Munster 2014/2015

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

Re: Munster 2014/2015

Post by All Blacks nil »

Joe hasn't picked him in his initial squad.
That would have been a surprise at the start of the season.

Copeland has a bit if catching up to do.
Foley gave both himself and Stander their chance at 8 , with Stander taking his opportunity
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Nick Williams is a warning that decent 8s can struggle in Munster if they need to play their own game.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

ronk wrote:Nick Williams is a warning that injured 8s who struggle to look after themselves and are indiciplined in their lifestyle will struggle in Munster.
Fixed that for you.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Too busy drinking pints and eating in takeaways, whether its settling down with the missus or the change of scenery to where there are no good pubs (Cork has by a distance the best night life in ireland) I dont know but he definitely moved up a gear
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sewa wrote:Too busy drinking pints and eating in takeaways, whether its settling down with the missus or the change of scenery to where there are no good pubs (Cork has by a distance the best night life in ireland) I dont know but he definitely moved up a gear
Anywhere that full of Cork people can't have the best of anything.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jezzer wrote:
sewa wrote:Too busy drinking pints and eating in takeaways, whether its settling down with the missus or the change of scenery to where there are no good pubs (Cork has by a distance the best night life in ireland) I dont know but he definitely moved up a gear
Anywhere that full of Cork people can't have the best of anything.
:lol:

But it can believe it has, for damn sure.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Cork is like that place that Russell Crowe is brought to first in Gladiator before he is eventually brought to Rome.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

the spoofer wrote:
Cork is like that place that Russell Crowe is brought to first in Gladiator before he is eventually brought to Rome.
Are you referring to Limerick or Belfast there?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Munster v Saracens
Jones,
Conway, Smith, Hurley, Zebo;
Keatly, Murray;
Cronin, Casey, Botha;
Foley, O'Connell
O'Mahoney (capt), O'Donnell, Stander

Replacements: Guinazu, Kilcoyne, Archer, B Holland, Copeland, Williams, Hanrahan, Van Der Heever

2 Changes at prop as similar to last season, props alternated on successive weekends.
Otherwise unchanged.

Saracens
Alex Goode
Chris Ashton, Marlcelo Bosch, Brad Barritt ©, David Strettle;
Owen Farrell, Neil de Kock;
Richard Barrington, Jamie George, Petrus Du Plessis,
George Kruis, Jim Hamilton,
Kelly Brown, Will Fraser, Billy Vunipola.

Replacements; Scott Spurling, Rhys Gill, James Johnston, Mouritz Botha, Jackson Wray, Richard Wigglesworth, Charlie Hodgson, Duncan Taylor.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I am wholeheartedly getting behind Munster for this next game.

is it Gwan Athenry??
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Happy surprise for Munster with Johnston not starting at TH for Saracens, theyve gone for pretty much the biggest team they can though with Bosch and Hamilton coming in. Jamie George at hooker is a future international and means they actually play with 8 forwards and not 7 + Brits in the backline

Im in work and dont have BT so can someone record this for me and I'll call round at 12 30 or so to watch it? no spoilers please
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm very surprised that Munster haven't made changes in midfield, but that could be tempered by the change Saracens have made at ten. Hodgson gets them playing out wide in a way that Farrell just isn't capable of. I've never rated Farrell in attack, and whilst he's improving, he's likely to send runners back into traffic all afternoon. It's relentless and hard to stop, but I think Munster could cope with that. Don't think they could cope with Hodgson moving the ball wide and having Goode feed the wingers in the outside channels. Could be a big mistake by Saracens if they go for the arm wrestle.
Captain Average
Learner

Post by Captain Average »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm very surprised that Munster haven't made changes in midfield, but that could be tempered by the change Saracens have made at ten.
Foley is very concerned at having his only two out halves on the pitch at the same time, for 80 minutes. One of them gets crocked, we're in serious trouble. Also, he has stated that they have fixed the defensive issues in training this week. I'd certainly believe him, or least the fact that he thinks they've fixed it. He's not really one for sugar coating issues.
Dave Kearney - Ian Dowling Mk II
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I'm somewhat surprised Saracens have brought Farrell back in for this one. He has barely played this season because of injury and can't be match fit. I would think that decision is in Munster's favour (and it would also be interesting to know whether the England coaches are wanting Farrell getting game time ahead of the AIs and have put any pressure on Saracens, given the obvious connections).
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Think it might just be because he can handle runners down his channel all day long (and Munster don't have much else up their sleeve) and he can kick his goals from all over the place. Then Hodgson could come on when the game opens up a bit. It is risky, but I can see the logic.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Think it might just be because he can handle runners down his channel all day long (and Munster don't have much else up their sleeve) and he can kick his goals from all over the place. Then Hodgson could come on when the game opens up a bit. It is risky, but I can see the logic.
Given his previous track record in Thomond Park, it might be risky to rely on Farrell making his kicks. Mind you, Hodgson missed a few against Clermont so assuming Farrell doesn't have the Thomond meltdown again it may be wise.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

Captain Average wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm very surprised that Munster haven't made changes in midfield, but that could be tempered by the change Saracens have made at ten.
Foley is very concerned at having his only two out halves on the pitch at the same time, for 80 minutes. One of them gets crocked, we're in serious trouble.
Sounds like he's saving for a rainy day when it's lashing rain outside. While I could understand that logic for, say, a Pro12 game, this is a must-win match against a good team, I'd have thought it's wisest to get what he considers to be his best team on the pitch.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

kendalgerty wrote:
Captain Average wrote:
Foley is very concerned at having his only two out halves on the pitch at the same time, for 80 minutes. One of them gets crocked, we're in serious trouble.
Sounds like he's saving for a rainy day when it's lashing rain outside. While I could understand that logic for, say, a Pro12 game, this is a must-win match against a good team, I'd have thought it's wisest to get what he considers to be his best team on the pitch.
Problem is then that Keatley and JJ don't have that much game time together.

Had Bleyndaal been fit. He would have 3 x 10/12s that he could shuffle about between 10, 12 and 22.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Captain Average wrote:
Foley is very concerned at having his only two out halves on the pitch at the same time, for 80 minutes. One of them gets crocked, we're in serious trouble. Also, he has stated that they have fixed the defensive issues in training this week. I'd certainly believe him, or least the fact that he thinks they've fixed it. He's not really one for sugar coating issues.
by the size of him I'd say Foley sugar coats most things :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:Problem is then that Keatley and JJ don't have that much game time together.

Had Bleyndaal been fit. He would have 3 x 10/12s that he could shuffle about between 10, 12 and 22.
But Bleyndaal wouldn't have arrived soon enough would he? IIRC ITm cup doesn't end until start of October
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles