at an EU(not forgetting the member states who already have such legislation in place) to stop people saying racist, sick, sexist, whatever things, that goes beyond calling someone out on being an aforementioned racist, sexist boor, its a step towards an Orwellian(tinfoil hat firmly ensconced) society.
I would rather put up with nasty assholes saying mean things, its not a problem, but then, I would say that wouldnt I, I'm white and middle class(though thankfully no where near middle age).
Dave Cahill wrote:
Freedom of speech is only a right if it is accompanied by a concomitant responsibility not to infringe on the rights of others. I can't think of a single country with constitutionally protected freedom of speech that doesn't withdraw that protection upon infringement.
No, study your US constitutional Law. No one has a right not to be offended or hurt by speech. Unless you go into egregiously slanderous and defamatory territory, freedom of speech is absolute.

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

The US first amendment does not give carte blanche to free speech, and categories other than defamation are excluded.

Free speech may be one of the central 'tenants' of Western civilization, but that doesn't mean that restrictions aren't appropriate in certain circumstances. If people are ignorant enough to engage in hate speech of one kind or another, I'm all for re-educating them, because clearly for whatever reason their original education didn't do enough to help them learn tolerance - one of those things of which Western civilization would surely approve.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

JB1973 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30595868

Can't say I know much about him, anyone got any info?
Isn't he a son of Bill the heaviest th prop in the known universe
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Hippo wrote:The US first amendment does not give carte blanche to free speech, and categories other than defamation are excluded.

Free speech may be one of the central 'tenants' of Western civilization, but that doesn't mean that restrictions aren't appropriate in certain circumstances. If people are ignorant enough to engage in hate speech of one kind or another, I'm all for re-educating them, because clearly for whatever reason their original education didn't do enough to help them learn tolerance - one of those things of which Western civilization would surely approve.
I am struggling to follow your first sentence. To my knowledge there is a carte blanche given to free speech, and as I understand it defamation is about the only exclusion apart form national security.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

http://www.inclusion.msu.edu/equity/Fir ... peech.html

Best I can do on Christmas morning. I prefer the European model in any case. Joyeux Noël!
Last edited by Hippo on December 26th, 2014, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30603802

Wales dual contracts for NG Dragons pair and Scarlets prop

Newport Gwent Dragons back Tyler Morgan, 19, has become the first uncapped player to sign a Welsh rugby dual contract.
Dragons wing Hallam Amos and Scarlets prop Rhodri Jones have also signed.
The trio join Wales captain Sam Warburton and flanker Dan Lydiate on joint deals.
The creation of dual contracts was part of a £60m deal between the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) and regions over funding and governance of the game in Wales.
All three players have represented Wales Under-20s and will remain with their current regions.
Wales head coach Warren Gatland said the latest deals for "some of our youngest prospects" is another "important step forward" for Welsh rugby.
"The structure we have created means a player's development and welfare is monitored by the national squad management and this will help players realise their full potential," said Gatland.
"National dual contracts will strengthen the game at national and regional level and we would like to thank the regions for their help in this process."
Uncapped Morgan, 19, has been named in the Dragons' starting line-up for the Pro12 derby away to Cardiff Blues on Friday.
"I'm a local boy and I'm very happy at the Dragons, so I'm delighted to commit my future to them and to Welsh rugby," he said.
"The contracts allow us to work closely with the national squad management and for me that was a big incentive.
"Being able to get that extra advice and guidance will really benefit me going forward."
Dragons wing Amos, 20, won his one and only cap for Wales against Tonga in November 2013 and was part of Gatland's squad for the 2014 autumn internationals.
"I'm really pleased to have been offered this opportunity and I fully intend to make the most of it," said Amos.
Scarlets tight-head Jones, 22, who featured in the squads for all four of Wales' November Tests, said: "These contracts offer us stability and peace of mind as well as first-class resources to allow players to concentrate on playing.
"The Scarlets have played a huge part in my career so far and I hope I can reward theirs and the WRU's faith in me in the coming seasons."
Jones' deal will boost Scarlets who had already agreed deals with captain and hooker Ken Owens and full-back Liam Williams.
The future of fly-half Rhys Priestland however is not so certain.
Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac said: "We are pleased to see another of our international players committing his future to the region.
"Rhodri has developed through the development pathway here at the Scarlets and we're pleased to see him staying at the region."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!