Welsh Rugby 2014 -2015

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Welsh Rugby 2014 -2015

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:Ospreys in the Pro12 aside, why are the Welsh regions still struggling massively, especially in Europe?
weak squads (comparitively) simple as that

Cardiff were reaching Euro quarters and semis when they had a star studded squad
Ospreys neraly did it a few times but had lots of tough groups and found it hard to work against seeding system
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

And the odd performance aside they tend to roll over fairly handy on the road particularly for the English sides.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Stephen Jones joining Scarlets as backs coach for next season from Wasps.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30778452
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30716043

Wales and Scarlets prop Samson Lee signs national dual contract

Wales and Scarlets prop Samson Lee has become the latest player to sign a national dual contract (NDC) with his region and the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU).
The tight-head, 22, won the first of his nine Wales caps coming on as a replacement against Argentina in 2013.
The Swansea-born forward played in all of Wales' 2014 autumn internationals including the historic 12-6 win against South Africa.
"This was an easy decision for me," Lee said.
"A national dual contract is the best of both worlds. It allows me to commit to the Scarlets, where I'm enjoying my rugby and where I feel at home, but it also hopefully allows for exciting times ahead with Wales.
"I hope I can continue to repay the faith placed in me by both the Scarlets and the WRU coaches on the pitch and am delighted that I will be attempting to do so at Parc y Scarlets for the foreseeable future."
Lee is currently out with a neck injury and a suspected disc problem.
Scarlets say he faces further tests on his neck and hope he will be available for the European Champions Cup clash against Leicester on 16 January, providing no serious injury is found.
Lee has established himself as Wales' first-choice tight-head since replacing Adam Jones in the first half of the first Test match against South Africa in Durban in June, 2014.
Wales coach Warren Gatland said: "Samson has developed rapidly and proven his ability in a position where we continue to build strength in depth."
He added: "His performances for the Scarlets and Wales have shown how he is a quick learner who understands the requirements of the role and the demands on a modern tight-head."
Lee joins Wales captain Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, Jake Ball, Tyler Morgan, Hallam Amos and Rhodri Jones on dual deals.
The creation of dual contracts was part of a £60m deal between the WRU and regions over funding and governance of the game in Wales.
The WRU holds the primacy of the contracts with players being released for an agreed number of games for their region.
Under the Rugby Services Agreement, the WRU pays 60% of the deal and the signing Welsh region the remainder.
WRU chief executive Roger Lewis, who was talking to BBC's Scrum V programme, described Lee's move as "important" for the future of Welsh rugby.
Lewis continued: "The strategy is retaining those great players who have already proved themselves at the top of the game, but also ensuring that the young players coming forward for Welsh rugby are also secured beyond this Rugby World Cup year and heading towards the next Rugby World Cup in 2019."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Bit of a bold statement but I expect lee to be the next lions tight head prop, I rate him that highly. If he is fit we can win the 6 nations if he isn't well struggle to finish above 3rd he is that important to the welsh team.

Hopefully felatau alun wyn jones biggar and webb follow his lead and that's pretty much all the top players still in wales tied down.

As for the regions none shone this weekend and the blues/dragons are already out of the running for next years ERC, while the Scarlets are out of the play off spaces.

Not a great year and I doubt anyone outside of wales will shed any tears for the regions especially after the way we behaved over the new erc deal last year
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:Bit of a bold statement but I expect lee to be the next lions tight head prop, I rate him that highly. If he is fit we can win the 6 nations if he isn't well struggle to finish above 3rd he is that important to the welsh team.

Hopefully felatau alun wyn jones biggar and webb follow his lead and that's pretty much all the top players still in wales tied down.

As for the regions none shone this weekend and the blues/dragons are already out of the running for next years ERC, while the Scarlets are out of the play off spaces.

Not a great year and I doubt anyone outside of wales will shed any tears for the regions especially after the way we behaved over the new erc deal last year
think youre right

Rumour that Alex Cuthbert is off to Clermont to replace a departing Fijian
Could be good for him, they taught Johnathan Davies how to pass
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Bit of a bold statement but I expect lee to be the next lions tight head prop, I rate him that highly. If he is fit we can win the 6 nations if he isn't well struggle to finish above 3rd he is that important to the welsh team.

think youre right

Yes and behind a pack that doesn't spend 99% of the game going backwards, Cuthbert is still very raw as a player , if he keeps his pace and power but develops a rugby brain he could be lethal (big if mind you!)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

think youre right

Yes and behind a pack that doesn't spend 99% of the game going backwards, Cuthbert is still very raw as a player , if he keeps his pace and power but develops a rugby brain he could be lethal (big if mind you!)
defensive positioning his achilles heel alright
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Standby for Judgement Day III! Welsh Regions set for third Millennium Stadium double-header

Jan 16, 2015 10:04
By Simon Thomas

We can reveal the date, fixtures and kick-off times for this season's double-header involving Cardiff Blues, Newport Gwent Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets

Judgement Day III is to go ahead in April, with agreement having been reached between the WRU and the Regions over the continuation of the showpiece event.

There had been doubt over whether the back-to-back Welsh derbies would be staged at the Millennium Stadium this season, with the existing four-year deal having been terminated in September.

But it has now received the green light and will take place at the stadium on Saturday, April 25.

The Blues will lock horns with the Ospreys in the first match with a 2.30pm kick-off, with the Dragons facing the Scarlets at 5.15pm, with the games to be televised live by BBC Wales and S4C respectively.

Judgement Day was introduced in the 2012-13 season, with the idea being to try and replicate the success of the London Double Header at Twickenham, which opens the Aviva Premiership campaign and attracts huge crowds.

Establishing a Welsh version of the big day out was widely welcomed as a concept and the initial signs were encouraging.

The inaugural event in March 2013 drew a crowd of 36,174, with the Scarlets beating the Dragons 28-20 and the Ospreys defeating the Blues 23-16.

But last season the attendance was down to 30,411, amid criticism over the scheduling, with the games being played on Easter Sunday (April 19).

Judgement Day II saw the Blues claim a 17-13 victory over the Scarlets, while the Ospreys overcame the Dragons 20-10.

In the wake of the dip in crowd figures, the event then faced an uncertain future at the start of this season.

The Union contacted the four regions to inform them the existing agreement no longer stood.

This was because the terms for it were entered into under the old Participation Agreement, which had expired, with a new Rugby Services Agreement having been signed after months of dispute.

The Union did say they wanted to carry on with the double header project and were keen to meet with the regions to agree new terms .

Now that deal has been done.

Under the original contract, the two home sides - the Blues and the Dragons - received a guaranteed fee from the WRU for switching their games to the Millennium and it’s understood a fresh agreement has been reached on that basis
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Congrats to Newport winning the group in the tin cup
Also feel Ospreys are due a decent performance at home in Europe - no reason they can't beat Northhampton.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Congrats to Newport winning the group in the tin cup
Also feel Ospreys are due a decent performance at home in Europe - no reason they can't beat Northhampton.
everyone else in the Parker Pen hoping one team at least wants to win it so they can avoid progressing
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

saints scrum and sheer physical size and power too much for us to handle, they are a good side I see them beating racing metro.

Looks like we are signing Brendan leonard from zebra next season, always rated him , will be a good addition
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:saints scrum and sheer physical size and power too much for us to handle, they are a good side I see them beating racing metro.

Looks like we are signing Brendan leonard from zebra next season, always rated him , will be a good addition
send Zebre back an Italian scrumhalf?
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

WALES 2015 RBS 6 NATIONS SQUAD:
Forwards: Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Bath), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, Capt), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).
Backs: Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon

Adam Jones looks to be done and dusted
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

JB1973 wrote:
Not the biggest surprise - had to come at some point.

What is the story with Gatland's policy of only selecting home based players - is that just "going forward" i.e. players already playing abroad are exempted?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Josh Navidi very hard done by not getting a call up based on the matches I have seen him play this season.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Vamos los azules wrote:Josh Navidi very hard done by not getting a call up based on the matches I have seen him play this season.
Agreed. But with WRUBurton and TwoPricks in the squad his particular talents are already well represented.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

JB1973 wrote:WALES 2015 RBS 6 NATIONS SQUAD:
Forwards: Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Bath), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, Capt), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).
Backs: Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon

Yea but what a great servant to Welsh rugby. Take a bow.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Adam a legend and will rightly go down as an all time great of the welsh game.

I would still prefer him to anchor the scrum than Jarvis or Andrews if I'm honest.

Only one 8 in the squad is a worry ,Warburton would be the cover but I'm hoping Baker can make a comeback shortly and be added to the squad during the championship (same for ken owens)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Adam Jones got banned for driving for 6 months today too so not a good day!

Is Lee fit though? for opening rounds?

anything happens Faletau (mid game) and theyre snookered, although he's Heaslip like

bar front row and 8 theres decent depth in all positions

Halfpenny v Williams a big big call at 15